Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mendy and Zouma ...why did the police wait til now ?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We do not have to look any further than the current playing staff at Brighton to see how cases of alleged crime can end up in court, found not guilty , which to some would suggest doesn't mean he didnt do it, just it wasnt proved beyond doubt. Despite the "victim" later admitting it wasnt true. If found Not Guilty then you are Not Guilty-regardless of what individuals may think and should be treated as such

If the person(s) making the allegagtions are found to have fabricated it they should be charged with perjury and wasting police/court time.

There was a spate of cases a few years ago where innocent mern were found to be not guilty after having false allegations levied at them, the actions of anyone making false accusations makes it so much harder for actual offenses to be prosecutted.

It is of course a legal minefield, and all concerned in defending, prosecutting, and investigating have to walk a very fine line between conducting a proper and thorough investigation, whilst allowing for the possibility that the accused is actually the innocent party.

It is as wrong to blindly believe the accuser as it would be to blindly believe the accused. A careful and sensitive investigation into both sides of the crime, its very easy for the pendulum to swing to far one way or the other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
bit different with Bong as he alleged the comments and everyone knew all sides and all parties.

If the allegations are proved false then you would hope the girls would be held account as this could wreck his life

Best stop there as will be more court things in June
If the victim is shown to be lying they are charged with Perverting the Course of Justice, so therefore are held to account. It may be that there wasn't enough evidence to convict beyond all reasonable doubt.

A trial for Perverting the Course of Justice is a full trial with a jury, with the same evidence needed for a conviction.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The Old school way used to be " Innocent until proven Guilty , so, Not Guilty verdicts confirm being innocent unless there is a retrial and subsequent Guilty verdicts.

Legally you can't keep trying people until you get the verdict you want, that way lies China, Russia and Iran. Mr Mendy is currently innocent and will remain that way. He can't be innocent but Guilty at the same time.
I think you’re missing the context. My comments were in reply to a suggestion that people who made up stories against Mendy should face consequences. All I was trying to say is that Mendy being found not guilty does not mean that his accusers were lying.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not guilty does not mean innocent. It simply means that he could not be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. Having reasonable doubt about his innocence does not mean that there is sufficient evidence to accuse anyone of making up stories. I have not followed the case so I am only talking in general terms.

A simple example being Jay Rodriguez and Gaetan Bong. Just because Rodriguez was cleared of saying anything racist to Bong does not mean bong should face any action over making the allegation.
Not guilty means not guilty, end of - and anyone who goes round saying he was gulty is in danger of coming a cropper against the laws of libel and slander; not recommended! The case against Rodrguez was found not proven (a verdict not available in English law courts, but is in an FA enquiry), but not 'not guilty' (in spite of the Middlesbrough fans triumphantly heralding it as a complete vindication - it wasn't; .....twats).

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Not guilty means not guilty, end of - and anyone who goes round saying he was gulty is in danger of coming a cropper against the laws of libel and slander; not recommended! The case against Rodrguez was found not proven (a verdict not available in English law courts, but is in an FA enquiry), but not 'not guilty' (in spite of the Middlesbrough fans triumphantly heralding it as a complete vindication - it wasn't; .....twats).
The context of my post was in response to a comment suggesting that his accusers should face action for making up stories about him. My point was Mendy being found not guilty does not mean they should be accused of lying.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We do not have to look any further than the current playing staff at Brighton to see how cases of alleged crime can end up in court, found not guilty , which to some would suggest doesn't mean he didnt do it, just it wasnt proved beyond doubt. Despite the "victim" later admitting it wasnt true. If found Not Guilty then you are Not Guilty-regardless of what individuals may think and should be treated as such

If the person(s) making the allegagtions are found to have fabricated it they should be charged with perjury and wasting police/court time.

There was a spate of cases a few years ago where innocent mern were found to be not guilty after having false allegations levied at them, the actions of anyone making false accusations makes it so much harder for actual offenses to be prosecutted.

It is of course a legal minefield, and all concerned in defending, prosecutting, and investigating have to walk a very fine line between conducting a proper and thorough investigation, whilst allowing for the possibility that the accused is actually the innocent party.

It is as wrong to blindly believe the accuser as it would be to blindly believe the accused. A careful and sensitive investigation into both sides of the crime, its very easy for the pendulum to swing to far one way or the other.
Interesting your comment on the alleged victim of the young lads jury’s in case admitting it wasn’t true (which is what I think you’re saying?). Is that fact / proven in any way anywhere pls? Not digging, literally intrigued (diue to someonething I’d been told).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If the allegations are proved false then you would hope the girls would be held account as this could wreck his life

Best stop there as will be more court things in June
Rape is a hard enough thing for victims to come forward about anyway. I’m not on board with the idea that if the defendant is found not guilty then the accuser is then subjected to punishment themselves.

It doesn’t happen with any other crime.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Be very careful here - no suggestion the alleged victims in the Mendy count have made stuff up. Also worth noting, Mendy may believe what he said he did (consensual) as his absolute truth / take on it and the women who brought the multiple charges may have their absolute truth / take on it that is wasn’t consensual. In which case there’s certainly no winners and it’s very difficult to black or white say what happened / was the case.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rape is a hard enough thing for victims to come forward about anyway. I’m not on board with the idea that if the defendant is found not guilty then the accuser is then subjected to punishment themselves.

It doesn’t happen with any other crime.
Quite right. Only if it’s clear any sort of allegations were completely fabricated should this happen or there’s always the risk of prosecuting a victim just because their abuser was found not guilty beyond any reasonable doubt. And would put many victims off bothering in the future. Very dodgy ground this.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Be very careful here - no suggestion the alleged victims in the Mendy count have made stuff up. Also worth noting, Mendy may believe what he said he did (consensual) as his absolute truth / take on it and the women who brought the multiple charges may have their absolute truth / take on it that is wasn’t consensual. In which case there’s certainly no winners and it’s very difficult to black or white say what happened / was the case.
Definitely - it’s incredibly difficult. My jury service involved a rape case - trying to get to ‘beyond reasonable doubt’ with little in the way of conclusive forensics can be highly complex and can simply boil down to who the jury thinks is telling the truth. Very possible that both sides think they are.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Definitely - it’s incredibly difficult. My jury service involved a rape case - trying to get to ‘beyond reasonable doubt’ with little in the way of conclusive forensics can be highly complex and can simply boil down to who the jury thinks is telling the truth. Very possible that both sides think they are.
Exactly that. Then you get 2 passionate people who aren’t lying in their heads but it’s complete stalemate and one will feel so hard done by whatever the verdict. There’s no answer to solve this - it’s human nature and opinions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The context of my post was in response to a comment suggesting that his accusers should face action for making up stories about him. My point was Mendy being found not guilty does not mean they should be accused of lying.
Fairy nuff. No idea whether this applies in this case, of course.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You would hope those that made up the stories be held accountable for this young man if and when cleared of

You would hope those that made up the stories be held accountable for this young man if and when cleared of everything
You would hope that powerful folk like him don't behave like he has. Don't blame those caught up in a powerful man's whims.

Disgusting unforgivable behaviour whether the junrers were able to techicly convict or not.

Sounds like a " short skirt so she deserved it" argument.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The court of public opinion has never been bigger. A disgusting albeit innocent man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here