Memories...........

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Southend on New Year's Day (I think: might have been Boxing Day) at Withdean, anyone?

A pitch of a standard so poor, even Charlton Athletic would have been embarrassed. Conceded an early goal and then spent the remaining 80 minutes or so chasing around pathetically, failing to score ourselves, eventually losing to the single goal.

Then we all complained about the pitch. Southend's manager didn't think it was so bad, for some reason.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Southend on New Year's Day (I think: might have been Boxing Day) at Withdean, anyone?

A pitch of a standard so poor, even Charlton Athletic would have been embarrassed. Conceded an early goal and then spent the remaining 80 minutes or so chasing around pathetically, failing to score ourselves, eventually losing to the single goal.

Then we all complained about the pitch. Southend's manager didn't think it was so bad, for some reason.

Old official site match report

Yep, New Years Day 2001. Adams started with Zamora on the bench. Daniel Webb played for Southend, and one of their two goals was scored by David Lee.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

And I think after that we didn't play a home match for SIX weeks due to the weather.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Digweed-Hutchings-Pearce-Wilson-Young-O'Reilly-Saunders-Penney-Fashanu-Conner-Mortimer.

That lot would give this year's team a game!

On paper this was a good team. However ....eight of these played in our relegation season to the third tier, so my memory is of wondering how this could have possibly happened. The beginning of dark forces at work?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Digweed-Hutchings-Pearce-Wilson-Young-O'Reilly-Saunders-Penney-Fashanu-Conner-Mortimer.

That lot would give this year's team a game!

If Sami turns out to be half the manager Chris Cattlin was he'll have done well

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On paper this was a good team. However ....eight of these played in our relegation season to the third tier, so my memory is of wondering how this could have possibly happened. The beginning of dark forces at work?[

Are you sure about that? I am struggling to remember of any of them being in a relegation from the second division.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
On paper this was a good team. However ....eight of these played in our relegation season to the third tier, so my memory is of wondering how this could have possibly happened. The beginning of dark forces at work?
Binning Cattlin, using Mullery as the hatchet man then getting Barry Lloyd in didn't help.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013

Was that the game where a hole opened up in the pitch

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Nicky rust, Steve foster, Paul mccarthy, Ian chapman, Peter smith, Stuart storer, dean Wilkins, jeff Minton, junior mcdougal, kurt nogan, john Byrne, jimmy case, - brings back some great memories!! Especially trough some very difficult times!!
Irish or Maltese or a pig?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Nicky rust, Steve foster, Paul mccarthy, Ian chapman, Peter smith, Stuart storer, dean Wilkins, jeff Minton, junior mcdougal, kurt nogan, john Byrne, jimmy case, - brings back some great memories!! Especially trough some very difficult times!!

Great days. Great guys.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The walk down the lane, the mud and lake strewn lane between the station and withers. It was so dark down there you just followed the outline of the person on front. If you stepped into one of the rivers someone would have to throw a life vest your way.

The stampy feet onto the second hand south stand.

The urinals in the south corner of the west stand at the goldstone. A health hazard of epic proportions.

livewire11

Banned
Feb 10, 2011
That was more or less my first squad of players I grew up with!! Was about 10 years old and I loved watching every minute of it - cried my heart out when we lost the goldstone!! I loved Ian chapman - no nonsense left back!! Was obviously bad times but that got my heart into Albion and I'm pleased I have been through the hard times with brighton as I appreciate where we are now!!

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It's perfectly reasonable to have good memories of shit times.

I remember the occasional unexpected victory against all the odds. The group of diehards travelling on the buses to the Pissfield. Scott McGleish's early appearances on our radar. Peter Smith's gangly unpredictability. Wendy's once-in-a-lifetime free kick. Bellotti being chased out of the West Stand more than once. The fireworks followed by the mass exodus from the Goldstone during an evening game. The people you met during all the campaigning.

There were some lovely moments and a lot of fun in amongst the many years of stress, loathing, and football less appealing than a turd panini.

All...which make it all the more infuriating when prats whinge at the devastating nightmare of TB not having purchased a world class striker this season. Which started ..... Oh not yet !

.... You are also correct that the panini isn't appealing, though I have noticed more recently that turd fillings have become generally more available, though thankfully not at The Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports