Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Memories of Withdean

With a lot of our newer / younger / Iranian fans having joined us over the past few years I thought it'd be fun to share some memories of our previous home to show them what they missed!

This pic I saw today really brought it all flooding back. The superb 'away end'. Also, from this angle you could either watch the game or the ladies pilates class at the gym opposite.

View attachment 130577

One of the funniest memories I have was of the Swindon play off game where I was sat at the very back of the South Stand. The rain was terrible. My seat (not my usual one in the North Stand), and being directly under some trees, provided me with what was basically a constant gush of water on to my head. It was like sitting under a cold tap on full. Brilliant!

Looks very close to where I sat, I was a mere 17 years old when I moved into that block from the family stand.

Also, I forgot to say, the Withdean firework man haha Absolutely creased up when they went off, it was a house behind the away end, wasn't it?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My most bizarre recollection of Withdean was as a helper in the disability corner, that awful relic of the way football clubs used to house their fans who couldn't do the stairs.

In torrential rain under that ridiculous awning (donated from a butcher) we pulled all the wheelchairs back to protect the users from the rain and stood behind them.

A message was then embarrassingly relayed to the helpers (via the stewards) from the police box that as Withdean was an all-seater stadium, the helpers would need to move away from the wheelchairs and take a seat in the rain.

Yes that really happened.

It was one of the reasons I was so appalled by the delays to the disability provision at the Amex.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
My most bizarre recollection of Withdean was as a helper in the disability corner, that awful relic of the way football clubs used to house their fans who couldn't do the stairs.

In torrential rain under that ridiculous awning (donated from a butcher) we pulled all the wheelchairs back to protect the users from the rain and stood behind them.

A message was then embarrassingly relayed to the helpers (via the stewards) from the police box that as Withdean was an all-seater stadium, the helpers would need to move away from the wheelchairs and take a seat in the rain.

Yes that really happened.

It was one of the reasons I was so appalled by the delays to the disability provision at the Amex.

God that’s terrible. Shameful

Would you say we have now got it right at the AMEX?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
With a lot of our newer / younger / Iranian fans having joined us over the past few years I thought it'd be fun to share some memories of our previous home to show them what they missed!

This pic I saw today really brought it all flooding back. The superb 'away end'. Also, from this angle you could either watch the game or the ladies pilates class at the gym opposite.

View attachment 130577

One of the funniest memories I have was of the Swindon play off game where I was sat at the very back of the South Stand. The rain was terrible. My seat (not my usual one in the North Stand), and being directly under some trees, provided me with what was basically a constant gush of water on to my head. It was like sitting under a cold tap on full. Brilliant!

Great thread. Very enjoyable

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Does anyone remember the game against Millwall, some of the most torrential rain I’ve ever seen, I’ve never been so soaked through in my life, the Poncho salesman that day must have had a field day.

Slightly eased by the fact we won 4-1 or something like that.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Answer B: Wistful, as living in London and not being a STH, I didnt stand a chance of getting a ticket, although I did try on many counts :thumbsup:

Getting a ticket in the last few seasons apart from the very last one wasn't a problem, didn't sell out for a lot of games.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Does anyone remember the game against Millwall, some of the most torrential rain I’ve ever seen, I’ve never been so soaked through in my life, the Poncho salesman that day must have had a field day.

I remember an early Sat kick off Vs Milwall . . . some MIlwall fan in my seat, absolutely hammered, must have been up all night. . . .and I thought we'd had a good Friday night! :lolol::mad:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Getting a ticket in the last few seasons apart from the very last one wasn't a problem, didn't sell out for a lot of games.

I think I gave up my ST in 2005 under Magoo, it was like watching paint dry. Obviously I wasn't the only one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

That day was bloody horrible. I remember sheltering at half time inside one of the turnstile entances in the South Stand, like it was a sentry box or something. Was well past caring about the result even though we won handsomely. After the game we trudged back to the Brewery Tap and draped our outer layers over every available radiator

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
God that’s terrible. Shameful

Would you say we have now got it right at the AMEX?

I've no idea because I don't act in that role anymore, but it was pretty indicative of the club's attitude towards disabled supporters at the time.

I'd imagine (and like to think) the Amex is one of the best in the country in that regard now.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That day was bloody horrible. I remember sheltering at half time inside one of the turnstile entances in the South Stand, like it was a sentry box or something. Was well past caring about the result even though we won handsomely. After the game we trudged back to the Brewery Tap and draped our outer layers over every available radiator

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x98kvz

Just look how wet it was around the pitch, big Glenn with two goals and two asssts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The first two or three seasons it was very difficult because it was restricted to 5000 tickets, with 3000 in the ballot. We were winning games to get promoted twice. Then it dropped off again with relegation under Coppel, the extra seats, and picked up again at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here