Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of the York "riot"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Let's face it, all 10,000 inside the ground knew it was going to KICK OFF.

At the time I was a bit miffed that the game was abandoned after only 8 minutes.

I'll always remember some skinhead snapping the North Stand cross bar :tosser: and Krispies being chased down the North stand terrace. :D

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I remember my dad telling me to 'be careful' as I left the house and he knew there would be some ROTTERS there (I think he meant to Combat 18 boys that showed up). As for the riot I just walked on the pitch for a few minutes and buggered off not quite understanding the lengths we'd had to go to. Felt lower there than I did while standing outside the Mansfield game giving my season ticket to whomever was collecting them to redistribute to those that really wanted to go in.

Horrible.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I took my daughter to that game so she could see what being a Brighton fan was all about. It was very moving.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Just cross-pollinated this thread to Red Passion, so they know how football fans should not behave
:D

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
On the Left Wing said:
Just cross-pollinated this thread to Red Passion, so they know how football fans should not behave
:D

I missed that game BTW, but remember Mansfield well and of course the last game

Last edited:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
was it only 8 minutes? seemed like longer....

ESIC (nsc RIP) and myself retired to the sussex with some very decent york city fans who'd made the trip down even though they were half expecting the riot.

a surreal afternoon indeed

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I remember singing "it's a big day in the North" by Black Grape on the way to the ground, which it was.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I actually reported on that game for the Sunday Times, interviewed fans on the pitch, but none of the quotes went in :( Fortunately, the ST didn't go quite as RIOT crazy as the Screws and co.

Was weird, the feeling before the game, you could feel the tension brewing. We probably wouldn't be here today if it hadn't been for that game. :clap:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
27464.jpg

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Felt lower there than I did while standing outside the Mansfield game giving my season ticket to whomever was collecting them to redistribute to those that really wanted to go in.

Horrible.

But then the East terrace was invaded!
:eek:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
But then the East terrace was invaded!
:eek:

I know, I went in. The weirdest feeling was climbing into the away end and then across into the Directors box to watch the rest of the game.

It's amazing how we got away with it really.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I know, I went in. The weirdest feeling was climbing into the away end and then across into the Directors box to watch the rest of the game.

It's amazing how we got away with it really.

Similar feeling to our game at Belle Vue against Donny Rovers when our lads led the climb across to their directors's box to get at Richardson - I wasn't part of that attempt but cheered with pride!

Very odd times indeed ...

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I bought the video of the York game.

I remember getting the train back home to Essex and complete strangers asking me what was going on, then seeing it as the first story on the news that evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here