Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Memories of Justin Fashanu?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't contain anything about his life 'off the pitch' in Brighton, but there was an excellent interview with his niece in the programme for the game against Palace. If this is a serious piece of research into his life, you could try contacting her.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I had a similar experience in the late 80s playing for a dads v pros match at a coaching course for the kids. I played in goal and Geoff Cooper hit a shot that, if I had got my hand to it, would have crushed my fingers against the post and smashed them all. In fact Gerry Armstrong put a header past me that I never even saw it was going so quick.

I was in goal on a beat the goalie at our school fete. Emelyn Hughes was guest of honour, he just back heeled a penalty past me, then another then another...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have Justin Fashanu in my best ever hand painted Subbuteo team from around 1986/7

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I note the criticism of brother John above, but if you saw the documentary made by John's daughter you'll see it was Justin's slightly bonkers behaviour especially towards the end that got John's goat. If John's on record being a dick earlier, then maybe his daughter was complicit in a bit of revisionism, but I didn't get that impression whan I watched the programme.

Odd first post, that, from the OP. I doubt he's getting the response he expected.

From what I recall, John was reported as have something rather crude to say about Justin's sexuality. I would add, hastily, that this was in an interview with a red top meaning it may not have been a trustworthy source and would only have been in line with the attitude of the time anyway. Times have thankfully moved on.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yes - I do.

But the OP hasn't responded to an early post asking for details of his project and if he can't be arsed to do that then I cant be arsed to tell him about Justin!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:lolol: I think you need to take up the reigns and I’ll revert back to my old username Harold as you’re more on the game than me as usual! I even read through the thread with no suspicions! :lolol:

I think there is another team at the moment that we need a Finder General for. It wasn't Palace that came to mind straight away.

This does have a whiff of chips, mushy peas and gravy about it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Does anyone have any memories of Justin Fashanu in Brighton?
His career is well recorded so I'm looking for more off-pitch memories than on.
They'll probably be during his time as a BHA player 1985/86 or later.
This is local history research so any help appreciated.

Any further details on your massively important, yet incredibly niche, local history project ???

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I think there is another team at the moment that we need a Finder General for. It wasn't Palace that came to mind straight away.

This does have a whiff of chips, mushy peas and gravy about it.

Our last opponents you say. This will teach us for going to their ground and showing them how to play football, the way it should be played.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Met him outside the ground when he was injured and had a quick chat with him (I was 8 years old). Was a lovely guy - have got a photo of me and him that Dad took. Mick Ferguson was also there and moved out of the way when the photo was taken - even aged 8, I remember it being horribly cringeworthy - Dad thankfully told him to get back in the photo (obviously photoshopped him out when the technology appeared 20 years later...)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Does anyone have any memories of Justin Fashanu in Brighton?
His career is well recorded so I'm looking for more off-pitch memories than on.
They'll probably be during his time as a BHA player 1985/86 or later.
This is local history research so any help appreciated.

Is the subject of your project ‘disappointing Brighton players in the mid to late 80s’?

Only I’ve got a few Richard Tiltman tales that I’m pretty sure would be a good for a chapter.

And don’t get me started on Grant Horscroft.

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Can you give a little more detail about your project please?

Hi, sure. My research will go to the Brighton & Hove Black History group as Justin Fashanu isn't currently listed on their website: https://www.black-history.org.uk/category/20th-century/. And if it goes well I'll be writing an article for Black History Month in Gscene magazine. His football career is well documented but brief in Brighton, I'm trying to connect him as a person to people and locations in town.

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Only in so far as I was greatly excited by his signing. He was a big name coming to the Albion, then in the 2nd tier, after ‘that goal’ made him a household name. Certainly sent a real buzz around the playground and couldn’t wait to get down to the Goldstone and see him play along with some other big names albeit at the end of their careers. As for his sexuality, neither knew or would have cared as a kid. It never came into conversation. Was just very excited Justin Fashanu had signed for us. And very saddened when he died in 1990 was it? Especially when his story began to be told later in 90s. It was all so unnecessary. We’re a million miles away from how bad things were back then. I mean, they were really bad back then by comparison. I can’t imagine how tough it must have been being a young adopted black and gay footballer in the 70s and 80s. We treated ex Nazis war criminals better. Shameful.

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Very excited when we signed Fashanu.

Had always been very physical against us (am being kind), somehow got away with wearing a large ring if I recall, also had been an amateur boxer I believe, so when Rollings ended up with a broken nose and Clarke had a significant cut across his head, the crowd turned really venomous towards him.

Of course when he signed he became an almost instant hero.....

Think the song was to a BA advert.......

We’ll take good care of you
Fashanu
Fashanuuuuu

Sadly his knee was playing up by that time and he was in and out of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, thanks for the song memory I hadn't heard that! Can you remember the original words?

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
He liked creme de menthe and furry hats , he wasnt much cop on the dancefloor either , mind you by the time Bellamey's nightclub filled up nobody could hardly stand up anyway so he blended right in .

I've seen the furry hat picture :)
Where is/was Bellamey's nightclub?

alfleflo

Aug 9, 2020
Trevor Wood was lodging with me during his time and Trev got him to sign a personalised birthday card for me from him. I haven’t kept many of my old autographs - I have given most of my stuff to my eldest who collects that sort of stuff, but this one is a keeper.
I certainly remember him playing for us but reflecting on his club career, he never really seems to have settled anywhere, which, in hindsight is understandable and sad. In many ways ahead of his time and perhaps in the modern era he would have been more understood and accepted, and still be with us.

Thanks for replying - that's a sweet memory :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here