Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories Of Brighton Promotions

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
3rd May 1977

night game at home to sheff wed,won 3-2

would be great if someone can fill in the blanks to this game,i just remember the party atomsphere,but the goals and what order,i have no idea

remember newcastle very well,3 up at half time done & dusted,shaking hands with geordies outside,they were just as pleased,as we went up at sunderland's expense

another i remember well,bristol rovers at the goldstone,some bloke in a wheelchair managed to get to the centre circle first,only for the ref to clear the pitch and blow a minute later,got some turf that day

special,special days,let's here yours

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
1976/77 Brighton v Sheffield Wednesday, Att. 30,756

"...Jack Charlton's Wednesday, in seventh position, did their best to spoil the party on the night, scoring in the first minute, and holding out to go into the interval 1-0 up. Just after the restart the nervous crowd could afford to relax slightly as Brighton were awarded a penalty, and Ward stepped up to take it. Everyone was confident. He was deadly in the box... until he missed. But Ward made amends with a 57th minute equaliser, and on 71 minutes he won another penalty for Brighton. A season's toil rested on one kick. Skipper Horton took it this time, and made no mistake. Local boy Steve Piper slammed home a third goal four minutes from time which meant that Wednesday's second goal, scored in the last minute, served only to add to the tension. The referee's final whistle signalled a celebratory crowd invasion, and Brighton were on a roll that eventually took them to the First Division and the FA Cup Final."

Alex Leith, 'It Was Magic.'

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
1964/65 saw the coming of former England striker Bobby Smith for the bargain price of £5,000. Just 6 months earlier he scored in England's 8-1 win over Northern Ireland. Season ticket sales soared. The Albion had scored 99 goals by the time they welcomed Darlington to the Goldstone for the final game of the season. We needed a point to claim promotion, two points would ensure the title. The game was played on a dry calm Monday evening and 31,423 fans squeezed into the ground. Brighton played some lovely football and were soon ahead with a Jimmy Collins goal on 19 minutes. Jack Smith tucked home a second goal just before half-time and the result seemed to be ensured. Strangely the game changed in the second half and the Albion soon conceded a well worked goal. The nail biting ended though when the ever youthful Wally Gould knocked in the winner. The final whistle was greeted with a pitch invasion and the players threw their shirts to the crowd from the West stand. Only 5 points were dropped at home that season and the team averaged almost 3 goals a game at the Goldstone.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If we got promoted this season it would buck the trend of some very poor seasons in the years ending in '3':

1962/63 Relegated from Div 3
1972/73 Relegated from Div 2
1982/83 Relegated from Div 1
1992/93 Stayed in same division
2002/03 Relegated from Div 1 (second tier)
2012/13 ??

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If we got promoted this season it would buck the trend of some very poor seasons in the years ending in '3':

2012/13 ??

Well spotted Sir. Even if this is a "Stayed in same division" I suspect it will be more enjoyable than 92/93.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

2012/13 ??

Just to add to that, in 2002/03 we also beat Burnley away 3-1, look what happened there, :moo:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I remember Plymouth in 2000/01....I was standing next to Paul Camillin near the end. I think we needed Hull to win to be sure of going up, and PC was keeping tabs on the other scores. I rushed down to the front at the final whistle and Bob Booker happened to grab me by the hand and shout "are we up?", which I was able to confirm!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
That Shef Weds game was a thriller as it looked like nerves had got the better of us, going a goal down & missing a pen. the sheer relief of the equiliser and eventually taking the lead was fantastic and, at the 3rd goal we thought it was all over and fans were already 'over the wall' ready to invade the pitch. Infact Weds late goal was scored when some were on the pitch & I don't think the ref could let the game go on much longer anyway.

el punal

Promotion night 71/72 v Rochdale.
I used to work part-time in a pub regularly frequented by this family (Mum, Dad, 2 teenage sons) who loudly proclaimed that they were going to the game. They had never been before but decided that as this was a big match they would see what all the fuss was about.
Now, I had been to almost all the Albion home games that season, which they knew,so asked me what to do. Get there very early and be ready to be crushed, was my reply.
A look of doubt spread across their faces, then one piped up :"What colours do Brighton play in?" Aaargh!!

I went early, I got crushed and I enjoyed every single second of it!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Promotion night 71/72 v Rochdale.
I used to work part-time in a pub regularly frequented by this family (Mum, Dad, 2 teenage sons) who loudly proclaimed that they were going to the game. They had never been before but decided that as this was a big match they would see what all the fuss was about.
Now, I had been to almost all the Albion home games that season, which they knew,so asked me what to do. Get there very early and be ready to be crushed, was my reply.
A look of doubt spread across their faces, then one piped up :"What colours do Brighton play in?" Aaargh!!

I went early, I got crushed and I enjoyed every single second of it!

Albion fans often talk about the supposed stitch-up between Southampton and Tottenham six years later but wasn't this also a game of two teams playing for a draw, once Rochdale equalised?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I'[ve been blessed with seeing every promotion team since 1958...probably 1964 had the most impact on me....every forward player got into double figures in scoring...including the comedian Bill Cassidy. That is not saying that the promotions after that were not as good,,,,every promotion is great and hopefully I will get to see another soon......ALBION!

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Albion fans often talk about the supposed stitch-up between Southampton and Tottenham six years later but wasn't this also a game of two teams playing for a draw, once Rochdale equalised?

Agree with that one from memory we needed a point and Rochdale needed a point to avoid relegation

chairman

Mar 5, 2009
lostwithiel cornwall
sadly im old enough to remember home to watford 1958/59 season. As a kid we were lifted down over the crowd and sat on the track around the pitch. A six nil win and we couldnt believe we had won promotion from 3rd divison south to the second division, how things have changed.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
76/77 was the first promotion I saw. I remember several of us at school the next day had mud on our shoes & trousers from the post match pitch invasion and felt really cool.

el punal

Interesting point. Were Rochdale in danger of relegation then? My view was that the players (from both sides) decided to "go on holiday". Long time ago though eh!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think your 1st promotion is always special.
Mine was 71/72 and, although the actual match was pretty poor and yes, a setup draw, the occasion and the season was just fantastic

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interesting point. Were Rochdale in danger of relegation then? My view was that the players (from both sides) decided to "go on holiday". Long time ago though eh!

Yes, they finished on 37 points, one point above four clubs on 36, two of whom were relegated.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
79 i think Away at Newcastle got back at about 1 in the morning, and it seemed like thousands of us took over the Old Steine for a party, dancing in the fountain and everything eventualy made it home to Hove at about 7am

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Daily Express report from May 1972:

express.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here