Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Megxit

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
But they're leaving, so we're NOT paying for them anymore. Therefore, those people should be very happy.

It's almost like some people find a way to be ANGRY no matter what.

Not true. Someone has to pick up the tab for the security.

Although to be honest, a few Instagram posts/endorsements should cover that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But we'll still be paying for their security when they are over here. And they had some new wallpaper put up in their cottage and stuff.

I'm STEAMING hun.

Absolutely FUMMING

PM me xx too meny snacks on here

also FRIDAY at vodka revs 4 drinkies?! x

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
"Hairlair - can you hear one?"

"One can hear Archie in the background, can one go on mute please?"

"One's internet connection is awful, frankly. One is dialling back in"

"Re-boot the Router Gran. It's under the floor in the Drawing room by the statue of George III"

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
No income tax, no VAT...

7DED6974-2F78-4BD4-9B5A-3A0AEBFA689F.jpeg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A good analysis from Nick Witchells junior in the BBC Royal Newsroom...

There is no application form for the Royal Family. No interview, no appeal, few in the way of entrances or exits. It is that strange lottery, an accident of birth.

But to stay royal you have to do two things. Serve, and survive.

You have to do some service. Some of it ceremonial, and often dull. Some of it - if it involves celebrities or travel - less dull. A lot of it is woven into the civic life of the UK - openings, namings, lunches and dinners, the country craves the Royal Family and the Royal Family delivers for its subjects.

You have to survive. You have to aid - and certainly not threaten - the survival of the House of Windsor and the British monarchy.

It's not the worst life. It is a constrained life, often unchosen. In exchange for a fairly comfortable standard of living in perpetuity, you lose a lot of choice.

But you must do these two things if you want to remain a royal.

And it's not clear that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex really want to do either.

In Sandringham later the players will receive a series of options, a range of possibilities.

These will be based on the stated aim of Prince Harry and Meghan that they want financial independence, to take paid employment, to spend a lot more time outside the UK, to exclude the media from their lives at their discretion and to continue at least in part, a royal life, service to the Queen.

Leaving aside the heady brew of contradictions detailed elsewhere, the balancing of these different aims and demands is hard enough. Money is a big issue.

But so will be the status of the court of Prince Harry and Meghan that emerges. Will it be entirely independent of the palace, of the monarchy? Will the palace retain any veto on direction or projects for the couple?

Much, says one official, depends on how much royal work the prince and Meghan intend to do, and where, the signs are they will do as little as possible but do not want to lose their Royal privileges.

To watch Prince Harry for not very long, as I have, is to observe a man who comes alive with crowds, with love, with those who need him. The crowds love him and he loves them.

But also to see a man entirely unhappy with his lot. A man who desperately wants to get away from cameras, observers, outsiders, looking and filming and exploiting him.

Now the prince, who has worn the nation's uniform in combat and amongst death and injury, is openly sneered at across pages and feeds and memes. It is hardly a great national moment, it is to an extent a national disgrace.

Prince Harry has had a hard time, from when his mother was taken from him, a boy aged 12. It is important to remember also because it demolishes the Meghan Myth - that somehow she is the root of all today's turmoil.

The Meghan Myth is nonsense, with a generous sprinkling of spite, misogyny and some racism. The prince always wanted out. And together, with her brains and understanding and love, they think they have a way.

Maybe a deal comes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. But what are not up for negotiation are service and survival. Both must be observed by Prince Harry and Meghan if they are to remain royals.

'Looking for exit'

Perhaps Prince Harry's allergy to media coverage can be managed at those royal events and duties he attends. Perhaps the couple will make themselves available to a significant and visible degree of service.

But the style of their departure from familial obligation, their declaration of independence last week, was so abrupt and so disrespectful.

The duke has gone beyond rebellious prince. Meghan, the enabler, is in Canada, with child and dogs. That degree of going rogue looks quite a lot like a direct threat to the survival of the monarchy.

That is why today's meeting is hard.

Maybe the two sides can strike a deal over the next day, two days, invent a new structure that officials say might be emulated for a new royal generation.

But will the couple really agree to the restrictions that service and survival demand?

A deal will probably be crafted - however the direction of travel is one way. Prince Harry and Meghan are looking for the exit and the whole Nation is depressed as a result.

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Crunch talks today between HRH Her Majesty The Queen, Prince Charles, Prince WIlliam and Prince Harry.

Lets all hope for an amicable solution and resolution to this unrest. It is erncouraging that it is reported that the Queen has offered them the opportunity to keep Frogmore Cottage as their home even if they spend the majority of their time in North America.

air b&b could help to pay for it !!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not true. Someone has to pick up the tab for the security.

Although to be honest, a few Instagram posts/endorsements should cover that.

Prince Henry, due to his service as an Apache pilot in Afghanistan is probably the primary target for Islamist terrorists in this country.
To withdraw the security arrangements for him and his immediate family, would be a failure in our duty of care to an ex- serviceman.
He was a full member of the Royals when he served, he deserves our protection , now whatever happens after this point.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Crunch talks today between HRH Her Majesty The Queen, Prince Charles, Prince WIlliam and Prince Harry.

Lets all hope for an amicable solution and resolution to this unrest. It is erncouraging that it is reported that the Queen has offered them the opportunity to keep Frogmore Cottage as their home even if they spend the majority of their time in North America.

You are a very, very, very naughty boy.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
She is American and they, as a nation, are jealous of our royal family as they dont have anything like it.

So, you think the problem is that she's jealous of the royal family, despite being part of it herself?

D

Deleted member 22389

Canada will pick up half the security bill if the papers are to be believed. It's a small price to pay for all the extra exposure and money that is generated because of the connection.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I really don't understand why anyone gives a single solitary shit about this situation.

I must admit it is a matter of great indifference to me!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes because her and Harry are only minor playerrs and will never be the ' stars' Had she married William the siutation would have been different as one day she would be top dog..

So, you think that (without any evidence, I might add) Meghan is pissed off at only being 10th (no idea) in line for the throne, and the clear racism of the British press is not a problem at all? Wow. Just. Wow.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that her natural American status means that she would expect to be a front runner in anything, that is the way Americans are bred. and brought up. Superior to all and above the rules and if not change the rules but do not expect them to change.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So, you think that (without any evidence, I might add) Meghan is pissed off at only being 10th (no idea) in line for the throne, and the clear racism of the British press is not a problem at all? Wow. Just. Wow.

I can’t say I’ve seen much , if any, racism in what I’ve read. Any chance of some links of this clear racism?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Moves were obviously at a very advanced state when she insulted The Queen by not joining in the time honoured Christmas at Sandringham. She knew what she was doing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why is it Megxit and not Sussexit? There are three of them stepping down, not just one.

Really nice to see the queen so supportive of their brave stance, shame others from that Pre-Boomer generation can’t be quite so understanding!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here