Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meeting with Paul Barber/Martrin Perry/Paul Camillin last night re safe standing

Interesting it was too. Mark (Ian Baird's Fist) was there as well. Previous to our meeting he'd been up lobbying Parliament - the most important aspect of the campaign of course, since for anything to happen changes have to be made in legislation.

Arguments against were the obvious ones, top of the list from both PB and MP seemed to me to be the 'identifiable individual in identifiable seat' line
and the allied 'more potential trouble in standing area' one. MP did actually say something along the lines of 'it's a sad fact that the majority has to suffer because of the actions of a minority'
I did of course point out that town centres aren't shut down on Friday and Saturday night because a few people cause trouble, the troublemakers are dealt with, that safe standing
works fine in Germany with full support from the German FA (and in most other European countries) and that - as I'm sure you know - thirteen English clubs are now backing the idea, with Aston Villa leading the way in the PL.
We've been through the debate on here, I think everyone knows where they stand (or sit) now, the same debate happened last night with the club so no need to go much further on the arguments back and forth.
One interesting variation was that Paul Barber said 'it's people who make an atmosphere, regardless of whether they are standing or sitting' and when I mentioned the colour and noise in Germany and elsewhere 'you can't compare it, it's a different culture' (not to me it's not, it's a part of fan culture, regardless of where you live..but there you go)

Very friendly meeting, the channels are still well and truly open, respect for us and the part we played in what we've got now is absolutely still there, PB seems a nice bloke who can handle being energetically argued with :)

Conclusion as I see it is this:

- Club NOT prepared to back it in principle, but not opposed to other clubs backing it in principle. Everything being discussed as per the situation now, nothing dismissed out of hand, if/when the situation changes and other clubs start implementing it then it's a different discussion and that is accepted. (We are obviously in a pretty unique position in this debate having just nearly completed a beautiful state of the art stadium, it's a weird time to start talking about alterations...)
- Incidentally NO increased revenue through increased North Stand capacity since loads of other factors including size and number of exits, number of toilets and various other safety issues mean accomodation would remain the same as a standing area (hence decreased prices would mean lower revenue)

I brought up the subject of the ticket exchange as well. Reasons are:
- maximising revenue - ie until we are completely sold out the club should be selling tickets not individual fans (I can see their argument, not sure it's entirely fair but it's a valid one)
- that 'identifiable individual in identifiable seat' business again

I did mention the whole issue of ticket prices, the fact that some people, including some who played a big part in the battle for our club, simply can't afford to go as much as they would like, and how that squared with 'inclusivity'. Outside of the staggered payments provision, to be honest, there didn't seem to be much interest in addressing that. But the ridiculously high ticket prices here affect everyone, not just us, I guess....

All in all a worthwhile couple of hours, shame the youth team got tonked, that Stoke No 9 looked useful

Was the cup final money mentioned???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
re the pricing for the Newcastle game , the net gate receipts will be split 45% Brighton 45% Newcastle 10% FA.

In regards to the ticket exchange, why can't they have a system (in a second, i'll explain) in which if a fan sells a ticket to another fan, then the fan holding the ticket holds a duty to let the club know of the change in details?

Whilst this may be complicated if it's purchased last minute, however.

If person X sells a ticket to person Y, person X should inform the club that person Y has the ticket, and the club updates the details to know who's in the seat now. This would mean that the club knows who is in the seat now, and any potential problems the person who originally held the ticket cannot be held accountable for the actions of person Y, as they now have information regarding person Y. Obviously this is a very basic idea, and could be amended. But what's peoples' thoughts on the concept?
It's a system that is already in place in Italy.

Cessione biglietti e abbonamenti | A.C. SIENA Sito Ufficiale

It ties in with the fact that Italian clubs have a nationally recognised system of "fan cards", essentially an ID card system that is used in conjunction with match tickets to gain entry to football matches. The ticket always matches an ID card. But the ticket holder can transfer the ticket to anyone they wish, provided the new ticket holder's ID card number is recorded and reported to the club no later than 2 hours before kick-off.

You don't need a national fan card system for this to work, though. Why not issue Albion fan cards to everyone who is on the club's database and use these to legitimise fan-organised ticket exchanges? There would obviously be a restriction on who could get a ticket through the exchange system, but it would give ticket holders who want to do private deals an opportunity to pass on tickets to people who are already known to the club. The "identifiable individual in an identifiable seat" principle wouldn't be compromised in any way.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting it was too. Mark (Ian Baird's Fist) was there as well. Previous to our meeting he'd been up lobbying Parliament - the most important aspect of the campaign of course, since for anything to happen changes have to be made in legislation.

Arguments against were the obvious ones, top of the list from both PB and MP seemed to me to be the 'identifiable individual in identifiable seat' line
and the allied 'more potential trouble in standing area' one. MP did actually say something along the lines of 'it's a sad fact that the majority has to suffer because of the actions of a minority'
I did of course point out that town centres aren't shut down on Friday and Saturday night because a few people cause trouble, the troublemakers are dealt with, that safe standing
works fine in Germany with full support from the German FA (and in most other European countries) and that - as I'm sure you know - thirteen English clubs are now backing the idea, with Aston Villa leading the way in the PL.
We've been through the debate on here, I think everyone knows where they stand (or sit) now, the same debate happened last night with the club so no need to go much further on the arguments back and forth.
One interesting variation was that Paul Barber said 'it's people who make an atmosphere, regardless of whether they are standing or sitting' and when I mentioned the colour and noise in Germany and elsewhere 'you can't compare it, it's a different culture' (not to me it's not, it's a part of fan culture, regardless of where you live..but there you go)

Very friendly meeting, the channels are still well and truly open, respect for us and the part we played in what we've got now is absolutely still there, PB seems a nice bloke who can handle being energetically argued with :)

Conclusion as I see it is this:

- Club NOT prepared to back it in principle, but not opposed to other clubs backing it in principle. Everything being discussed as per the situation now, nothing dismissed out of hand, if/when the situation changes and other clubs start implementing it then it's a different discussion and that is accepted. (We are obviously in a pretty unique position in this debate having just nearly completed a beautiful state of the art stadium, it's a weird time to start talking about alterations...)
- Incidentally NO increased revenue through increased North Stand capacity since loads of other factors including size and number of exits, number of toilets and various other safety issues mean accomodation would remain the same as a standing area (hence decreased prices would mean lower revenue)

I brought up the subject of the ticket exchange as well. Reasons are:
- maximising revenue - ie until we are completely sold out the club should be selling tickets not individual fans (I can see their argument, not sure it's entirely fair but it's a valid one)
- that 'identifiable individual in identifiable seat' business again

I did mention the whole issue of ticket prices, the fact that some people, including some who played a big part in the battle for our club, simply can't afford to go as much as they would like, and how that squared with 'inclusivity'. Outside of the staggered payments provision, to be honest, there didn't seem to be much interest in addressing that. But the ridiculously high ticket prices here affect everyone, not just us, I guess....

All in all a worthwhile couple of hours, shame the youth team got tonked, that Stoke No 9 looked useful

The most important part of this is the fact that lines of communication are still open.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I don't think the NUFC game is particularly over priced.. the transaction/admin fee for EACH ticket however, is outright abuse
Also remember the club do not get extra revenue...(apart from the sales in the shop and food and drink sold) from the 1901 club...free programmes and entry included in the price of of the membership for all first team cup games at the Amex.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
when are the test tube babies playing there again :facepalm:

Played in Birmingham on Saturday night alongside ANL,UK subs,Cock Sparrer,Exploited,Rancid,vice squad. Guessed you missed it, was a great all dayer.
The're touring Germany at the moment so wont be any time soon I'm afraid.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I did precisely that. MP denied that he had ever said 'if you get a ticket for the back four rows we'll let you stand'. He said that it was more along the lines of 'if you are someone who tends to stand more frequently than most, you might like to choose the back four rows because there will be a greater degree of tolerance'......

So all those fans who went to the presentations got the wrong end of the stick about being able to stand up in the back 4 rows ? Next we'll be told the North Stand was never intended to be aimed at the more vociferous and slightly raucous Albion fanbase and has to become more family friendly.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
So all those fans who went to the presentations got the wrong end of the stick about being able to stand up in the back 4 rows ? Next we'll be told the North Stand was never intended to be aimed at the more vociferous and slightly raucous Albion fanbase and has to become more family friendly.

I was told at the presentation by the bloke who ran the ticket office that Stewards would be more lenient to standing in the North Stand hence my reason for getting 3 Season tickets in there, I want to get involved for 90 minutes, not spend it in a Library which the Amex may become

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here