Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Meet up", "park up" ... why the "up"?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I am/was stood/sat has driven me to the point of emigrating.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It's very common - not just the examples the OP gives (though I admit 'park up' might be a bit American), so I don't really see why it should be annoying.

Link up, join up, top up, tune up, lift up, take up............add your own ad inf.
Wouldn't it be a turn up if this whole thread was a wind up?
I saw this thread just after exhorting Moshe Jnr for the nth time to eat up his vegetables... and I think that later in the evening I might have urged him to drink up his milk.

Must stop this dangerous nonsense before it gets out of hand..!!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
People are always saying "let's meet up". Why the "up"? "Let's meet" is just fine.

And then there's "I'll be with you shortly; I'm just going to park up". Park up where? What's wrong with "I'm going to park"?

Both irritate me ... but then again, as I get older, a lot of things irritate me!!

I thought NSC would like me to share this with you.

Anyone else have other irritating figures of speech which they'd like to share?

This isn't gospel, but I read somewhere once that 'meet up' originally came from a British 19th century taste for describing places as 'up at [placename]'. So saying 'let's meet / up at the market' slowly turned into 'let's meet up / at the market'.

It sort of makes sense, but it may be total bollocks.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
'tap in your PIN number'

Oh, someone on Radio 6 introduced a song as being by 'The' Pixies the other day.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
As I've posted previously, I detest the way that teenage girls and young women start almost every sentence with 'Ohmigod', and then insert at least 5 'likes' into ensuing sentence - the sentence then ending in that other young female annoyance, 'vocal fry'.

Also, corporate management-speak. I was invited to a 'sandpit event' this week - apparently, the latest buzz-phrase for a workshop or training session :mad:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Oh, just remembered, another word much loved (and therefore over-used) by managers and politicians: 'robust'.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
As I've posted previously, I detest the way that teenage girls and young women start almost every sentence with 'Ohmigod', and then insert at least 5 'likes' into ensuing sentence - the sentence then ending in that other young female annoyance, 'vocal fry'.

Also, corporate management-speak. I was invited to a 'sandpit event' this week - apparently, the latest buzz-phrase for a workshop or training session :mad:

We should add lol to that list. That really winds me (up)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here