Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Meet Peter Ward this Saturday

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was a very enjoyable afternoon with great company and around 50 people turned up

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, that's the point. All former players will wane in popularity. It's the reality of aging.

And by the way, I still hear songs about Knockaert and Murray.
But pretty much every other player disappear into obscurity within a few years yet with PW , 45 years on, people still sing his name regularly at games and why the comment about drinks?

Each to his own I guess but surprised about the undercurrent.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Peter Ward is still my all-time favourite Albion player. My peak Albion-watching time, when I used to go to most games home and away, was when I was a responsibility-free young man in the late 70s and early 80s. (The period we used to refer to as the 'Glory Years'). In that journey to Division One Wardie was magical beyond belief, and that whole era for me was a great time. So for pure nostalgia reasons if for nothing else no one will replace him as my #1. No one.

But it is true that he never really delivered in the top division, and yes we have had MUCH better players since him - especially obviously recently. (No way would he now get into an all-time top Albion XI). And of course yes it was a long time ago, and I don't expect anybody who didn't see him play to feel the same way as those of us who did. Of course his star has waned, how could it not? At best for modern fans he's just a 'name': someone in the distant past who made a significant contribution.

Anyway, speaking as an Albion supporter of 'a certain age' I meant to go - and then forgot all about it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here