Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Meat Loaf RIP

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When this came up my first thoughts were he died young.
Then I realised that we are all getting very old.
Very sadly missed. A showman. You needed to have been around when Bat Out Of Hell was huge to remember he was everywhere and his presence alone was loud but when he spoke he was even louder.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saw him 3 times, twice in the early 80s and then in the 90s, all of the shows were outstanding.

We were right at the front for one of them, oddly there were seats right up the stage (at the Centre), after a couple of numbers he came to the edge of the stage, sat down with his legs hanging over the side and said something like "well I'm sitting down now, are you motherf**kers going to stand up?" Cue pandemonium, a surge and a great concert. Later in the show he leant out over the front of the crowd with his hand out to select a girl to bring on stage and sing to, my girlfriend (now wife) made a swift step to the left* as he sweated on her and thankfully he chose the next girl.

*Yeah, I know.

RIP Meat :down:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What a performance, a life well lived. RIP big man.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Nooooo 😭

Bat out of Hell got to be one of my all time favourite albums. Definitely top 3, up there with FMs Rumors. Every track a total 'tune'.

Gutted.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I would do anything for love was part of my adolescence in 1995. What a tune. Where does the time go? :down:

So good, he even made Phoenix Night's Stars In Your Eyes featuring Peter Kay as Brian Potter. "I'm telling you Patrick, you've gotta 'ave eyes in the back of your 'ead!" as his motorbike roared past.

RIP Meatloaf.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
RIP Meat :(
Bat Out of Hell is an absolute belter of an album.
Saw him live in Las Vegas and although the voice was going by that time, he was still an amazing entertainer and put on a brilliant show.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
When this came up my first thoughts were he died young.
Then I realised that we are all getting very old.
Very sadly missed. A showman. You needed to have been around when Bat Out Of Hell was huge to remember he was everywhere and his presence alone was loud but when he spoke he was even louder.

I had the same thought until I googled it. 74 I suppose is decent compared to some in the music industry.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Last time I saw Meat Loaf was back at Brighton races in the late 80s. He'd run into the trainers Suzy Smith and Gary Moore at an aftershow party who tipped up some handicap plots in the last 3 races the next day in return for some front row seats at the gig. Meat was going along to Brighton races as a mini break from touring the next afternoon. After a middling day, Meat Loaf's 3 plot horses were running the 4th, 5th and 6th races. In the "Buy your Rover from Caffyns" Handicap, Gary's one won without the use of the whip having been banged into 6/4 from an opening show of 4-1. Suzies did the same in the "hook at duck at the pier" claiming stakes which meant my new mate meat was holding a bunch of trixie tickets that were worth a fortune in the last race. The horse - Bat out of Hell - came stylishly round the corner and the bookies ducked for cover as it appeared for all money that he win by a street. As the jockey pressed the button, he found nothing and came in a dissapointing 4th to almost silence from the crowd who'd by now realised the plot by the celebrity punter.

I looked at Meat Loaf who shrugged his shoulders. "Ah geez" he said "Two outta three ain't bad"

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
A Rock Monster of epic proportions. I saw him at the Brighton Centre back in the 80s, a great and very energetic show.

He will be remembered for Bat out of Hell, but he had so many other great tracks and his ballads are just superb. RIP Meat Loaf, thanks for the many great memories.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope his mate Jim will be waiting up there with a new powerhouse blockbuster for him to enjoy!

Sad day. RIP Big Marvin.

P.S. Out of respect, can a mod correct the thread title please? Meat Loaf, not Meatloaf. [Edit: thanks, whoever obliged.]

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I’ve already posted on the RIP thread - what a combination he and Steinman proved to be

Absolutely seminal music video this, one of the greatest of all time. Fell perfectly in that sweet spot when it was no longer a "new" medium but before it became stuffed with product placement and similar rubbish like they are now.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bat Out Of Hell is a very special album to myself and Mrs P. RIP big fella, and thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here