Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meanwhile at Trafford towers

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've said it before and I'll say it 100 more times because I love the man so incredibly deeply with all my heart, and that is that Sir Alex made Manchester United twice the sum of their parts. You really can't underestimate just how brilliant he was at every aspect of football management. It's not David Moyes' fault that he's a fraction of the man Sir Alex is, almost every man on the planet is. There was only one choice United could have made to adequately replace the best manager the game has ever seen, and that was Jose. Not just because Jose is a superb football manager, but also because he has the personality to deal with a job like that. I don't think Moyes has. A midfield including Cleverley, Carrick, Giggs and Valencia should NEVER be able to compete with City (Toure, Silva, Fernandinho etc) or Chelsea (Mata, Hazard, Oscar etc) or even Arsenal (Wilshere, Cazorla, Ozil). An ageing central defence of Ferdinand and Vidic is nowhere near as good as Kompany and Nastasic and comparable to Luiz and Terry. The reason these mediocre players performed so well was entirely down to Sir Alex and his influence. Moyes just hasn't got it. The reign is over, the true champions have been deposed. I expect United to suffer a number of defeats against the top teams this season, go out of Europe relatively early and finish at the absolute best third, but quite possibly fourth or fifth.

Football just isn't the same without Sir Alex. RIP big man xx.

What a very weird thing to post.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Massimo Taibi.

I've always thought that Utd's transfer policy is the weakest part of their setup; they seem to dawdle a bit when it comes to making moves for their players (much like Arsenal do) and then find they've not got anywhere. Midfield has always been their weak point - they've not been able to properly replace the midfield 4 of Beckham, Scholes, Keane & Giggs and that'll be their downfall....however, if they had got any one of Fabregas, Alcantara, Ozil etc then people would be saying the opposite.

I don't mind Man Utd too much - i've got good memories of them in the 90's when some of their play was incredible to watch...it's rather special watching their 7-1 demolition of Roma on YouTube as well. I'll admire any team that can destroy a team as comprehensively as that.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I really think Fergie knew what he was doing and jumped ship while at the top, he could see there was a lot of work needed to compete this season so thought sod it I'm off to enjoy retirement

That and the fact he is becoming older and struggles to even lift his arms up to celebrate a goal!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Is history rewriting itself? Did Fergie never have a bad transfer summer!? Bebe anyone? D'yer remember Djemba Djemba!? David Bellion? Obertan? Kleberson?

Now Moyes is in, it's as if MU never did any bad transfer business in the last 27 years...

100% this.

You also forgot Forlan, Goram, Ricardo, Carroll, Taibi, Fangzhou, Veron, Berbatov, Milne.

There's a fair few transfers that people forget

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I suppose relegation, entering in to administration and Wayne Rooney having an argument with a comedy heavy roller so that he comes out flattened is too much to hope for.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
100% this.

You also forgot Forlan, Goram, Ricardo, Carroll, Taibi, Fangzhou, Veron, Berbatov, Milne.

Wasn't Berbatov the top scorer for at least one season? He was never a favourite but he certainly wasn't a failure either!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Wasn't Berbatov the top scorer for at least one season? He was never a favourite but he certainly wasn't a failure either!

Top scorer. Got into team of the year. Won the premier Lague. Won the goldon boot. Scored more than a goal every other game...

Yep. Failure...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
100% this.

Forlan was an interesting one - didn't score for ages (but then i think he spent a lot of time on the bench behind Van Nistelrooy & Solskjaer) but then went through a period when he scored for fun. Just didn't work out for him, but he's a quality player regardless.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Victor Moses - recently kicked out from Chelsea on loan as not good enough :lolol:
Nathaniel Clyne - can't make starting 11 at Southampton :lolol:
Ben Watson - Wigan (Championship) :lolol:

Moses: Still very young and has plenty of time to develop. Not good enough? Have you seen who he has to compete with for a place a Chelsea? I wouldn't say Liverpool are a bad team at all to go to
Clyne: Was quality last year, as someone has already said he is currently injured
Watson: He's won the FA Cup, I'd take a season in the Championship if it meant I'd win that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here