Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] McMafia

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Only on episode 2 and have to say, I’m bored. It’s limping along.

And James Norton is dull. I heard he might be a James Bond for the future. Please god no.

I will try episode 3.
Exactly where I'm at. I quite liked the first episode but the second one seems a bit of a struggle. I'll soldier on and see if gets any better.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Exactly where I'm at. I quite liked the first episode but the second one seems a bit of a struggle. I'll soldier on and see if gets any better.

Episodes 2 and 3 are scene-setters, and are fairly pedestrian.

It picks up in four and five, and a reasonable plot is emerging. That said, it's not as much fun when the lead actor, James Norton, is the weak link in all of this for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apparently many viewers are not tuning into this now as the figures have dropped from 5.9m for the first episode to less than 3m for the latest episode and the reason given is that viewers are finding the plot too complicated and far fetched. The BBC hoped it would be as popular as The Night Manager but that hasnt happened and a follow up is not expected.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Apparently many viewers are not tuning into this now as the figures have dropped from 5.9m for the first episode to less than 3m for the latest episode and the reason given is that viewers are finding the plot to complicated and far fetched. The BBC hoped it would be as popular as The Night Manager but that hasnt happened and a follow up is not expected.

Far-fetched maybe.

But complicated? Jesus wept. Do people need every single plot line to be spoon fed to them straight up their arses?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only stating what was in the press yesterday. I havent watched it was going to wait until after the last one then watch them all after each other on I player.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm enjoying this. Enjoyed the twist at the end (which i had guessed) about kleimans art dealer friend & vadim at the airport with alex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After a couple of episodes, I was getting a little bored.

But over the last couple of days, I watched the remaining 6 on iplayer.

In the end I thought it was a great series, very tense and a realistic blend of cerebral/violent modern organised crime. The journey of Alex from City banker to brutal boss (which has been his family's roots) was interesting.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I thought it was merely okay. The book is probably much better. I did enjoy this line from a reviewer:

"McMafia's domestic scenes between James Norton and Juliet Rylance, vaguely troubled in their luxury London flat, are so sterile and eerily silent they have an air of experimental theatre, like Pinter being staged in a branch of Heal's."

:)

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I thought it was merely okay. The book is probably much better. I did enjoy this line from a reviewer:

"McMafia's domestic scenes between James Norton and Juliet Rylance, vaguely troubled in their luxury London flat, are so sterile and eerily silent they have an air of experimental theatre, like Pinter being staged in a branch of Heal's."

I enjoyed the series overall and found the storyline both gripping and probably realistic (don’t have much experience of the Russian Mafia!).

I did find James Norton very one-dimensional though. He glided through the entire series with barely any change in his standard inscrutable expression whatever the circumstances......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park

The book couldn’t be more different. It’s non fiction and none of the chapters are unconnected

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I finished it stoically, but only because I've almost run out of other on demand and broadcast series to watch.

James Norton very wooden, much of the lines were predictable. It was only the random acts of violence / murders that jolted me out of a soporific state.

By episode 4 I was considering covering my eyes and ears with duck tape.

Watching Collateral now. Marginally more interesting.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I assume that the casting called for an actor who showed no emotion or engagement whatever with the script or the other actors. In which case James Norton gave a Bafta-worthy performance.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I thought it was utter tripe & gave up on it after 5 episodes. Acting, plot, terrible, just terrible. Need the BBC to do more like Happy Valley, Missing, or Line of Duty.
After the hype, I thought McMafia & Hard Sun were both big let downs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here