Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McLeod relishing trip to Swansea??

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Whilst the panic hasn't fully set in yet, it definitely will be if McLeod is in our starting 11 for the beginning of the season...

McLeod relishes cup trip

8:00am Wednesday 17th June 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »
By Andy Naylor »

KEVIN McLEOD believes Albion can capitalise on the uncertainty surrounding Swansea in the Carling Cup.

The Seagulls have been drawn away to the Championship Welshmen in the first round in the week commencing August 10.

It looks a tough assignment on paper but Seagulls winger McLeod thinks the departure of Swansea manager Roberto Martinez to Wigan could affect his old club.

He said: “I don’t know how they are going to react with Roberto no longer the manager.

“The lads there respected Roberto and I respect him a lot myself. He is a great coach and a great man.

“Everything was settled there. They had a great team, they were playing well and finished eighth in the Championship.”

Aidy Boothroyd, Gary Speed and Gus Poyet head the race to succeed Martinez at Swansea, where McLeod scored seven goals in 51 appearances between February 2005 and September 2006.

He fell out with then manager Kenny Jackett and moved to Colchester but still has fond memories of his time in the principality.

McLeod said: “My first season there was at the Vetch Field and then we moved to the Liberty (Stadium). It was fantastic, I absolutely loved the place.”

Albion thrashed Barnet 4-0 in the first round of the Carling Cup last season to set up a shock win on penalties against Manchester City before losing to Derby.

McLeod is hoping for better luck in the competition this time. He sustained knee damage against Barnet, which launched an injury-ravaged debut campaign with the Seagulls for the 28-year-old.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
If (and it's a big if) he is fit, motivated and stays injury-free, he has the talent to do well in this division.

I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bit early to be that negative...

Never too early to be that negative!!

Seriously though, I'm not feeling negative at the moment but the summer will not have gone as planned if McLeod is in our first team next season

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Never too early to be that negative!!

Seriously though, I'm not feeling negative at the moment but the summer will not have gone as planned if McLeod is in our first team next season

Is that really true?
He is one of the best (and more comsistent) crossers of the ball I have seen at this level in a while and if we have a target man in place (and if McLeod is fit) he could very much be in the mix to provide the ammunition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A fit McLeod has to be a strong contender to be in the starting 11 imo.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id be delighted if he got himself fit and in our starting 11. Very good player when hes in shape

sashnash

Seagull in East London
Feb 26, 2009
McLeod is currently the only CM we have on our books so of course he is expecting to start!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Slightly off-topic, why does the journalist believe that Swansea not having a manager now will affect a match to be played in two months' time?

Swansea will have enough good candidates for the job.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Id be delighted if he got himself fit and in our starting 11. Very good player when hes in shape

Maybe I'm being unfair then. When fit, he could well be the best left wing in League 1 for all I know.

It's just when I've seen him play, he was a lardarse who could never waddle round his man and therefore couldn't get the ball into the box from any sort of angle that would be vaguely dangerous.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The bloke is utter SHITHOUSE lets be honest.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe I'm being unfair then. When fit, he could well be the best left wing in League 1 for all I know.

It's just when I've seen him play, he was a lardarse who could never waddle round his man and therefore couldn't get the ball into the box from any sort of angle that would be vaguely dangerous.

I couldn't agree more.

At Crewe (first game of the season) he looked fantastic, thereafter he began to look to be suffering from pie-induced unfitness. I recon he could be a very good player at this level if he sorted out his fitness.

Out of interest, are there any pther players on our books with any Premier league appearence to their name?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If (and it may be a big if), Slade can put him through a tough, physical pre-season and get him in shape, he will be a force at this level next season.

I have faith in Russell, a lot of people wrote OGH off YEARS ago and look what Slade got from him, no reason whatsoever why he can't do similar for McLeod.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
If (and it may be a big if), Slade can put him through a tough, physical pre-season and get him in shape, he will be a force at this level next season.

I have faith in Russell, a lot of people wrote OGH off YEARS ago and look what Slade got from him, no reason whatsoever why he can't do similar for McLeod.
Absolute word. Thread closed.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Let injury and results get to him. This is another opportunity for him and he needs to take it. Can definitely do well for us if he does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here