Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcleish on the brink of being sacked.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can't see him going to Norwich... clearly, a well-run club, but surely reached its potential... will be difficult for anyone replacing Lambert to match his success...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Villa will look for a bigger proven manager than Gus, Gus is not ready for the prem yet and especially a big club like AV. He is great for us where he can learn, but he is not tactically great when teams work his plan A out. In the prem, he will be shown up big time. He will learn more staying with us and thats what he will do.

Villa - AVB, Benitez or Lambert, even a Zola might be on there radar. Remember Di Matteo is not certain of the Chelsea job yet and would be top on most teams list assuming he does not get it. (i think the barca man is coming to chelski)
If norwich lose there boss, then possibility that Norwich might come looking, but i also think they will look bigger than Gus.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's strange how people think Gus would be ahead of the likes of Paul Lambert and Brendan Rodgers for big club jobs.

It's not necessarily who he's ahead of it's about who they can get too. Don't know about the loyalty of Lambert or Rodgers but something that needs to be factored in. Gus is 12/1 with bet 365 which is pretty short. Martinez is the clear bookies favourite but he will be for just about any job that comes up and it's difficult to see him staying at Wigan if he's in any way ambitious

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
GP to Villa, we'll get Curbs.
That's what I heard Sat night.

I was a guest of Curbs at cricket (he has a box at the oval) and he made it very clear he would not return to Brighton as Manager. He was not even keen to go see them, had no interest in Brighton at all which I was very shocked about.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
we will get zola

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think if Villa came in for Gus, he would be tempted. It's a step up, and the villa job would be an attractive one, because if you don't succeed I don't think it will hurt you, but there is a great potential for success. However, I don't think Villa will come in for Gus.

It seems at the moment the favourites to replace him are Lambert and Martinez, which would leave Wigan or Norwich looking for a manager.

So it comes down to whether Wigan and Norwich are likely to see who applies for the job (and as premier league teams, both will get some good managers applying), and whether a better option than Gus applies, or if they instead of advertising the job (so to speak) go looking for the men they want.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I was a guest of Curbs at cricket (he has a box at the oval) and he made it very clear he would not return to Brighton as Manager. He was not even keen to go see them, had no interest in Brighton at all which I was very shocked about.

Curbishley has stated many times that he'll only take another job if it's with a top-half Prem team. Which, given his achievements with Charlton and West Ham, he's entitled to say. Not a one in a million chance of him taking a Championship job even if he did play a few dozen games for them many years ago.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I guess it depends on what you think the extent of Norwich's potential is. I think Gus would move to a lower Premier League team if he felt he could improve them significantly, as that will catch the eye of Spurs/Chelsea the next time their jobs become available. He won't go to Wigan, for example, because that will only ever be a fight against relegation that one year he will lose. I also think Swansea have vastly overachieved and could well find themselves heading downwards soon enough. Similarly, there isn't much point in taking the jobs at Stoke or West Brom.

The dream is definitely Villa. They've underachieved big time, I'd back Gus to get them into mid-table fairly quickly and playing some nicer football, which will impress the football world. If he thinks he could make Norwich a top-half team then maybe it would appeal. I'm genuinely not sure whether I put Norwich into the 'reached their limit' box or not.

100% agree with this ... Villa are one of the very few clubs he could use as a fairly low risk (if there is such a thing) springboard to achieve his ambition of managing a top Prem club, maybe even restoring them to past glory. Only others I might include are Fulham and Everton ... outside of that they are either too big, too risky (I'd put Norwich in there) or just plain too grungy (Stoke)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I feel sad about this :down:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This has always been the one that worries me. If Villa come calling, I think Gus would find it very hard to turn down and I would not blame him for taking the job. Hopefully he's not on their radar as he's still an inexperienced manager who only has a 3rd division title on his CV.

Trouble is, if Villa manage to poach a Brendan Rogers or Paul Lambert, then you've got another couple of clubs there to worry about.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This has always been the one that worries me. If Villa come calling, I think Gus would find it very hard to turn down and I would not blame him for taking the job. Hopefully he's not on their radar as he's still an inexperienced manager who only has a 3rd division title on his CV.

Trouble is, if Villa manage to poach a Brendan Rogers or Paul Lambert, then you've got another couple of clubs there to worry about.

Agreed. If either of those two go elsewhere, I would very worried indeed.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

apparently they did already didn't they? after the Schteeve McLaren incident they had a private jet lined up for him but Lerner bottled after reading their forums....... sure i read that somwhere

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The Villa Job is only one I think Gus would consider going to, but hopefully Benitez will be lined up straight away. Depends on how much money Learner will want to give him and considering he has won trophies, can Benitez realistically win a trophy with Villa?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here