Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee wants Cullip to stay

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Cullip To Stay
By Tim Dudding

Mark McGhee today told seagulls.co.uk he wants his captain Danny Cullip to remain at the club.

Albion's influential skipper is the subject of a bid from Championship rivals Sheffield United, but McGhee revealed the club have offered Cullip a much-improved contract in a bid to keep him on the south coast.

"We don't want Danny Cullip to leave," McGhee insisted. "Ultimately it will be Danny's decision.

"As far as we are concerned it is a hostile bid. We don't want to lose Danny, regardless of the fact that he's out of contract at the end of the season. We've offered him a contract that is as good as anything anyone's ever had here.

"But it's not about that for Danny. It's about ambition and playing in a team at the top pf the division and the possibility of playing in the Premiership."

McGhee also confirmed he plans to leave Cullip out of the squad for tomorrow night's visit of Stoke, saying, "He's not in the right frame of mind. He's been thrown into turmoil.

"As much as Danny is a strong character, we've talked it through and come to the decision that he should sit this one out, get his head right& and see we are after the game."

McGhee was also at pains to point out that if Cullip does decide to depart for Sheffield United there will be no acrimony, and the Brighton boss urged the same approach from the fans.

"If Danny Cullip leaves here it will be with great reluctance. He's enjoyed his time here and he's been an unbelievable servant to the club.

"He's held in such high esteem by the fans, and I think if he leaves now that should continue.

"There's no reason why anyone should think any less of him because he's got every right to further his career at a time when there's uncertainty around our club."

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Well said MM

No one in their right mind would blame Cullip for jumping ship so to speeak. Especially if it helps the club survive in the long run

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
McGhee's not playing him so he can sit in the stand and hear the constant chanting of "1 Danny Cullip". Make sure its loud.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
bha.fatboy said:
Well said MM

No one in their right mind would blame Cullip for jumping ship so to speeak. Especially if it helps the club survive in the long run

Every one would changes jobs to gain security for their family why should DC be any different.Thank him for what he has done and if he goes wish him all the best

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
£200,000 is being suggested.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I agree, anything less than 300K is an insult for such a good player, though we arent in a brilliant bargaining position given our finances and the fact his contracts up anyway.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As Mick Jagger once sang "You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need (i.e. a few hundred grand)

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Cannot see him going ! he is settled down here (with a young family) Sheffield is a long way to uproot everything.

Here's hoping !!

fatboy said:
We've offered him a contract that is as good as anything anyone's ever had here.

I think this is a very important line in the club website report.

It basically shows we've done all we can to keep him.

DC is a modern Brighton legend, he owes us nothing and his family everything, and this could be his last contract if his body is as worn-and-torn as people have speculated. I'm sure he realises there are many advantages for him to stay here beyond the purely monetary ones, no one will offer him the kind of status in the team we do.

I had assumed that his decision to go might be down to the club reordering its player budget priorities away from Danny, wonderful to hear that despite all our financial difficulties, that is not the case.

Good luck to Danny in whatever he decides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here