Mcghee out banner

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uncle Buck said:
The 10k a week is a myth, OK the clubs still with parachute payements (Southampton, Palace, Norwich, Leeds, Wolves and Leicester) maybe able to maintain these wages, but most of the other clubs cannot.

I only know of two but I think still valid. Trevor Benjamin was on 17K a week at Leicester when he came on loan to us and Andy Booth was still on 8K a week until last season.
I'm sure our Palace visitors will confirm that Johnson is on a pretty good wage.
I'm not saying every striker is on 10K a week but they are on better wages than we can afford.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Rougvie said:
Still £250K over 3 years for 'one for the future' (if he can be bothered on that particular day) and £150K in cash for a video tape was an excellent use of the 'restraints' that Mickey Adams would have given his right arm tohave had.

For me CKR was worth the punt, and still will be. He was not bought to score 20 goals this season, just to chip in with his bit.

I can't explain Frederico - but then I don't know all the facts. The whole thing looks odd - but I dont want to sack a manager for one mis-judgement.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uncle Buck said:
In all fairness put downs are indicative of this board these days.

My point is that it seems to be coming from one side of the fence.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yorkie said:
I only know of two but I think still valid. Trevor Benjamin was on 17K a week at Leicester when he came on loan to us and Andy Booth was still on 8K a week until last season.
I'm sure our Palace visitors will confirm that Johnson is on a pretty good wage.
I'm not saying every striker is on 10K a week but they are on better wages than we can afford.

But both teams are still getting Premier League money.

How many players at clubs like QPR, Watford, Millwall, Burnley, to an extend Derby, Sheffield Wednesday etc are really on 10k a week?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is pointless talking specifically about salaries - we just don't know. You need to look at the accounts and see what the salary bill is.

In any League - the correlation is between amount spent and position in the League. The more you spend on player wages - the higher you are in the League.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uncle Buck said:
I would say myself and LI are the worst offenders, but then the following although probably banter, could be taken as a put down;

It was banter hence the smiley.
Still, I will accept a slapped wrist. :down:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Yorkie said:
Why do you have to demean a perfectly good debate and opinion by constantly putting down other people with put downs ?

Because the scrutiny of our present playing staff (who are no worse than the other bottom 7 or so clubs) is used to disguise the fact that the manager on the whole has wasted a hell of a lot more money than the previous 3 incumbents.

Its also relatively insulting to a playing squad which is BETTER than the clubs around us.

Sorry Yorkie, I am not having a go at you at all, maybe the constant insults of Placcy on every man and his dog who disagrees with him is starting to have an affect on us :lolol:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Rougvie said:
Because the scrutiny of our present playing staff (who are no worse than the other bottom 7 or so clubs) is used to disguise the fact that the manager on the whole has wasted a hell of a lot more money than the previous 3 incumbents.

This seems to be FACT - but where did it come from ? Can it really be the other seven clubs around us have the same number of youth players, have purchased even less players than us, and when a reasonable bid is received for a player have had to sell.

Out of the criticisms of McGhee - I find this one the most unbelieveable.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
This seems to be FACT - but where did it come from ? Can it really be the other seven clubs around us have the same number of youth players, have purchased even less players than us, and when a reasonable bid is received for a player have had to sell.

Out of the criticisms of McGhee - I find this one the most unbelieveable.

But then this season we have paid money for CKR, Henderson and Turienzo (also there seems to be some confusion as to what Carole came as, the Argus did say undisclosed at the time, but now the party line seems to be a freebie) and we were willing to pay 6 figures for Tom Brighton. Now for us this is a lot of transfer money. Adams paid fees for Zamora, Watson, Oatway, Pitcher, Brooker, Cullip and Crosby. But in total I think that lot came to about 200k and was done over 3 seasons. Taylor never spent anything and I am not sure Coppell did, as we only paid money for Knight after he left. So McGhee has had a fairly large budget this season and it has not been overly successful.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I dont actually look at the CKR transfer as a failure at all but McGhee seems to not stick to the model that young players are brought through from the Acadamy and hard cash has to be spent on proven experienced (slightly past their peak shall we say) players.

Crewe have done this for years and it doesnt seem to have been a bad model to follow.

Unfortunately we dont have 2 years to blood players because every season for the past 10 years with hardly an exception we have had something to play for, and need players for the hear and now, not the future.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
CKR has done OK, Henderson is good enough, Carole is superb, and Frutos is good enough. So it is only Turienzo - and that does look a boob-boob.

Buying players is not an exact science. I would add Silky Dave to MA's list, and there were others such as Jamie Cambell. And MA let Richie Barker go.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
CKR has done OK, Henderson is good enough, Carole is superb, and Frutos is good enough. So it is only Turienzo - and that does look a boob-boob.

Buying players is not an exact science. I would add Silky Dave to MA's list, and there were others such as Jamie Cambell. And MA let Richie Barker go.

Adams did not let Barker go. Barker was offered a new contract, but his father was ill and he wanted to be nearer the family home in South Yorkshire, hence signing for Maccesfield.

But then McGhee has signed players like McCammon, Jarratt, Molango and they have not been roaring successes.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Rougvie said:
I dont actually look at the CKR transfer as a failure at all but McGhee seems to not stick to the model that young players are brought through from the Acadamy and hard cash has to be spent on proven experienced (slightly past their peak shall we say) players.

The Coca-Cola money was a slightly exceptional case. I totally agreed with the purchase - it seemed to be an investment in future tranfer revenues. Which I believe was good thinking. It is always a punt though.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Uncle Buck said:
Adams did not let Barker go. Barker was offered a new contract, but his father was ill and he wanted to be nearer the family home in South Yorkshire, hence signing for Maccesfield.

But then McGhee has signed players like McCammon, Jarratt, Molango and they have not been roaring successes.

If MA had shown any indication that he wanted to keep Barker I understand he would have stayed.

I agree. Buying players is not an exact science. MA's policy was to purchase players he knew and was familiar with, and as we were buying from Clubs like Brentford we could get them at a reasonable price. At Championship level - the price and the quality is a few notches higher.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
But then this season we have paid money for CKR, Henderson and Turienzo (also there seems to be some confusion as to what Carole came as, the Argus did say undisclosed at the time, but now the party line seems to be a freebie) and we were willing to pay 6 figures for Tom Brighton. Now for us this is a lot of transfer money. Adams paid fees for Zamora, Watson, Oatway, Pitcher, Brooker, Cullip and Crosby. But in total I think that lot came to about 200k and was done over 3 seasons. Taylor never spent anything and I am not sure Coppell did, as we only paid money for Knight after he left. So McGhee has had a fairly large budget this season and it has not been overly successful.

The total fees for those players was nearer £250K which when you consider we were in the bottom division is a very large budget in my opinion. This also doesn't consider inflation of transfer fees.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The Coca Cola money was almost a poison chalice, not enough to get a quality striker so whover we got would be some kind of gamble at that price, we had a time limit to spend it and because it was more money than we had spent on one player in the previous ten years it gave us unrealistic expectations. IMO like.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
The total fees for those players was nearer £250K which when you consider we were in the bottom division is a very large budget in my opinion. This also doesn't consider inflation of transfer fees.

Over 3 years.

McGhee has spend a similar amount Turienzo, McCammon, Henderson and CKR in the last 12 months, so a significantly larger resource.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Over 3 years.

McGhee has spend a similar amount Turienzo, McCammon, Henderson and CKR in the last 12 months, so a significantly larger resource.

Yes, but not proportionally. We play in a significantly higher division don't we ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports