Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcghee out banner

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Is it any wonder I stay loyal to McGhee if this is the best his critics can do? What an utter waste of time this entire thread has been.

Is it a waste of time because people have dared to disagree with you, just like because the last McGhee Out Poll was going against your view point, you decided that was a waste of time.

5 wins in 36 games, shows that things are not working and as he is the manager ultimately he is responsible for the problems.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
And as for saying you think the tactics are wrong but you have no opinion on what might be the right ones, I think that's a cop out really. Lame as some or sometimes most of Bucky's ideas are, he at least gives it a go and puts his head on the block.

Lame because you do not agree with them Steve?

I have noticed the more you are pushed, all you can do is go for swipes.

I will say it again, 5 wins in 36 games is not good enough. Whatever other factors you will try and use to paint over the cracks, ultimately the manager will take the plaudits and blame when the team performs or fails. We are failing, miserably and McGhee's selections, transfers etc have played a large role in this.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:

There is an interesting debate among LI fans about whether all this is down to the change of coach or the fact we upped our player budget 20 per cent this season. You can guess which side of the debate I'm on though ;)

Well go on then. Change of coach? Coz you agree with DK not spending money.....

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
The second goal was a bad defensive error by a good young player, which happens alas because McGhee has to rely too much on young players who are not perhaps quite 100% ready for this level of football.

Placcy you were the one telling us after the Worthing friendly that CKR would be strong enough to play every game this season, but still results are not important.

Not many people backing you up these days eh ? :lolol:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Why do you keep saying this?

Point 1 - it was 7 games, and crucially,

Point 2 - we did not play 3-5-2 throughout but only in a couple of the games! In one of the games we only came back to beat Gillingham from a goal behind by reverting from a 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 midway!!!

This fetish about systems is ridiculous. Players win games, not systems and the players performance has not been good enough, god knows McGhee has tried them in enough combinations and given them all a chance! That was one of the prominent criticisms of the McGhee outers up to a few weeks ago (that he'd tinkered too much), now it's apparently the big criticism that he didn't try YET ANOTHER tactical system :lolol: :jester:

But the system can compliment the players. We have some decentish centre backs, we are shipping goals, partly because the failing wingers leave the midfield and full backs exposed, so try playing 3 centre backs, it might just shore things up a bit.

After all 4-4-2 has yielded 5 wins in 36 league games, so it is clearly failing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Unvle Buck - McGhee is not ultimately responsible for the problems. He is attempting to manage within their restrictions.

Of course he has made mistakes - and some big ones if Frederico doesn't show - but all managers do. Had he more money he could afford to make these mistakes - because you buy another striker and everyone forgets.

Of course we don't agree with his selections - no-one does when we a team is losing. When a team wins of course - we all would have chosen that team.

We are a bottom of the Championship squad now - like we were at the start of the season. And we are still in with a shout of 4th from bottom - which will be a fantastic achievement.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dick Knights Mum said:
Unvle Buck - McGhee is not ultimately responsible for the problems. He is attempting to manage within their restrictions.

Of course he has made mistakes - and some big ones if Frederico doesn't show - but all managers do. Had he more money he could afford to make these mistakes - because you buy another striker and everyone forgets.

Of course we don't agree with his selections - no-one does when we a team is losing. When a team wins of course - we all would have chosen that team.

We are a bottom of the Championship squad now - like we were at the start of the season. And we are still in with a shout of 4th from bottom - which will be a fantastic achievement.

The voice of reason.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:

But this should have the been the season where we built on previous success. For the first time in an age we had some money to spend and yet he has not used it wisely and his selections and spats seem to have taken the team backwards. So ultimately he just like Hinshlewood, Lloyd and even Coppell with his relegation must be accountable for their actions. McGhee picks the team and the tactics and these are not working, 5 wins in 36 shows that. He has taken us backwards this season.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Rougvie said:
Placcy you were the one telling us after the Worthing friendly that CKR would be strong enough to play every game this season, but still results are not important.

Not many people backing you up these days eh ?

CKR does look strong enough to play every game - it is his concentration and understanding of what is required of him that lets him down.

I do not believe that anyone would say results are never that important. At times of the season they are not - as long as you know what the problem is. Wednesday werelooking the same as us. The performances were ok - but there was no-one to score the goals.

Now put yourself in the position of a striker looking at a relegation battle at Hillsborough or Withdean. What would you choose ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dick Knights Mum said:

No. Because PLAYER for PLAYER we are no worse than Stoke or Plymouth or QPR or Hull or Luton.

The SQUAD is GOOD enough. The Manager ISNT. Plain and Simple.

Those teams play to their strengths. We are not and that is down to ONE man and ONE man ALONE.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Uncle Buck said:
But this should have the been the season where we built on previous success. For the first time in an age we had some money to spend and yet he has not used it wisely and his selections and spats seem to have taken the team backwards. So ultimately he just like Hinshlewood, Lloyd and even Coppell with his relegation must be accountable for their actions. McGhee picks the team and the tactics and these are not working, 5 wins in 36 shows that. He has taken us backwards this season.

Backwards because two of our best players were sold (we needed the money) and not replaced because there aren't any left backs out there to replace him with. We cannot pay out 10K a week for a decent striker like other Championship clubs.
It isn't for want of trying.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Uncle Buck said:

He had made one big mistake - which other managers get away with because thay can go out and buy again. Lots of top managers have iffy buying records - but also look at Carole and Frutos to provide a bit of balance.

The only spat worth commenting is is that of Knight. And it was always going toend like that. And it will again at Swansea. It says more about Knight than McGhee.

I am not happy with our position either - but I do not think the answer is getting in another manager. Remember the good times - show a bit of commitment, and let's reap the rewards.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Uncle Buck said:
But the system can compliment the players. We have some decentish centre backs, we are shipping goals, partly because the failing wingers leave the midfield and full backs exposed, so try playing 3 centre backs, it might just shore things up a bit.

Ah, but the McGhee worshipers would have you believe that we dont have decent players, that patently is just not the case.

I can simplify the whole arguement by tracing it right back to loosing Danny Cullip, well not actually the player, just loosing the organisation that he gave us and that has never been replaced. The frustrating thing about our play is that we do play well in phases and our confidence can be impressive when we play as a unit, but all too often talented individuals are looking at one another without any co-ordination, players end up out of position, and thats just exasperated by the fact that said player has probably not held down that position for more than a run of three games, so there is no cohesion, and that is the fault of the manager.

You can bark on about 4-4-2 or whatever, but if there is no one to organise it on the pitch (and dont think Oatway will ever be the answer to that) we will continue to loose games that we are more than capable of winning.

Still £250K over 3 years for 'one for the future' (if he can be bothered on that particular day) and £150K in cash for a video tape was an excellent use of the 'restraints' that Mickey Adams would have given his right arm tohave had.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
No. Because PLAYER for PLAYER we are no worse than Stoke or Plymouth or QPR or Hull or Luton.

The SQUAD is GOOD enough. The Manager ISNT. Plain and Simple.

Those teams play to their strengths. We are not and that is down to ONE man and ONE man ALONE.

You know more about their squads than me.

It does seem unlikely that Hull - with the money they have spent - have a weaker squad than ours.

Out of interest how many products of their youth system are they playing ? Or rather having to play ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Rougvie said:
Ah, but the McGhee worshipers would have you believe that we dont have decent players, that patently is just not the case.

I can simplify the whole arguement by tracing it right back to loosing Danny Cullip, well not actually the player, just loosing the organisation that he gave us and that has never been replaced. The frustrating thing about our play is that we do play well in phases and our confidence can be impressive when we play as a unit, but all too often talented individuals are looking at one another without any co-ordination, players end up out of position, and thats just exasperated by the fact that said player has probably not held down that position for more than a run of three games, so there is no cohesion, and that is the fault of the manager.

You can bark on about 4-4-2 or whatever, but if there is no one to organise it on the pitch (and dont think Oatway is the answer to that) we will continue to loose games that we are more than capable of winning.

Danny Cullip ? Really. Of course we miss his commitment - but a quality centre-half (and there were many who doubted Danny at Championship level) who is also an organiser and team leader do not come cheap at this level. We are not in that position.

McGhee has tried - Wise may have fitted the bill - but he didn't fancy it. Was it because of McGhee ? I doubt it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yorkie said:
Backwards because two of our best players were sold (we needed the money) and not replaced because there aren't any left backs out there to replace him with. We cannot pay out 10K a week for a decent striker like other Championship clubs.
It isn't for want of trying.

The 10k a week is a myth, OK the clubs still with parachute payements (Southampton, Palace, Norwich, Leeds, Wolves and Leicester) maybe able to maintain these wages, but most of the other clubs cannot.

We lost 2 players, however more money than usual was given to spend on players. Would the Turienzo fee not have been better used to bring in an experience forward on slightly higher wages? Regarding left backs, well the fact we were not even linked with one does say something. McGhee seemed more interested in signing more forwards.

He has taken the side backwards, teams will lose players, especially the smaller clubs, but it is then a case of using your contacts to replace them and this has not happened. We knew we needed defenders, so we sign 2 strikers and 2 wingers. OK Dodd was signed and you cannot legislate for injuries, but McShane and Henderson (2 positions that needed filling) were not brought in until the Thursday before Derby and so missed any time to work with their team mates.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rougvie said:
Ah, but the McGhee worshipers would have you believe that we dont have decent players,

Why do you have to demean a perfectly good debate and opinion by constantly putting down other people with put downs ?
I don't worship any manager. I am not a bum licker or acolyte or any other of the insults the McGhee detactors tend to throw out willynilly.
I just have a different opinion.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yorkie said:
Why do you have to demean a perfectly good debate and opinion by constantly putting down other people with put downs ?
I don't worship any manager. I am not a bum licker or acolyte or any other of the insults the McGhee detactors tend to throw out willynilly.
I just have a different opinion.

In all fairness put downs are indicative of this board these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here