Mcghee out banner

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Buck said:
The way we will defend corners better is by sorting this sort of thing out on the training ground and within any luck removing the school boy areas when we are defending set pieces.
But how does a 3-5-2 do that any better than a 4-4-2? That's where your logic collapses does it not? That's how we conceded the goal that lost us the game on Saturday.

Last edited:

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
bhaexpress said:
I think I might mention that we were staring relegation in the face back in August. At least a few of us realised how unrealistic some peoples' expectations were.

Whats the lotto numbers this week then, you obviously have mytic powers above and beyond me.

Expectations may have been unrealistic, but the team are not perfoming and I'm afraid the buck stops with the manager.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
But how does a 3-5-2 do that any better than a 4-4-2? That's where your logic collapses does it not? That's how we conceded the goal that lost us the game on Saturday.

Stopping conceding goals from set peices will come from sorting these things out on the training ground.

Stopping conceding goals from open play where the midfield are being swamped or the full back not protected might just come from employing a different system. After all the current system has yeilded an impressive 5 wins from 36 league games.

Uncle Buck said:
Stopping conceding goals from set peices will come from sorting these things out on the training ground.
Which is the point I have been making, isn't it? Individual errors like El Abd's have NOTHING to do with the system. Your belief that they will suddenly all disappear under a 3-5-2 makes no sense.

Now if you'd have said drop El Abd and bring in a player with a proven record of making fewer mistakes, that makes sense. It will be a tough call for a player who has progressed well this season, even if we have a more defensively realiable player, which is questionable.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Which is the point I have been making, isn't it? Individual errors like El Abd's have NOTHING to do with the system. Your belief that they will suddenly all disappear under a 3-5-2 makes no sense.

Does the fact that changing the system may change our fortunes where sticking with a 4-4-2 that isn't working won't?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

But you are using one goal as an example of this.

We have conceded far too many from open play this season and often these are down to the fact that the midfield is too swamped on the wingers are not offering the full backs (or centre backs playing there, or strikers playing there or midfielders playing there) the protection they need and this shows again that playing the wingers is not working.

Richie Morris said:
Players would feel more comfortable playing in their PROPER positions and also three centre backs would provide more cover for individual errors.

How would that have stopped Crewe's second goal? Talk me though that logic. El Abd loses his marked player at a corner, and the 3-5-2 magically saves us, how? :D

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
How would that have stopped Crewe's second goal? Talk me though that logic. El Abd loses his marked player at a corner, and the 3-5-2 magically saves us, how? :D

Well done, you use a smiley face as you can prove the system would make no difference to us conceding a goal from a set piece, however a different system might stop us conceding soft goals from open play.

Also surely it shows the short comings of the manager and his staff that we are conceding soft goals from set pieces against the bottom team in the division.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
London Irish said:

And the 4-4-2 worked superbly!!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Does the fact that changing the system may change our fortunes where sticking with a 4-4-2 that isn't working won't?

But it may well not change our fortunes? The gap between safety might grow a lot more than 5 points? What is the basis for your confidence that this won't happen? I don't see the logic or the arguments to back it up. If I did, don't you think I'd be right with you?!!!!!!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
London Irish said:

I think the difference here is we are all talking about the shortcomings of our defensive formation over the course of an entire season where as you seem to be limiting your argument stubbornly to ONE goal.

I am not suggesting 3-5-2 would be a miracle cure to all our problems but it cannot have done much worse over the course of 39 games then 442 has.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
But it may well not change our fortunes? The gap between safety might grow a lot more than 5 points? What is the basis for your confidence that this won't happen? I don't see the logic or the arguments to back it up. If I did, don't you think I'd be right with you?!!!!!!

But the current formation is not working, 5 wins in 36 games shows that. So it is surely time to try something else, whilst there is still a mathematical chance of getting out of this mess.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
But the current system isn't working, otherwise don't you think that we would be agreeing with you??!!

Something needs to be done as we don't look like winning at the moment!

TrevorDove said:
And the 4-4-2 worked superbly!!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
Exactly - the tactical system had nothing to do with the goal that lost us the game ar Crewe.

The two-winger attacking 4-4-2 had nothing to do with losing the first goal at Crewe, McGhee had already changed it!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Steve, you have spent two pages on this thread trying to get everyone to admit that a change formation wouldn't have prevented a fluke goal and a defender giving away a free header. And you're right. Well done.

But nonetheless, you are missing the point.

What we need to do is find a formation which makes these flukes and mistakes more likely to happen at the other end, and that means taking the pressure off our defence and creating more chances. All I (we) are saying is that McGhee's formations haven't worked, his substitutions didn't work, his constant chopping and changing haven't worked. You can't keep blaming poor fortune forever.

We needed a formation that the players are comfortable with, and fairly consistent team selection. Sadly it's all too late now.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:

I'm not confident that we'll start winning games but it MIGHT make a difference and at this stage I think that is what needs to happen. THis system is not working and hasn't worked with the personnel that we have at the club.

Changing it may well lead to more points.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I'm not confident that we'll start winning games but it MIGHT make a difference and at this stage I think that is what needs to happen. THis system is not working and hasn't worked with the personnel that we have at the club.

Changing it may well lead to more points.

...and it can hardly lead to us doing any worse then we already are playing 442.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports