Mcghee out banner

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Buck said:
We might have been able to protect what we had to start with

How does playing El Abd as a centre back rather than a right back make him defend corners better?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I imagine if we were to play 5-3-2 El-Abd would be dropped.

Uncle Buck said:
We could not really score last season

Well, we at least had a targetman in Virgs to score goals and hold the ball up rather than have it ping straight back at us. It's players that make the difference, not slight variations in tactical systems, although it suits your anti-McGhee agenda to pretend otherwise.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Rougvie said:
Maybe it was a miracle to those not around in the days of REAL miracles, you know, such as staying in the Football League.:)

Maybe, but you're not sure though are you?

Silent Bob said:
I imagine if we were to play 5-3-2 El-Abd would be dropped.

Well, if the objective is to drop El Abd, that can be done even easier with a 4-4-2 :rolleyes:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Well, if the objective is to drop El Abd, that can be done even easier with a 4-4-2 :rolleyes:

If we went 5-3-2 El-Abd would be the obvious one to lose out as Hinsh, McShane and Butters are currently better centre backs and he is probably not a wing back. If you play 4-4-2 it is probably a straight choice between Hinsh and McShane, now as both these are better than El-Abd a system to be able to play both of them and Butters is surely the best option. Sadly it would mean sacrificing your much heralded, but ultimately failing miserably bold winger system.

Richie Morris said:
It is not like we could do any WORSE trying three at the back and it might actually suit our players.

How would it suit Frutos and Carole, among our few success stories this season?

The actual truth is we could do worse, such as cut adrift like Rotherham were rather than being 5 points behind.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
How would it suit Frutos and Carole, among our few success stories this season?

The actual truth is we could do worse, such as cut adrift like Rotherham were rather than being 5 points behind.

Carole and Frutos have not been a sucess, yes they might look decent players, but playing them has still meant that we have only won 5 games, so it is not working.

Uncle Buck said:
If we went 5-3-2 El-Abd would be the obvious one to lose out as Hinsh, McShane and Butters are currently better centre backs

Not an option this past Saturday or next though, was it?

Uncle Buck said:
Carole and Frutos have not been a sucess

OK, if you don't think they've been among the best features of our season, now I understand why you would sacrifice them. I don't think many would agree with you though.

Uncle Buck said:
So play El-Abd in the 3 man pairing this weekend and if he does well make McShane fight for the shirt. Competition for places and all that.

Well I guess that answers my question about how a 3-5-2 system would have defended that second Crewe goal better. It wouldn't have had.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
OK, if you don't think they've been among the best features of our season, now I understand why you would sacrifice them. I don't think many would agree with you though.

I think most people would take results over a couple of fancy runs by wingers who drift in and out of games, which they both do. So they have not been a success, 5 wins this season shows that.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
London Irish said:

I think that McGhee's system is to blame, we do not have the quality in midfield or the strength at the back to play with two out and out wingers.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Well I guess that answers my question about how a 3-5-2 system would have defended that second Crewe goal better. It wouldn't have had.

But you do not know that, as the pattern of the game might have been different if a different system had been played. We have some centre backs of reasonable quality in a limited squad so we should be looking to employ them as centre backs. We are shipping too many goals and by playing 3 centre backs it might just help secure things at the back. The current system, however expansive you might think it is, is not working. You see, the most important thing in football is the result, not how nicely your play might have been.

Uncle Buck said:
I think most people would take results

And of course 3-5-2 guarantees results Bucky? :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports