Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McCarthy

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Threads like this are hilarious.

He's a decent manager, but he didn't do a job on us at all.

We dominated the game and didn't take our best chances.
Off the top of my head....
Lingaard; one on one with the keeper. Plus his side foot shot that went wide.
Ulloa; decent header and a couple of other opportunities.
Buckleys header.

There was also a great shot that their keeper saved at the beginning of the second half.

Look at the BBC stats, we had 23 shots but only 4 on target.... THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

And before anyway even thinks about saying it's endemic. Against QPR we had 6 shots, 3 on target, scored 2.

It's sport, sometimes the better team doesn't win.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I wouldn't call him quality. He could get any prem team relegated...and did just that.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Typical Mick McCarthy team. Very hard to break down and well organised. He is doing a very good job there with the resources he has. Wouldn't want him in charge of Albion but respect to him all the same.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
My mum could have managed Ipswich to a win today we were woeful it was more like watching a training session, if we don't play with pace we might as well give up and it looked like we did today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldn't call him 'quality'. We didn't take our chances against a very average Ipswich side. The first goal was very sloppy, the second goal we switched off. They won't make the play offs, they will probably finish 9th or 10th.

Maybe a place behind us then.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
He's in the same bracket as Holloway and Warnock in that he gets teams well organised at Championship level and he fosters a good team spirit and togetherness in his teams that results in players figuratively running through brick walls for him at that level. His problem comes when he goes up a level and that organisation and spirit only gets you so far. You need more than 11 Karl Henrys/George Elokobis to stay in the Premier League, as he found to his cost at Wolves.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As mentioned by someone/somewhere ( @Husty I think), our languid and ambling style gives the defence of the opposition some breathing space.

We don't have the quality to play with the same mantra as Barcelona. If we go behind, our meandering style allows the backs to re-group.

You ultimately win with pace, in the long run. By the time March and LuaLua were on, they had shut down and sat on their three points.

That said, Oscar has carried on our club vision and he has an opportunity to get the right players in for his system this summer.

I think I've mentioned it once or twice today :thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Typical Mick McCarthy team. Very hard to break down and well organised. He is doing a very good job there with the resources he has. Wouldn't want him in charge of Albion but respect to him all the same.

But we find EVERYONE hard to break down, what was the difference today? :lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He loads his team with 6ft players who are all workmanlike. They play to their strengths but it is up to us to break it down, good luck to him and Terry Connor.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They may have not played nice football but McCarthy has got Ipswich grinding out results despite spending very little money. I liked the way he told their players to get a move on when they were being substituted.

I'm not sure they played less 'nice' football than us.
They had an outlet ball (a long clearance to a physical striker) but a lot of the time their passing as more patient than ours, they were passing the ball out more than us

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Was always my opinion That he was a bit dower on the TV and not one of the best managers around but having meet him on a couple of occasions I was pleasantly surprised to find in person he was articulate good humoured very down to earth but what stuck me the most was how passionate about the game he is

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
He's in the same bracket as Holloway and Warnock in that he gets teams well organised at Championship level and he fosters a good team spirit and togetherness in his teams that results in players figuratively running through brick walls for him at that level. His problem comes when he goes up a level and that organisation and spirit only gets you so far. You need more than 11 Karl Henrys/George Elokobis to stay in the Premier League, as he found to his cost at Wolves.

He didn't actually take Wolves down though did he? They were in the relegation zone by just goal difference when he went with 13 games still to go. That they ended up bottom by a country mile and since then have ended up in League One says everything for me about what a good job he did there in keeping them in the EPL for as long as he did.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Sorry but they did do a job on us, their tactics were dead right, after 10 mins it was clear that the l/back had been told to push as far as possible forward as Buckley was already drifting inside and leaving acrers of space down our right side for the l/back to advance into. We then had the warning of the offside goal which came from that side but we still carried on with Bruno having no one infront of him in the 2nd half and it was on surprise that both goals came from moves down our left. It's no good OG saying it was 2 lapses in defence, the problem was clear all game but we didn't counter it and it cost us. I hope it's solved before the S/W game or their do the same, the winger can't just keep going inside and not get back out cause it let's their fullback advance .

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
After the game, when I saw the Ipswich players and staff boarding their coach, I took the opportunity to get some autographs for my nephew (who supports Ipswich). When Mick Mccarthy was signing the back of my programme, I said to him, "I support Brighton and my brother supports Ipswich." "Your brother got the brains then," he replied.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here