Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maybe Potter was right?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whatever people thought of the Hughton team that side had run its race. A magnificent race but over none the less. If we were still putting that side out week in week out we'd be in Sheff U territory. It was time to make a change and there is no point re running the same scenario. This team is evolving and has a number of very good players emerging but it has a number of weaknesses too. Goals obviously, creativity and pace. Not everything can be solved by the Academy no matter how good the work there is and IMO it is very good.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
I know:thumbsup:
But we really don't want a foreign owner, who has as much interest in the Albion, as I have in learning comedy off Michael Mcintyre.
Tony knows best :)

I agree, so we are where we are. :shrug:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Whatever people thought of the Hughton team that side had run its race. A magnificent race but over none the less. If we were still putting that side out week in week out we'd be in Sheff U territory. It was time to make a change and there is no point re running the same scenario. This team is evolving and has a number of very good players emerging but it has a number of weaknesses too. Goals obviously, creativity and pace. Not everything can be solved by the Academy no matter how good the work there is and IMO it is very good.

Unfortunately we do not have a squad of good enough quality to have cover when one of our better players is out. I suspect Lamptey is integral to the way Potter wants to play with his lightening pace. We have no one anything like him so when he’s injured we have to shuffle the pack and play .......Veltman in that position, or Ali J. Both with average pace at best.

Lallana is probably our most intelligent and creative player. He’s out and we bring in Ali J, or Macallister, or Propper, or even Gross. All have their attributes but none match Lallana.

Not sure where Alzate was tonight but I guess that’s another story.

Connolly gets injured, Welbeck is knackered - who do we bring in upfront? No one

Hopefully tonight is the start of the return of an in form Propper, a rested Welbeck, Maupay, white, Lallana and March and the turning point in a frustrating and slightly unlucky season.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
And none of those players are doing any better since they’ve moved on...

some of that was age (Murray), some good management (AK) , some because players knew the system and were suited to it (Duffy) but all together there appears to have been more teamwork/#together than now. Part of it was the bonds formed by the drinking culture which got us promotion but cost us the championship but seemed to be under attack from day one.

Looking at the current team we did improve through lockdown and the start of the season but we are now going backwards....

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
. Part of it was the bonds formed by the drinking culture which got us promotion but cost us the championship but seemed to be under attack from day one.

Looking at the current team we did improve through lockdown and the start of the season but we are now going backwards....

I hated that drinking culture and have not forgiven it for costing us the championship. I’m sure Bloom, etc weren’t t impressed by it but had to turn a blind eye so as not to forfeit promotion however it had to go (ie the culprits) otherwise the likes of Bissouma would have been sucked in and players like Lamptey and White wouldn’t have signed, ie players who see how top players behave, compared to those that are happy coming 2nd

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
So you believe Bloom has big ambitions, employing a rookie to manage on a shoestring budget, it was always going to be a big gamble.

Bloom has done miracles for the club but at the moment he is punching above his weight, Brighton have always sadly lacked ambition, we are what we are. :shrug:

We’re all hurting fella, but you’re not right about ambition. Mike Bamber hired Brian Clough & Peter Taylor and we paid higher wages than Liverpool back in the 70s. We were an ambitious club. Ten years ago we were playing at ****ing Withdean and were potless. We now have a chairman who has bankrolled us to the tune of £300m + AND we are a PL side currently in its 4th season. There are some big/Massive clubs that would kill for that level of non-ambition.

One thing that is spot on though is that Potter/Ashworth are in a results business and Bloom (who is a fan chairman and the bloke who’s multi-millions in the hole) will be asking some brutal questions.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Perhaps our expectations are too high? I mean, he understands better than us perhaps that we're little old Brighton, we've clearly lucked our way here through some administrative error and to expect anything other than a drubbing every week is a sign that we as fans are unrealistic.

I must have missed the drubbings?? We've been more than competitive in pretty much every game, were not even in the bottom 3 FFS.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Potter should be pointing his finger at the club for any "expectations" that were set among us. I actually believe our expectations are realistically lower than ones like this click-bait article on the club website.

I can help Albion reach the Top Ten, says Welbeck
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1868917/i-can-help-albion-reach-the-top-ten-says-welbeck

Based on the first few matches of the season (going toe to toe with Chelsea and United - and being unlucky to lose - and destroying Newcastle at their place) that wasn't a bad expectation back then.
Since Welbeck joined, it's all gone pear shaped (and no, I'm NOT saying that's because he's joined!)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I don't see how anyone can blame Bloom when nobody has any idea what his personal finance situation is. We just must be thankful he's given what he has.

It's the absurd amount of nonsense PR the club have out out in the last 18 months about how wonderful we are that's cause the raised expectations. And the result? The football, shit. The current season points tally, shit. The summer recruitment, shit.

Not good enough. But I'm sure Barber will be in touch soon to wish us all a happy new year and remind us of the long term vision and that the project is only just getting started. Buzzing for it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You drive from Swindon with an ST?! Respect to you, mate. I live near Chippenham so I know what your round trip is like (I could only make 2 or 3 games per season). It's a tough drive home when the weather's poor :albion2:

I had a mad ex in Stonehouse around 2001. . . . Used to head from Crawley after work on a Friday for my oats, and back . .something had to give!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here