Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maybe Potter was right?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The buck stops with Bloom I'm afraid...

I don't agree with you, but I admire your willingness to post an unpopular opinion.

TB certainly isn't uncriticisable, but overwhelmingly has credit in the bank

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Potter should be pointing his finger at the club for any "expectations" that were set among us. I actually believe our expectations are realistically lower than ones like this click-bait article on the club website.

I can help Albion reach the Top Ten, says Welbeck
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1868917/i-can-help-albion-reach-the-top-ten-says-welbeck

Maybe he should **** off, and then we can get someone in with a bit more ambition, Bloom included, Budget is far too small.

We couldn't beat an egg at the moment. :shrug:

Really? Tony Bloom **** off! What a grade A* ****wit sentiment.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Tony Bloom should just **** off? Just wow. You have just posted the most ignorant thing I’ve ever seen on here. Well done

We haven't peaked like this on NSC for some time. Can't quite beleive I read that either.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are 3 worse teams in this division than us, In fact I think there are 6/7 but unless we find a way to convert the chances we create there's a danger that won't matter. I think Tony is faced with a big decision now, Either he changes the Manager and hopes that provides a boost or he backs him and invests in January even if that wasn't in the original plan,

I don't think we can carry on as we are and hope for a change because there isn't one coming. For me as Potter in and especially without a credible alternative we have to bring some quality in even if that means selling one to do so. Whatever, the outcome I'll back the management all the way they've done a decent job thus far but even the most optimistic of us can see something needs to change....

Agree with you.

Especially that change isn't coming on it's own. It's not just bad luck. We're short on quality up front, so Tony is faced with 3 basic choices

1) Change the manager and hope he can get more out of what we have
2) Spend big on new attacking options
3) Keep things largely as they are and hope our fortunes turn

I'm very much hoping for option 2.

option 3 is going to mean a very stressful second half of the season

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Bloody glad I'm not driving a 240 mile round trip afternoon or evening (getting home at 0130) to watch us win 1 home game in 2020!, I might have given up my ST by now.

I know what you mean, the 170 mile round trip for me is bad enough! Evening games always end up with at least one part of the M27 being closed and a detour though country lanes! We should be happy for small mercies! I think Potter would be under a load more pressure if the Amex was full every game!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Man, you guys aren’t content laying into Potter, you’re going to turn on Bloom as well now?

[emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361]

The Buck stops with Bloom, he hires and fires, and yes it's his money he can do what he wants with it.

But we also pay to support the club, although we as supporters have increasingly become a non entity as the TV money rules.

In case nobody has noticed the clubs don't need us supporters is all about the TV and will be for the foreseeable future.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
:ffsparr: He has a far better squad than Hughton, keep clutching at straws mate..

Everyone says that but is it true? Muzza was in form and is miles better than any attacker since has been. Knockaert was better imho than any other wide player since, and a lot better than Trossard. Duffy is a better defender than Webster, not as good with his feet or carrying it out, much much better in defending and attacking in the air and the pairing with Dunk bought the best out of both players. And then players like Ryan, Propper, Gross even Bernado, all seemed to be a lot better than they are today, theyre all pretty crap now. Under Hughton we also had Izzy playing.

Potters tinkering and wholesale changes of players and systems is a big part of the problem, Hughton had a lot more consistency of selection.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
This may sound odd, but as painful as losing tonight was...it feels like it makes decisions for the manager and club very clear with regards to performance. With that I hope we make some ruthless decisions on players and perhaps write the cheque we didn't want to write for a goal scorer. Whatever they do, tonight pincuated the season and in a way that tide going out might just be the saving of our season as they have January to fix it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are hundreds of millions of reasons why Bloom and his family are the man and the dynasty for this club.

How many of those millions does he want to continue to bet that Ashworth and Potter are the answer to both a successful and cost effective (or at least less of a money pit) team?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Everyone says that but is it true? Muzza was in form and is miles better than any attacker since has been. Knockaert was better imho than any other wide player since, and a lot better than Trossard. Duffy is a better defender than Webster, not as good with his feet or carrying it out, much much better in defending and attacking in the air and the pairing with Dunk bought the best out of both players. And then players like Ryan, Propper, Gross even Bernado, all seemed to be a lot better than they are today, theyre all pretty crap now. Under Hughton we also had Izzy playing.

Potters tinkering and wholesale changes of players and systems is a big part of the problem, Hughton had a lot more consistency of selection.

And none of those players are doing any better since they’ve moved on...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Man, you guys aren’t content laying into Potter, you’re going to turn on Bloom as well now?

[emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361][emoji1361]

Never turned on Bloom, love the fella, but as much positive as he has done, he cant be above criticism or fair accountability too and he has made pretty big mistakes like Hyypia.

Its true, that as he sits at the top of the tree, ultimately the buck does stop with him, he has mandated this structure, he has ultimately signed off/recruited this management and coaching staff, recruitment team and recruitment system and the results are there for all to see.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

So you believe Bloom has big ambitions, employing a rookie to manage on a shoestring budget, it was always going to be a big gamble.

Bloom has done miracles for the club but at the moment he is punching above his weight, Brighton have always sadly lacked ambition, we are what we are. :shrug:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Not quite sure why you’ve quoted my post there alongside that one about Bloom?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There are hundreds of millions of reasons why Bloom and his family are the man and the dynasty for this club.

How many of those millions does he want to continue to bet that Ashworth and Potter are the answer to both a successful and cost effective (or at least less of a money pit) team?

That’s the question but does Bloom shell out a lot of cash sacking Potter, etc AND meeting the new player requirements of the new manager? Unless we are prepared to sell white, Lamptey and/or Biss and use that money. Now that would be a gamble.

The alternative is the stick with what we’ve got and hopefully make a good signing in Jan, then if we survive great, and if we don’t, hope that we’ve got a good enough squad to bring us straight back up.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So you believe Bloom has big ambitions, employing a rookie to manage on a shoestring budget, it was always going to be a big gamble.

Bloom has done miracles for the club but at the moment he is punching above his weight, Brighton have always sadly lacked ambition, we are what we are. :shrug:

Given the investment in infrastructure , youth set up etc, Bloom has shown more ambition then many chairman in the PL. what you mean is he isn’t spunking even more than the £300M+ in recent years on transfer fees than he already has

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
‘Bloom included’ come on at least have the bollocks to say what you meant

Okay Bloom included, he has employed a rookie to manage his club on shoestring budget, and yes its his decision and money but we all remember Hyypia.

Don't get me wrong Bloom has done miracles for the club, but we aren't progressing. Some are happy with our lot.

But what is the point of getting relegated only to get back up to go back down, pointless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here