Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 2021 local elections and Hartlepool by-election

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Bit too soon to to sacking people I would have thought. Labour have just posted a couple of decent Mayoral results but nobody will be talking about that now.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I get that Labour have made misjudgements and mistakes, but what are these Red Wall people who have switched to voting Tory actually getting? There are no more jobs, incomes haven't gone up, there are tariffs on imports and British exports, record deaths from Covid and plenty of sleaze.

I am one of those voters to have switched, I am beginning to dislike the people who now still vote labour, as they are oblivious to the real world.
Until they and the Labour party get their act together I can see no other options than to vote blue at the next election. My father would not have been happy with me, but he did always tell me to use my own mind.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
I am one of those voters to have switched, I am beginning to dislike the people who now still vote labour, as they are oblivious to the real world.
Until they and the Labour party get their act together I can see no other options than to vote blue at the next election. My father would not have been happy with me, but he did always tell me to use my own mind.

Would you mind if I ask why? And also how would you describe your politics. just maybe a couple of things that are important to you.

I ask because this is what i don't understand: I fully, and absolutely understand being disillusioned with labour, but I can't get my head around switching to the tories. You could switch to the greens, the lib dems.

by the way, I'm not here to convince you to vote for anyone, or win an argument.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Would you mind if I ask why? And also how would you describe your politics. just maybe a couple of things that are important to you.

I ask because this is what i don't understand: I fully, and absolutely understand being disillusioned with labour, but I can't get my head around switching to the tories. You could switch to the greens, the lib dems.

by the way, I'm not here to convince you to vote for anyone, or win an argument.

I do not want to win an argument either. I find the whole Labour leadership extremely weak and the shadow cabinet mirrors this.
Not only are they weak, but they niggle about things that are meaningless and they also have played politics in extraordinary circumstances, which has eroded my confidence within them.
They need to find a Gordon Brown figure, or they could slip off the radar to many.
The others parties would just be a wasted vote.

Jan 30, 2008

Greens and the Lib dems ? what a waste of a vote !
Regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good to see the SNP fall short of a majority by one, thanks to the Tories winning by 3300 votes in Aberdeen

Its weird hoping they held the seat, felt like cheering Palace if it involved saving Albion from relegation

That said if the UK broke up it wouldn't be relegation, there would be no way back

The election results may be a triumph for the Tories in England but elsewhere it demonstrates Johnson's cavalier regard for the Union as whole

Apparently a Scottish referendum would be RECKLESS, yeah mate...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Unless and until we know every elector's reason for voting as they have, it's impossible to say whether the electorate has fallen for a lie or not.

Indeed, a good point.
There are many differing reasons people vote for a party or a candidate. It could be just one issue they are passionate about or maybe simply like a candidate as a person who will be a good constituent representative in the bigger picture.
This whole `you fell for a lie` business is ridiculous, how on earth does someone know everyone's voting intention.
I recall this same accusation leveled at Blair's Labour voters (because of one incident) when those voters would have had numerous genuine reasons for voting him into power in 97, even if it was something as simple as a change of scenery and a new prospective after years of Tory rule. Someone using this this accusation could not have known every voting intention that was lent to Blair or Labour but still the `you fell for a lie` was dished out.
It smells of a lack of political maturity, a bit studentesque verging on the infantile.
Thankfully it is quite rare, which in itself should tell you all you need to know.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Greens and the Lib dems ? what a waste of a vote !
Regards
DF

Which is part of the problem. No vote should be a wasted vote.

Still, at least it keeps the BNP out, eh ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would imagine a lot of folk around the country are fed up with Gender issues being rammed down their throats along with taking the knee , reap what you sow
Regards
DF

A lot of folk think nothing of it and don't get twisted over it.

They can take the knee as much as they like. Gender issues confuse me a bit but it's no bother.

If you base your vote on that, then, well.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
However likely it is isn't my concern, it is however, true.

Well, differing opinions aside, I think we could all agree something is amiss right now? Let’s hope a balance can be found. There’s fault on all sides. Certainly I don’t wish anyone ill will, including yourself.
Peace :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Which is part of the problem. No vote should be a wasted vote.

Still, at least it keeps the BNP out, eh ?

no vote is ever wasted. its someone registering their preference and that being counted. they dont have to vote for the elected representative, they've won by simply casting their vote.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
36 years ago and has it changed ? https://youtu.be/v9d7ahKWcsM

Yes massively, but now they are split down very different lines.

What I find mildly amusing about the momentum side of the party is they seem happier with a middle class leader (who reinvented himself as working class) rather than a genuinely working class leader who brushed up to the become Director of Public Prosecutions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here