Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] May 2021 local elections and Hartlepool by-election

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Pre pandemic, how exactly was the UK economy trashed?

Most people I know, from every political persuasion seem relatively happy in themselves, albeit with the usual ups and downs in life. WFH has been a dream come true for countless millions. My family, friends and business associates comprise a mix of Remainers, Brexiteers and the indifferent, also, in my neck of the woods we’re a Green Party stronghold. They’re not talking themselves into melancholy because politically at national level they haven’t got their wish just now. If I want to find bitterness and misery, NSC is the only place I can find it.

Genuinely, was the gloomy post made after a load of tiring shift work?

Really? ???

See the long list below…

1,000 sure start centres closed.
780 libraries closed.
700 football pitches closed.
Food bank use up 2,400%.
Homelessness up 1,000%.
Rough sleeping up 1,200%
Bedroom tax caused mass evictions.
Evictions running at record highs.
35% of U.K. kids living in poverty.
Student fees up 300%.
Student debt has risen 150%.
Eradication of EMA (education maintenance allowance).
National debt has risen from £850billion to £2.25trillion.
Emergency Brexit stimulus from BoE in June 2016 of £175b.
Brexit related fall in national revenue £500b.
GDP fallen to -0.1%.
GBP fallen by circa 15% versus EUR and USD.
Manufacturing in recession.
Construction in recession.
Services close to recession.
25-30% cuts to all govt departments.
25-30% cuts to all councils, mainly centred on Labour councils.
Half of councils facing effective bankruptcy.
185k extra deaths attached to the political ideology of austerity.
25,000 less police.
20,000 less prison officers.
10,000 less border officials.
10,000 less firefighters.
10,000 less medical professionals.
25,000 less bed spaces for mental illness.
OECD calculate 3 million hidden unemployed, rate is really 13%.
Creation of 1.3m jobs, mainly temporary, self employed, gig economy and ZHC.
Only 30k full time work positions created.
Close on 50% of workers are self employed, ZHC, or part time precariat.
80% of the 5.3 million self employed live below the poverty line.
35% of self employed only earn £100 a month.
25% cuts for our disabled community.
80% cuts to Mobility allowance.
Closing Remploy.
40% of working households have practically no savings.
70% of households have less than 10k savings.
60% of households can only survive 2 months without a wage.
Household debt reaches new peak, despite emergency base rates.
Increase of 50% in hate crimes.
Increase of knife crime by 150% to 22,000 per year.
Increase in teenage suicide by 70%.
Suicide up 12% in the year 2018.
Self harm among young women up 70%.
Life expectancy down 3 years.
NHS satisfaction level at lowest recorded rate.
Council home building down 90%.
200k social homes lost since 2010.
Zero starter homes built, despite Tory flagship programme
One million families on council home waiting list.
100,000 increase on the council home waiting list since 2010.
36,000 teachers have left teaching.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Most people I know, from every political persuasion seem relatively happy in themselves, albeit with the usual ups and downs in life. WFH has been a dream come true for countless millions. My family, friends and business associates comprise a mix of Remainers, Brexiteers and the indifferent, also, in my neck of the woods we’re a Green Party stronghold. They’re not talking themselves into melancholy because politically at national level they haven’t got their wish just now. If I want to find bitterness and misery, NSC is the only place I can find it.

Very well put, although you’ve been around long enough to know the NSC isn’t a Bellwether for the real world [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Really? ???

See the long list below…

1,000 sure start centres closed.
780 libraries closed.
700 football pitches closed.
Food bank use up 2,400%.
Homelessness up 1,000%.
Rough sleeping up 1,200%
Bedroom tax caused mass evictions.
Evictions running at record highs.
35% of U.K. kids living in poverty.
Student fees up 300%.
Student debt has risen 150%.
Eradication of EMA (education maintenance allowance).
National debt has risen from £850billion to £2.25trillion.
Emergency Brexit stimulus from BoE in June 2016 of £175b.
Brexit related fall in national revenue £500b.
GDP fallen to -0.1%.
GBP fallen by circa 15% versus EUR and USD.
Manufacturing in recession.
Construction in recession.
Services close to recession.
25-30% cuts to all govt departments.
25-30% cuts to all councils, mainly centred on Labour councils.
Half of councils facing effective bankruptcy.
185k extra deaths attached to the political ideology of austerity.
25,000 less police.
20,000 less prison officers.
10,000 less border officials.
10,000 less firefighters.
10,000 less medical professionals.
25,000 less bed spaces for mental illness.
OECD calculate 3 million hidden unemployed, rate is really 13%.
Creation of 1.3m jobs, mainly temporary, self employed, gig economy and ZHC.
Only 30k full time work positions created.
Close on 50% of workers are self employed, ZHC, or part time precariat.
80% of the 5.3 million self employed live below the poverty line.
35% of self employed only earn £100 a month.
25% cuts for our disabled community.
80% cuts to Mobility allowance.
Closing Remploy.
40% of working households have practically no savings.
70% of households have less than 10k savings.
60% of households can only survive 2 months without a wage.
Household debt reaches new peak, despite emergency base rates.
Increase of 50% in hate crimes.
Increase of knife crime by 150% to 22,000 per year.
Increase in teenage suicide by 70%.
Suicide up 12% in the year 2018.
Self harm among young women up 70%.
Life expectancy down 3 years.
NHS satisfaction level at lowest recorded rate.
Zero starter homes built, despite Tory flagship programme
One million families on council home waiting list.
100,000 increase on the council home waiting list since 2010.
36,000 teachers have left teaching.

Please post a link to where you got that list from[emoji106]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How am I re-writings history? ???

Did the Tories hand out contacts worth billions to companies with no prior experience of producing PPE, ventilators and a track and trace system? Yes.

Did those companies have ties to the party through said companies either being party donors or having family and friends as investors? Yes.

Did those companies deliver on said contracts? No.

Did the government choose to do business with those companies instead of companies who actually produce said products and were willing to sell them at cost? Yes.

So the next question is why? If it was genuinely because of the pandemic, surely you go with the companies that actually know what they are doing not just the ones that your mates have shares in or the ones that support you party financially. But apparently pointing this all out is “rushing” to conclusions”.

Occam’s razor my friend.

Careful, you’re using logic.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Please post a link to where you got that link from[emoji106]

It is a copy and paste job from a post I posted on NSC a while ago (late 2019) and saved it the notes on my phone. Always knew it would come in handy again. Sources were the Office of National Statistics and factcheck.org. Feel free to check yourself.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I don’t know anyone that died of covid. There must not have been a pandemic.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
Good God. If a woman that has previously been abused but complains about men in a woman's toilet she is transphobic? If ever a conversation needed adults in the room it's this one. Here's one example of where this well meaning but flawed thinking leads.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ho-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

The 'man in the women's toilet' thing, is purely used by the far right to scare people about the trans community. It is a divide and conquer tactic.

I suspect you know this.

Nothing has ever stopped a man, dressing as a woman, and entering a women's toilet.

There's also biological women who look like men.

It's a nonsense argument.

The fact you've found one trans person who has done some thing terrible doesn't change that.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It is a copy and paste job from a post I posted on NSC a while ago (late 2019) and saved it the notes on my phone. Always knew it would come in handy again. Sources were the Office of National Statistics and factcheck.org. Feel free to check yourself.

An inconvenient truth for some, I’m afraid. Some people simply do not want to acknowledge the facts. Whether that’s down to a personal dislike of the poster or they just don’t like admitting they have fallen for a lie, they probably don’t even know themselves.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Actually to be fair that is a long list, it will take all day to fact check, you sure you can’t provide a credible link to back up your assertion’s?

Tbf I wouldn’t wish that upon you. And you are, quite rightly, fact checking me so it’s on me to provide sources. If I have time over the weekend, I will repost the list with a source for each point.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How am I re-writings history? ???

Did the Tories hand out contacts worth billions to companies with no prior experience of producing PPE, ventilators and a track and trace system? Yes.

Did those companies have ties to the party through said companies either being party donors or having family and friends as investors? Yes.

Did those companies deliver on said contracts? No.

Did the government choose to do business with those companies instead of companies who actually produce said products and were willing to sell them at cost? Yes.

So the next question is why? If it was genuinely because of the pandemic, surely you go with the companies that actually know what they are doing not just the ones that your mates have shares in or the ones that support you party financially. But apparently pointing this all out is “rushing” to conclusions”.

Occam’s razor my friend.

Your problem is that there has been a very obvious propaganda campaign attempting to win the election by using ‘Tory sleaze’ as this was a success in the 1990s. When the pre election agenda was dominated by Boris’ curtains Labour thought that would be enough to win. Perhaps because they think the electorate are stupid and easily lied to ? Some or all of the accusations you make may be true and it will all become clear. People cast their votes for lots of different reasons and I am just suggesting that the left’s rather simplistic demands for working class votes whilst calling them thick won’t wash.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Your problem is that there has been a very obvious propaganda campaign attempting to win the election by using ‘Tory sleaze’ as this was a success in the 1990s. When the pre election agenda was dominated by Boris’ curtains Labour thought that would be enough to win. Perhaps because they think the electorate are stupid and easily lied to ? Some or all of the accusations you make may be true and it will all become clear. People cast their votes for lots of different reasons and I am just suggesting that the left’s rather simplistic demands for working class votes whilst calling them thick won’t wash.

Propaganda/fake news. Ah. I think we all know where you’re coming from now. Disappointing. I genuinely thought you had a bit more to you than that, despite our differing views. But then you describe exposing Tory corruption as “propaganda”.
And you wonder why I say you have fallen for the lies.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
As far as i am concerned it seems to me that so many people have no idea about current affairs, I speak to people about what is going on in the news regarding Covid and the rules, backhanders, PPE and many other things regarding Johnson and the tories and they sat I did not know that.
People must be getting all their info from Facebook and Twitter or a rag like the Daily Mail.
Thickos in Hartlepool have still voted on Brexit, that is how stupid they are, but they have voted for a public schoolboy who is responsible for killing thousands with his dithering, the vaccine roll out has sod all to do with Johnson, it is down to the NHS alone, a real kick up they arse for one that areas biggest employer.
They have basically forgiven Johnson for all the deadly mistakes,including killing nurses, and corrupt activities that he has, is and will continue to do.
Gave up on the majority of the public some time ago, we are awash with ignorant morons.

Thickos in Hartlepool!! Arrogant ****

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Propaganda/fake news. Ah. I think we all know where you’re coming from now. Disappointing. I genuinely thought you had a bit more to you than that, despite our differing views. But then you describe exposing Tory corruption as “propaganda”.
And you wonder why I say you have fallen for the lies.

Well, that’s another misrepresentation. I didn’t say it was fake, just a part of a message. I am saying it can be a little difficult to see the wood from the trees sometimes. Perhaps if you and your Labour Party friends didn’t call out absolutely everything as corruption it would be a little easier for us mere mortals to take you seriously. There is an important point here around responsible opposition in the public interest and your constant hyperbole rather spoils the points you make. If it’s any help I do actually have a lot of respect for Keir Starmer. He is a serious politician. I have rather less respect for some others in Labour.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, that’s another misrepresentation. I am saying it can be a little difficult to see the wood from the trees sometime. Perhaps if you and your Labour Party friends didn’t call out absolutely everything as corruption it would be a little easier for us mere mortals to take you seriously. There is an important point here around responsible opposition in the public interest and your constant hyperbole rather spoils the points you make.

My Labour Party friends? I haven’t voted Labour for well over 20 years.
Are people calling out EVERYTHING as corruption?
Dial down the exaggeration and the propaganda angle.
You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder, trying to character assassinate anyone that disagrees with you. Please just try and focus on the subject matter.
Several other posters do similar. It just leads to silly insults (I’m guilty of that at times too) and we’ve all had enough of that, I’m sure.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My Labour Party friends? I haven’t voted Labour for well over 20 years.
Are people calling out EVERYTHING as corruption?
Dial down the exaggeration and the propaganda angle.
You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder, trying to character assassinate anyone that disagrees with you. Please just try and focus on the subject matter.
Several other posters do similar. It just leads to silly insults (I’m guilty of that at times too) and we’ve all had enough of that, I’m sure.

:) yes, of course I am the one who has a chip on my shoulder and seeks to character assassinate anybody who disagrees with me.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
Cameron’s great lie was that the Labour Party’s borrowing was at the route of the 2008 crash. So many people bought into that. Whilst Brown should have legislated against banks, Osbourne was on the other side screaming for deregulation as UK banks invested heavily in the US sub-prime mortgage market. The Tories made the electorate believe it was spending on rebuilding schools & hospitals that had done for the country, almost all economic academics agree that their austerity policy was an abject failure but the electorate seems happy that Johnson has switched to Labour spending policies having ridiculed them at the last election.

And that brings me on to Boris. Himself & Farage have convinced working people, much like Napoleon on animal farm, that the pigs at the top, the ones skimming off the cream and sorting their mates out, are on their side. The enemy of working people is the EU, it’s BLM, it’s identity politics where minorities such a Trans people seek recognition and respect, it’s the intellectual classes who think they are smarter than the rest, it’s the media with their PC nonsense. Drunk on nationalism, Boris has the Country right where he wants it.

He is the appeasement of ignorance and fear, the solution to those who look back with rose tinted glasses at the past, those who fear globalisation, those who fear educated people, those who blame the liberal middle class for the Country’s woes.

You have to admire the skill of this opportunist pig of a man, as his slops about in his sty ranting of ignoring ‘bodies piled high’ so his old man can get down the pub or over to his holiday home. You have to wonder how on earth he can be stopped now, this pig-in-shit can do no wrong for the majority of voters in this country at the moment; they don’t care about the lies because they know he is a liar.
Rebuilding schools and hospitals :lolol: :lolol: ever heard of PFI? They spunked it on five a day Co ordinators and other pointless non jobs to buy votes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here