May 2 scenario

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Be nice to have a big thank you to the players, before watching in the stadium Burnley choking and Joey having tantrum and getting a long over due red. Be a great day.
Party on the concourse

And I'm up for a conga right round the Amex. Will have to mind the steps, though.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've tried to find a way to get promoted on May 2nd. All the following excludes the last game but presumes all teams except BHA will win
Let's firstly presume we win the next 5 would be on 90 pts.
We then need two from three-
Hull need to drop 1 point, either H to Leeds or A at Reading should cover that.
So one from two-
Burnley need to drop 6 points which is very possible.
Boro need to drop 8 points.
Put into the mix that Burnley play Boro so points dropped there.
I've convinced myself, if only it was that simple.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I suspect a large chunk of that 30,000 won't be so eager to hang around.

-I remember at Withdean in the final year when people didn't hang around for the lap of honour.
-A lot of people will have left on 88 minutes any way
-Some people will take the attitude it doesn't matter what the game is like, just the result, so they have 105+ minutes to get home/to a pub for the final whistle
-A lot of people just aren't that passionate about us/football to feel the need to watch a rival's game.

One wrinkle is that it's the (hopefully) last home game of the season. Will the boys be doing a lap of honor? How long will that take, will fans stay out for that, or head to the concourse for the game on tv? Will the club not put the game on the concourse to encourage support for the team, etc?

No it was due to the idiot announcer who stated that due to the pitch invasion the players were not coming back out. So there was a steady exodus and very many people had already left the ground when the players then came back out. A totally shambolic situation that should not have arisen, and many fans missed the oportunity to applaud the team on the lap of honour due to the wrong announcement being made.

the fact that for the final game a further lap of honour was made did not make up for many fans missing on the night that the title was won, which was more relevant.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No it was due to the idiot announcer who stated that due to the pitch invasion the players were not coming back out. So there was a steady exodus and very many people had already left the ground when the players then came back out. A totally shambolic situation that should not have arisen, and many fans missed the oportunity to applaud the team on the lap of honour due to the wrong announcement being made.

the fact that for the final game a further lap of honour was made did not make up for many fans missing on the night that the title was won, which was more relevant.

The lap of honour was cancelled a short while after the match because of the pitch invasion. A lot of people had already left before the announcement came out that it was cancelled.

The overwhelming majority of fans will not be desperate to watch every minute of the Burnley match.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
We play Derby at the Amex at 2.30, Burnley at home to QPR at 4.45. Both games are being shown back-to-back live on Sky.

Now say if we win, and will be promoted providing Burnley lose or draw. Our game will finish at 4.30 - too late for most people to get home, or even to the pub, to see all the Burnley game. Imagine the queue for Dick's! Even the concourses wouldn't be able to accommodate 30k odd people wanting to watch it. Would the club be allowed to show it on the big screens? If so, I suppose we could just stay in our seats. Could be a really strange way to win promotion...

A difficult one. The club would have to commit to extra staffing- catering and stewards etc that they may not then need if we don't get the right result against Derby. Personally I would be happy to see the second half of the Burnley match in town.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
For this scenario to come to pass, we'll have to take minimum SIX points more than Burnley from our five games vs their four.
And even then a draw against QPR would still be enough to see it through until the last day.
Can't see it, myself.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think, as PB is trying to get live feed for Charlton and Boro, a third game might be one too far.
I can't say I know anything about arranging beamback, but why would having two prevent a third? What is the problem with having them?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I can't say I know anything about arranging beamback, but why would having two prevent a third? What is the problem with having them?
I think it is unheard of to have a beamback of a match where your side isn't involved, but a theoretical point as the Burnley match is on sky anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it is unheard of to have a beamback of a match where your side isn't involved, but a theoretical point as the Burnley match is on sky anyway.
Ok, but having had a couple of previous ones shouldn't be a barrier.

As it's on Sky, they shouldn't need League permission anyway, it's just a venue selling tickets to watch tv, which other places do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports