Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Max Sanders joins Lincoln

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
More to the point, is that had Cook NOT left when he did, then with so many better players ahead of him, he would never have developed into the player he did, at the rate he did.

He'd likely just have left for nothing a year or two later, and his career would have suffered.

Steve Cook is the perfect example of why Sanders moving to Lincoln is the RIGHT decision.
And we still have a sell-on for Cook.

Just bad luck that he has been a Bournemouth 'lifer' so far.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not too happy about this from a selfish point of view because I honestly thought he'd be good enough to make the squad for next season after his loan spell .

Lincoln have got themselves a quality midfielder in Max and they will prosper with him spraying the ball around for fun .

Every time we went to watch the U23s in the good old days , he impressed , and the footage of his loan spell is equally impressive, I'm happy he's going to get regular first team football but can't help thinking we've let a good one go here .

I suppose the competition for midfield places finally made his mind up to move on and I wish him well .

And well done Lincoln for bagging themselves a absolute bargain .

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Another Steve Cook? While he has had a fabulous career at the top levels of English football - he is no better than any regular CB we have had since we got rid of him and the fact he is back in the Championship now without moving on says this.

At the time we had plenty of cover in that space now that offering him first team football was very difficult. Similar to Sandars I guess
I know Cook's reaction to us in the game at the Amex has turned many people against him (and rightly so), but he was playing in the PL before us. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but 168 appearances, and 10 goals having left a Championship side, suggests that Poyet let the wrong defender go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know Cook's reaction to us in the game at the Amex has turned many people against him (and rightly so), but he was playing in the PL before us. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but 168 appearances, and 10 goals having left a Championship side, suggests that Poyet let the wrong defender go.

You're re-writing history here. And you'll find my comments on here the day we let him go are exactly the same as they are now. Good player no one is doubting that, but at the time we had a wealth of talent at CB and you can't just keep hanging on to 'young' players forever. He wasn't playing, wasn't even making the bench so good for him he had an opportunity elsewhere - but he wouldn't have made any difference to our trajectory as a club

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

You could say the same about Tommy Elphick who left around the same time. He was captain of Bournemouth.
They were youngsters without experience, who wanted to play more regularly, so dropped down to League One.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not to me it doesn't.

Dunk and Greer were head and shoulders above anyone else at the club, and Cook also had Elphick and El Abd ahead of him (and Hall and Vincelot were further competition).

Cook had played for the Albion ONCE in the previous 2 seasons. Had he stayed, he'd have been released for nothing a year later, with his career further stalled, and would possibly never have made the progress he did, by getting away and playing games.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You're re-writing history here. And you'll find my comments on here the day we let him go are exactly the same as they are now. Good player no one is doubting that, but at the time we had a wealth of talent at CB and you can't just keep hanging on to 'young' players forever. He wasn't playing, wasn't even making the bench so good for him he had an opportunity elsewhere - but he wouldn't have made any difference to our trajectory as a club

Absolutely this. Hindsight is something that none of us are blessed with, all anyone can do is what seems right at the time.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
In the little I've seen of him he's looked a decent player. He's just unfortunate that we're very well stocked in the position so it's very difficult to get any minutes and without minutes he's never going to reach his potential so as disappointing as it is to see a talented local player leave it's the right move for him.

Good luck to him, hopefully he'll have a long and successful career.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I think that court case was motivational in Cooks move fresh start and all that

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think that court case was motivational in Cooks move fresh start and all that

Wasn't Steve Cook first arrested after we had sold him?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The arrests were in January with the actual alleged incident taking place the previous May.

But Steve Cook was already at Bournemouth when he was arrested, but unless he knew what was coming / going to happen I am not sure that is the reason for his move. Anyway this is a thread about Max Sanders so .... !

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Considering his age and lack of experience, he was never going to get himself into our Premier League team. I'm pleased to see him make a permanent move to get his career on the move. The mentions of Steve Cook in this thread are exactly what I was going to quote - he had to make a move to get first team games and earn his way up the pyramid. Good luck to Sanders, he looks to have real potential and I have great respect to a player dropping into League 1 in order to really start his career. All the very best to the young man.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Max has posted a great pic on social media today:-

1234.jpg

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Probably at the club at the wrong time unfortunately, looked a great prospect but never really getting some game time.

More concerned about our finances so that's another one off the wage bill at least this window!

I don't think his wages will make a lot of difference to our finances.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This is key for the profile of the club. Lamptey took a gamble coming to us and we have shown we are willing to give players game time. The reverse of that is players knowing if they come here and do t get game time we will allow them to move on to progress their career. This could encourage other youngsters to opt for the Albion over other academies.

For Max it is hopefully the start of regular game time and the best opportunity to make a career. Seeing us sign some younger and hugely talented central midfielders probably prompted him to consider his best path. All the best Max

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Max is making his debut for Lincoln City tonight in the Papa John's Trophy semi-final against Sunderland. He's ecstatic:-

[TWEET]1362093649790648323[/TWEET]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here