Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Max Mosley RIP

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I like to think that Mosley wasn’t influential in the big UK picture.

41m population, at peak the BUF reckoned it had 50,000 members (probably exaggerating, propaganda their thing). Mosley, Rothermere and allegedly Edward Windsor.

Whilst the rest of the nation despised them, from toffs such as Churchill to the fantastic collection of opponents at Cable Street. 20,000 opposed 3,000.

Then and now, I don’t think this country warms to violent extremes, of the left or right. Perhaps it’s because it’s a melting pot of immigrants over many centuries? Far right groups an eclectic collection of weirdos and bald, fat football thugs. Easily tracked by the police.

You're correct to point that out, but I was talking about his influence on the media in the 1920s, as that is what was alluded to by the poster formerly known as DR . Mosley's politics changed with the wind at that time, and his background obviously helped him blag his way into an idiosyncratic political career. However, I do think it is a big mistake to be complacent about fascism and white-supremacy - the "it couldn't happen here" track - based on nebulous things such as "national character." Mobilising against the far right is as important today as it was in 1936.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're correct to point that out, but I was talking about his influence on the media in the 1920s, as that is what was alluded to by the poster formerly known as DR . Mosley's politics changed with the wind at that time, and his background obviously helped him blag his way into an idiosyncratic political career. However, I do think it is a big mistake to be complacent about fascism and white-supremacy - the "it couldn't happen here" track - based on nebulous things such as "national character." Mobilising against the far right is as important today as it was in 1936.

Don’t worry, I’m not.

The US is obviously a major concern, Trump and QAnon have disgustingly stirred up tens of millions into Jew, homosexual and black hating. Things looking bad in France, Hungary and Poland.

I’d rather this didn’t become the usual nsc left-right borefest. But imho in the uk we have to separate democratic, centre right to right political parties and voters (almost half the electorate), from the minority of right wing scum who hate Jews, blacks and would do people harm. For example the cowardly attack on Owen Jones. I followed the subsequent court case, it appeared that the thugs were also Pompey and Chavski thugs with history. Funny that.

Edit: Remembering the murder of Jo Cox. Agreed, dangerous right wing loons out there.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Son of a fascist, an active member of the national union of fascists in the 1950s, an adulterous sadomasochistic who supported safer cars

I can see why your job engraving headstones didn’t get beyond the probationary period.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Weird one, obviously his background and influences from his father was very wrong, coupled with him and Ecclestone carving up F1. But conversely has saved thousands of lives with pushing through F1 safety measures after Senna’s death and translating those standards into ordinary production cars with European standard safety measures.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When you next buy a car and among the MPG and 0 to 60 stuff you look up remember that Euro NCAP safety guide was his idea. His thoughts when boss of F1 was safety first.
Many people alive today can thank him.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He features quite a lot in Jon Ronson's 'So you've been publicly shamed'. It's quite interesting his reaction to the tabloid expose.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm not a huge Formula One motor racing fan by any means but what he did after the double tragedy of the San Marino Grand Prix in 1994 (how on earth the race went ahead after the death in practice of Ratzenberger I will never ever know - well it wouldn't happen now, and we lost arguably the best F1 driver in history in Ayrton Senna the next day) surely he deserves far more respect from the media - from reading through various outlets this morning.

All the old and current famous F1 names have paid tribute to him about getting European safety laws through and he should be remembered for that. Not what he did in private and his family hearing all about his alleged sordid sex life behind closed doors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here