Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
He wasn't very good tonight. If anything that proves he cannot play upfront as the lone striker. He never held anything up. Maupay on plays well with another striker alongside him

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He wasn't very good tonight. If anything that proves he cannot play upfront as the lone striker. He never held anything up. Maupay on plays well with another striker alongside him

I think this is it. He was poor but the set up around him didn’t play to his strengths and when it became blindingly obvious to most of us nothing was changed, he Should have either been subbed or supported

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why is it the manager can't see it. Think he brought McAlister on because he got teh point in last game rather than any sense of tactical play.

I guess that he didn’t want to ruin the 3-5-1 or 5-3-1, because we were playing well for 30 minutes plus with that.

To me, but what do I know, it would’ve been ruthless to exploit their defence with Connolly getting amongst them.

Perhaps replacing Trossard who tried, but lacked composure this evening I felt.

Last edited:

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
Bang, nail.on the head!

Strange team line up. White midfield? Yeah okay against a better team away. At home to West Brom? NO. Better off with Lallana with Bissouma in centre midfield and playing Maupay, Trossard and Connolly up top.

I agree Maupay looks better with Connolly up with him.

Didn't mean to quote myself, was for [MENTION=3791]@Weststander

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he has to think about it - he f*cks it. Seen it time and time again. Not a terrible striker by any means, but he's the opposite of clinical.

Unfortunately thats what you get when you buy a £16m Championship striker, and drop him into the PL. His finishing at Palace and today was abysmal, and has directly contributed to us dropping 4 points.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Maupay needs someone to run off. Why the fook Potter played 4 centre backs at home against a side that hasn’t won yet and didn’t play Connelly upfront with Maupay shows his tactical ineptness. Although Maupay isn’t playing well he isn’t being helped by the team selection.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I like Maupay but he didn't have a great game tonight - like many others.

It took a good save to deny him in the first half - which Lallana should have shot rather than play it square.IMO

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I like Maupay but he didn't have a great game tonight - like many others.

It took a good save to deny him in the first half - which Lallana should have shot rather than play it square.IMO

Both should have scored with that chance, wish Lallana had just stuck it the net as you say.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I guess that he didn’t want to ruin the 3-5-1 or 5-3-1, because we were playing well for 30 minutes plus with that.

To me, but what do I know, it would’ve been ruthless to exploit their defence with Connolly getting amongst them.

Perhaps replacing Trossard who tried, but lacked composure this evening I felt.

It was either Connolly for anonymous Trossard to go after them and peg them back, or Alzate/gross for Trossard to bulk up the midfield. Taking off the best player on the pitch and our main creative outlet was a schoolboy error

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I think Connelly is better finisher than Maupay as he does things by instinct. Maupay needs time and then the chance has gone. It is time to give Connelly a run on his own up front or in a two with either Maupay or Welbeck. Trossard also needs to be benched on his last two matches so maybe you could play all three up front together with Welbeck wide left and drifting in behind the other two.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Wellbeck has an empty net to shoot at if he wants it, IMO.

I have never been convinced about Maupay; too often he shoots when he should assist, and assists when he should shoot. This would matter less if his execution was better. he is 5/10 striker, and we need more from him. OK, so he was 'only' £16m, but others of a similar price have done better.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Strange team line up. White midfield? Yeah okay against a better team away. At home to West Brom? NO. Better off with Lallana with Bissouma in centre midfield and playing Maupay, Trossard and Connolly up top.

I agree Maupay looks better with Connolly up with him.

Didn't mean to quote myself, was for [MENTION=3791]@Weststander

have you just agreed with yourself?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Neal took his offside goal well ... but he was ... well ... offside.

It says to me that it's not a problem between the ears though

Not sure that's a great example.

He had an age to get back onside for that one.
He just stayed offside, unaware what to do.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I have never been convinced about Maupay; too often he shoots when he should assist, and assists when he should shoot. This would matter less if his execution was better. he is 5/10 striker, and we need more from him. OK, so he was 'only' £16m, but others of a similar price have done better.

Yeah this.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'll be disappointed if Maupay starts the next game, for several reasons.

Continually failing to convert chances can't be good for his morale, and watching him doing it from the bench while not getting a chance themselves won't be good for that of Connolly and Welbeck. He's not too good at keeping the ball either, which is part of the job of a lone forward.

But most of all Potter has to show that failing to deliver the goods has consequences. And while I'm grudgingly impressed with the new ways Maupay comes up with to miss chances every game, enough surely has to be enough.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
To me it's a simple fact that he plays better along side Connolly.

Dunno if that's borne out under analysis but I can't think of a game when that was challenged.

Absolutely this.

We're a lot better when the team is set up to attack with Bissouma, Alzate, Maupay and Connolly all on the pitch at the same time.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

With our recent stats he'd probably blast it wide. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here