Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay Dropped

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You don’t find it odd to drop the club top scorer, who by all accounts is fully fit from the SQUAD?

Ok...

Potter does quirky tactical things all the time, he changes the formation several times a match . Gross was playing right back at the end of last night, he often has about 5 centre backs in the team, and he has no issues about playing a teenager or giving a young player his debut. Are you really surprised or think its odd he's left someone out of the squad ?
Perhaps he thinks Welbeck - from what he's seen in training - is our top striker. He definitely believes that Trossard - who didn't show it last night tbh - can play up. front.

More fun on here to think its a juicy conspiracy or some nonsense. Always the case if anyone is dropped. Perhaps it is. But look at the manager . Its what he does. Why the shock ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Here is a theory.

Potter decided to change the line up because he wasn't happy with some of the guys. He felt that we would have a better chance against Spuds with different players in the starting line up.

He can do that because he's the head coach, and knows more about it than armchair experts like ourselves.

And it looked pretty good to me :shrug:

Utterly preposterous

Post of the day ;-)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You don’t find it odd to drop the club top scorer, who by all accounts is fully fit from the SQUAD?

Ok...

No. Maupay's been misfiring the last couple games, Welbeck and Zeqiri have been brought in and Potter has seen them all in training every day. Not odd. Surprising, sure....but delighted he had the cojones to leave Maupay and Ryan out - shows he's not afraid to shake things up and that no-one is 'undroppable'. Good psychology.

My guess is Maupay will start v Burnley and will be looking to prove himself after his kick up the arse.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Potter does quirky tactical things all the time, he changes the formation several times a match . Gross was playing right back at the end of last night, he often has about 5 centre backs in the team, and he has no issues about playing a teenager or giving a young player his debut. Are you really surprised or think its odd he's left someone out of the squad ?
Perhaps he thinks Welbeck - from what he's seen in training - is our top striker. He definitely believes that Trossard - who didn't show it last night tbh - can play up. front.

More fun on here to think its a juicy conspiracy or some nonsense. Always the case if anyone is dropped. Perhaps it is. But look at the manager . Its what he does. Why the shock ?

I thought Welbeck looked very exciting when he came on, lively, full of talking and wanting the ball. Please stay fit!!!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
No, but if you're leaving out our top scorer and best striker to give him a kick up the backside, you play his understudy in his place. You don't switch to no striker and leave Connolly out of the squad altogether. He may not have set the Premier league alight but equally he doesn't deserve to be dropped all together.

So not to play both tells me it was either genuinely tactical, or the pair are isolating and the club doesn't want it to get out, or they've done something together which has caused them to be disciplined, and again the club is keeping it internal.

I find it hard to believe this is supposed to be a wake up call for poor performances, because they haven't been bad, all strikers have good games and bad games and it isn't Potter's style. He replaces players if he thinks the youngsters are better, hence Sanchez, i don't think he goes in for the tactical benching

You're assuming Connolly is still Maupay's understudy.

I'd argue now we have added 2 new options, he is now 3rd or possibly 4th choice. That's why he didn't make the bench.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No. Maupay's been misfiring the last couple games, Welbeck and Zeqiri have been brought in and Potter has seen them all in training every day. Not odd. Surprising, sure....but delighted he had the cojones to leave Maupay and Ryan out - shows he's not afraid to shake things up and that no-one is 'undroppable'. Good psychology.

My guess is Maupay will start v Burnley and will be looking to prove himself after his kick up the arse.

I think Welbeck is already pushing for a start.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear

Welbeck and Maupay may well make a good pairing and worth a try against Burnley. A tall and small combo and Welbeck will bring some experience which we otherwose lack up front. Use Connolly to freshen things up. Potter dropping Maupay could be to give him a little breather and to remotivate him. A reminder that he's not guranteed a start. Maupay seems like the sort tof player that will react positively to prove his point.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Hope so....he looked pretty sharp considering lack of game time. Really important that there is competition for places - he offers that as an absolute minimum that Maupay didn't have previously. Wouldn't be surprised if they both start.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Think your probably right, hopefully Potter will use the same theory on Trossard..... after a great start to the season has been missing the last 3 games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Welbeck... barely no pre-season, 20 minutes of play in a little more than three months... I doubt he is pushing for a start currently.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A breach of the NDP.

back in the squad for Friday, with his nose partially out of joint. but some shooting practice done.

FWIW the fact there were 2 strikers on the bench suggests the starting line up was a tactical move.

Zef:
What is NDP????

Ah yes, No dickheads policy.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have never seen Trossard play sole central striker. I today spoke to friend in Belgium who saw most of his club games there he said never saw him play upfront on his own. He watched our game and also thought it odd that Trossard was subbed and we ended with a CB up front

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Welbeck... barely no pre-season, 20 minutes of play in a little more than three months... I doubt he is pushing for a start currently.

Being included in the match day squad ahead of 2 strikers that have been used this season suggests the manager thinks he's ready for game time. No idea what he's done since Watford's last PL game when he played a full 90 and now, he could have been on the best strengthening and fitness programme of his career for all we know. We'll have to wait and see. I doubt he'll start, but as with the selection last night, anything is possible.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We went from creating a lot of chances against Chelsea (13 shots, 3 on target) and Man U (18 / 5) to looking totally toothless with no one in the box and two shots on target all game - one of them the goal. Connolly has the pace and Maupay the shithousery to create substantially more than that. Not starting with either? I can just about buy that. Starting Trossard up there? Hmmm. Sticking Swiss Andy ahead of BOTH? Gives you no option to go back to what you know.

And, as I said on the match thread, testy presser, testy pre match and Maupay question dodged.

Very little doubt that they were dropped for more than tactical reasons but the tactical change didn't work nearly as well as people are saying if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
From the whole squad. Club saying purely tactical which is obviously complete bollocks. You don’t drop our best striker who’s been decent this season out of the whole squad for that. So what’s happened? A major incident off the pitch? Covid? I just can’t see it being tactical. I’m sure the rumours will now start - miraculously the attention seekers seem to speak out about what they’ve heard AFTER the news of the dropping - but I do think there’s something wrong here.

Screenshot_20201102-191614_Albion.jpg

At least 3 smiling :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here