Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay Dropped

It doesn't explain it at all. It's a lazy journalist typing out the pre game interview everyone who did PPV or managed to hook into the Sky coverage heard, word for word. Doesn't mention Maupay in any way - in fact dodges the question. Again, if it was Covid related that would have been the point at which he could have said so.

Glad I didn't waste two quid then!

Yoda

English & European
To finish the game with Burn up front is baffling.

Also - on Monday we were told an hour from Lallana at home to WBA was pre-planned. So how come he's suddenly available to do 90 away at Spurs when we have a massive home game on Friday evening?

Very odd.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think injuries to March & Lampty put paid to Lallana coming off

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
You don't just leave your only two tried and tested strikers out of the squad completely for 'tactical' reasons - something is clearly up.

I can understand Connoly being left out but it's complete BS to suggest that Maupay deserved to be left out due to form, 4 in 6 is a good return and he's consistently getting himself into goalscoring situations.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
You don't just leave your only two tried and tested strikers out of the squad completely for 'tactical' reasons - something is clearly up.

I can understand Connoly being left out but it's complete BS to suggest that Maupay deserved to be left out due to form, 4 in 6 is a good return and he's consistently getting himself into goalscoring situations.

Against West Brom he managed just a single shot, that's why he was dropped.

I'm sure he'll be back soon, now his mind has been refocused.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I can't understand Connolly being left out, his runs stretch and worry defenders and others feed off it and not to mention the penalties he has won. Sure he is not finishing but he's not really missing them either because he is not usually playing right up top. We had a very mobile team with him and Alzate playing and Mcalister also fits well in that style. That mobility allowed Trossard much more space.

I go back to the WBA game, yes he missed one where he should have shot but look at any game and a lot of strikers are not doing well. He did not seem happy playing up top by himself and his body language to the bench showed that. Maybe I am adding more than was there but his complete omission is very strange.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Against West Brom he managed just a single shot, that's why he was dropped.

I'm sure he'll be back soon, now his mind has been refocused.

Why didn’t he drop most of our defenders after the Everton game based on this theory ? There’s no way you drop your top scorer from the 18 because of his performance v West Brom

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

To have neither in the squad is the most baffling thing. I agree with those saying there's something going on. The club are annoying good at keeping these things in house

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Why? He's hardly set the Premier League alight.

No, but if you're leaving out our top scorer and best striker to give him a kick up the backside, you play his understudy in his place. You don't switch to no striker and leave Connolly out of the squad altogether. He may not have set the Premier league alight but equally he doesn't deserve to be dropped all together.

So not to play both tells me it was either genuinely tactical, or the pair are isolating and the club doesn't want it to get out, or they've done something together which has caused them to be disciplined, and again the club is keeping it internal.

I find it hard to believe this is supposed to be a wake up call for poor performances, because they haven't been bad, all strikers have good games and bad games and it isn't Potter's style. He replaces players if he thinks the youngsters are better, hence Sanchez, i don't think he goes in for the tactical benching

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Some disciplinary matter I reckon.

A breach of the NDP.

back in the squad for Friday, with his nose partially out of joint. but some shooting practice done.

FWIW the fact there were 2 strikers on the bench suggests the starting line up was a tactical move.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I heard Maupay and Ryan had eloped together and were living on a small island in the Caribbean. Neal was out shopping for blinds while Maty got the dinner started; when Neal returned Maty was furious that he had chosen Romany blinds when he had made it quite clear that he wanted those ones with the slats. The relationship has now broken down and they have agreed to return to their lives as professional footballers and will be available on Friday, after apologising to Graham.

Source; as reliable as all the others on this thread.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here is a theory.

Potter decided to change the line up because he wasn't happy with some of the guys. He felt that we would have a better chance against Spuds with different players in the starting line up.

He can do that because he's the head coach, and knows more about it than armchair experts like ourselves.

And it looked pretty good to me :shrug:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I don't get the mystery?

He's been crap for a couple of games and so he gets dropped. No conspiracy.

We now have enough alternatives to leave him out and give him a kick up the arse.

Good management.

Dropping from the team? Correct, no mystery, and I’d agree it was a needed move.

Dropping our top scorer from the match squad? That’s quite odd and entirely understandable that fans would have question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here