Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Get a grip he served us with passion, commitment and skill. A quality keeper who was instrumental to us staying in the premier League in our first few seasons. A run of indifferent form and some kind of fall from grace doesn't undo that for me. I wish him well at Arsenal or where ever he ends up and appreciate what he gave to our club. I'll miss his 80 meter sprints to celebrate goals!

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Maty I'll remember is the one that always instinctively yelled 'HEADS! HEADS!' to warn anybody behind the goal in the North that they were in danger of having their block knocked off by an errant shot during his pre-match workout. And the one who made a point of coming back out to the North after games to pose for photos and sign things for adoring kids (and quite a few adults) after games. He never had to do either of those things. Can't imagine there's many EPL keepers that would.

This is after the Leicester game in March 2018...
View attachment 133894

Total respect to Maty Ryan. Top man! :bowdown:

View attachment 133895

Looks like he knows he’s upset some of us.

He made a silly mistake, realised it and apologised. I’ll also remember him as a nice humble guy, who went out of his way for the fans and the kids.

Don’t let one interview sour all the good work. Top guy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
View attachment 133895

Looks like he knows he’s upset some of us.

And here we have a classic example of someone trying to push the toothpaste back into the tube.

Not overly fussed anyway. We've improved since he left, and he's got what he wanted in joining the subs on a big clubs bench. Everybody's happy. We all move on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He made a silly mistake, realised it and apologised. I’ll also remember him as a nice humble guy, who went out of his way for the fans and the kids.

Don’t let one interview sour all the good work. Top guy.

Unfortunately, his detractors won't spurn an opportunity no matter how puerile.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Get a grip he served us with passion, commitment and skill. A quality keeper who was instrumental to us staying in the premier League in our first few seasons. I run of indifferent form and some kind of fall from grace doesn't undo that for me. I wish him well at Arsenal or where ever he ends up and appreciate what he gave to our club. I'll miss his 80 meter sprints to celebrate goals!

The way some bang on you'd think Ryan was the only keeper ever to have a drop in form!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not every footballer can be Andri Orlandi.

'Procrastination is the thief of time'

:love: Beautiful player and man.

Good for Ryan apologising, I'm not one for pearl clutching but thought his comments were out out of order. Especially as he's only on loan. And coming so soon after we saw how you do leave a club with total dignity and respect from all following true legend Murray's departure.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Thought some of his comments were unnecessary but maybe he has a tingle in his mingle because Arsenal is his boyhood club (I mean wouldn't you if you got to play for the Albion?) and maybe a bit of bitterness if it went badly wrong behind closed doors with teammates and manager?

However, while I watched him in the Amex I thought he always did well enough, despite worries about his size, and I was happy with him as our keeper. no complaints. As others have said though his performances since covid weren't great and it can't be denied that without the protection of Dunk n Duffy he was somewhat exposed.

As above, it seems a win-win for both parties at the moment- we are very, very happy with Sanchez and with Ryan's wages being paid by someone else. And he's happy as a Gooner.

Let's hope at end of this season both parties are still happy!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I bloody loved Orlandi and from the interviews I’ve seen since he left he loved his time at the Albion and speaks very warmly about them.

We stayed in a hotel in Bristol a year after he left. I noticed the Blackpool team were in the same hotel, and asked if Andrea had travelled. Their stats bloke asked if we were Brighton fans, because he came from Lewes. He asked if we'd like to speak to him, so went to his room and Andrea came down to the lounge and talked to us for a while.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's embarrassing how some people have got so worked up about this.

Do you think fans of Independiente del Valle are throwing their toys out of the pram after Caicedo said moving to the Prem was a massive step up?

Or indeed that Caciedo said he saw us as a step up to a top European team such as Man Utd

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It's embarrassing how some people have got so worked up about this.

Do you think fans of Independiente del Valle are throwing their toys out of the pram after Caicedo said moving to the Prem was a massive step up?

That's not all he's said and done though. I can only presume you haven't watched the video.

Martinez tweeted a picture of himself and the words "Clean sheet" and Maty Ryan liked it. Bit pathetic that. He's had no other engagement with him, he was just pleased Brighton didn't score.

Ryan's gone down in my books. I thought he was the consummate professional, it's clear now he isn't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone else here relaxed about the whole affair? Whether Ryan was eased out or aspired all along to join Arsenal, I’m just pleased that Sanchez is that goalie we’ve sought for many seasons.

I don’t think MR will get many first team EPL games for Arsenal, as Leno is a pretty good keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here