Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He dives to the left, he dives to the riiiiight, that midget Ryan, his keeping is shite!

Look, mate, if you’d concentrated on actually keeping the ball out of the ****ing net rather than running the length of the pitch to celebrate with your less vertically challenged team mates, you might still be first choice keeper for a decent Premier League team rather than just a bench warmer for a mid table club.

‘Maty’ should keep his mouth shut after all the points he’s cost us. I would suggest his and our future’s are going in two very different trajectory’s and ours is certainly not in a downward direction.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
So glad I don't have to feel guilty about hating that tw@t now !!!

Hasn't been good for years , just annoyed he stole a few mill off Tony over the past 2 years.

Couple of years in the stiffs at arsenal then off he trots to worrata warriors or Canberra cowboys.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Typical moaning Aussie. I said straight after the restart after lockdown his performances were declining, Potter made the call and no coincidence we have significantly improved defensively.

He’s now played 1 game for his dream club. Which he lost and is now bench warming (again)

That’s the way football works. I imagine there is an element of him being a big earner and us not wanting to pay him for being #2 but everything that happened boils down to performances and that he is responsible for.

The goals he conceded always reminded me of Joe Hart in the way they never looked like mistakes but a spectacular dive to try and get to a shot, and it still going in often makes a goal look better than it is

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He knows what he is saying it’s a sly dig don’t try to dress it up. There are ways of talking up his move ‘club I have always dreamed of signing for blah blah blah’ .

Acting like a bitter jilted ex girlfriend with these comments which considering he is still contracted to us is poor from him IMO and makes him look a bit of a knob.

A bitter ex girlfriend who has just remembered she hasn’t pick her stuff up yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Have I missed his transfer to Arsenal, isn't he only there on loan?

If a permanent signing them I could understand his little outburst but a loan different story he is still our player and who said we would sell him to Arsenal permanently?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We now have a keeper we're happier with and he got a move he's happy with. Relax folks, it's all good.

Agree with this.

Things seem to have ended badly and some of the quotes attributed are disappointing.

However, Maty was a terrific keeper for us for our first 2 to 3 seasons in the PL. In each of those seasons he was in the mix for player of the season.

His form has dropped off a cliff and a move is now best for all parties.

I don't know him, but my guess is that one day he'll look back and think he could have done things and said things differently in the last few months. The frustration of playing badly and the humiliation of losing your place to a youngster is probably what's speaking here. He'll regret the way things ended.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
His comments only really damage himself. Claims he's got his dream move, but also admits his performances dipped and the reason for leaving is because we had decided to move him on and go with another keeper. Outside of that he's said that Arsenal are a bigger club, which they are, and that he didnt feel supported here, which is probably how every player who is politely shown the door feels. Nothing really dramatic or new to this.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Have I missed his transfer to Arsenal, isn't he only there on loan?

If a permanent signing them I could understand his little outburst but a loan different story he is still our player and who said we would sell him to Arsenal permanently?

It's true.

In the summer, we'll be in a position where we may have to find a club for Maty .... also Duffy, Ali J and Locadia all of whom on massive wages, in the midst of the football economy tanking due to the pandemic.

This will be hard.

The upshot is, we may need to re-integrate players who the manager doesn't want to re-integrate.

This may be tough for us as a fanbase to get used to as well

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Having had access to the whole interview, about 32 minutes, I can confirm that at no point did Ryan slag the Albion off. He was a little unhappy about the way he was firstly dropped.

But his main complaint was centred around when he was told that Sanchez was getting an extended run in the first team, along with Steel as reserve. He claims he was summoned to GP office post training, told the news, and advised to consider his future if any good offers came in for him in January.

I am not a Ryan fan particularly, his skills were at times found wanting. But he has not been in anyway dismissive about the Albion, just perhaps the way things were handled. I wish him well.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Maty Ryan disrespect

I don't think Maty Ryan was being disrespectful to the club when he said he's made a massive step up. Historically Arsenal are a much bigger club than us despite there not being much in it at the moment. I think we have to take his comments with a pinch of salt, he's obviously a little bit bitter about how it ended and how good Sanchez has been but let's not forget Ryan has saved us on many occasions, he's one of the best keepers we've ever had whether you like to admit it or not.

The truth is he just doesn't fit Potters style. Under Hughton Dunk and Duffy were heading out every ball that came into the box and that was on the rare occasions teams crossed against us because we usually played defensive football in the premier league under Hughton with almost everybody behind the ball Ryan is a very good shot stopper and that's all he had to really do. Now we're a much more aggressive side one of the most effective ways teams were scoring against us was via crosses because as good as Ben White and Adam Webster are on the ball they don't command the air the same way Shane Duffy did.

Graham Potter ultimately knew we'd need a keeper who can come and collect with more confidence than Ryan and made the difficult decision to replace him with an untested u23 goalkeeper and thankfully it paid off. Maty Ryan has now got a fantastic move to Arsenal to try and earn his spot there.

He was fantastic for us but time changes everything eventually.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
His move seems to have been beneficial both for him and us.

If he’s bitter about us then... :shrug:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If he had been playing well enough to still be our first choice, would we have let him o on loan to Arsenal? No.

Would Arsenal have bought him, if Leno had a career ending injury and they needed a replacement in January? No .

It would have been a better keeper.

Sorry, Marty , but that’s the score, you are no longer good enough be a first choice Premier League keeper.

Not even for little Brighton.

Spot on.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't think Maty Ryan was being disrespectful to the club when he said he's made a massive step up. Historically Arsenal are a much bigger club than us despite there not being much in it at the moment. I think we have to take his comments with a pinch of salt, he's obviously a little bit bitter about how it ended and how good Sanchez has been but let's not forget Ryan has saved us on many occasions, he's one of the best keepers we've ever had whether you like to admit it or not.

The truth is he just doesn't fit Potters style. Under Hughton Dunk and Duffy were heading out every ball that came into the box and that was on the rare occasions teams crossed against us because we usually played defensive football in the premier league under Hughton with almost everybody behind the ball Ryan is a very good shot stopper and that's all he had to really do. Now we're a much more aggressive side one of the most effective ways teams were scoring against us was via crosses because as good as Ben White and Adam Webster are on the ball they don't command the air the same way Shane Duffy did.

Graham Potter ultimately knew we'd need a keeper who can come and collect with more confidence than Ryan and made the difficult decision to replace him with an untested u23 goalkeeper and thankfully it paid off. Maty Ryan has now got a fantastic move to Arsenal to try and earn his spot there.

He was fantastic for us but time changes everything eventually.

Chuck it in the other thread mate, but I agree. I hope Ryan does well but Sanchez is proving to be fantastic and that's all that matters now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here