Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As I said it's incredibly petty, as if you couldn't just delete the letter, just comes across as rude to continuously get someone's name wrong tbh.

Are you for real? Auto correct added an additional “t” to my spelling of a player and I didn’t notice. Omg, how disrespectful.

I’d say you’re the one being petty tbh.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
‘Arsenal are a massive step up from Brighton’

Nobody will say Arsenal aren’t a bigger club than us but it’s not exactly black and white is it, going somewhere to sit on the bench is never a step up from being a starting keeper for a team in the same league. It’s accepting being second choice, that’s what Ryan has done because he’s a goalkeeper, he knows how good Leno is and you can’t be that stupid to think you’re going to get in the team.

I don’t have a problem with that either, sign for a club you deem bigger and pick up your pay cheque every week, but don’t come out in the press and act as if we were a stepping stone and it’s moving your career forward, fact is we may have been a stepping stone if he’d been good enough, he’d have got a big club move. He wasn’t, that’s on him.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The most important word in this post is ‘if’

If Biss does go to Arsenal, I’m not convinced he will, I would imagine he would have the class to say thanks Albion, loved my time here, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to realise my dream of playing for my boyhood club in the Premier League.

Don’t forget,We took a huge punt on Ryan when he came to us from being on loan at Genk.

He should show a little gratitude, no matter how things have ended up.

The if, is will we sell him? Arsenal have got to get to Tony’s valuation, being they have just borrowed £120million to ease cash flow which has to repaid in May they’re not going to be flush.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If Biss does go to Arsenal, I’m not convinced he will, I would imagine he would have the class to say thanks Albion, loved my time here, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to realise my dream of playing for my boyhood club in the Premier League.

Don’t forget,We took a huge punt on Ryan when he came to us from being on loan at Genk.

Plus, if Bissouma does go to Arsenal in the summer, it will because we will have got a massive fee for him, a fee which TB has decided it's worth taking.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
What digs were those? He doesn't mention the training facilities or Potter.

Training facilities from 27.53. He mentions Potter many times by innuendo, passive voice (I was told .. etc) without saying his name or position or 'he ..' unlike what he says about 'Mikel.'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe Ryan has taken the Richard Wright career move. Went to Man City in 2012, never played a game, just sat on the bench for 4 years and then retired - extremely rich.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Training facilities from 27.53. He mentions Potter many times by innuendo, passive voice (I was told .. etc) without saying his name or position or 'he ..' unlike what he says about 'Mikel.'

Wow. Skimmed through from there. He says it was “inhumane” because he couldn’t access the full training facilities when he wanted. And complaining he didn’t get enough warm baths.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Regardless of how long we've had him he's only got about a dozen or so PL appearances under his belt. Give it a year and if he's maintained and built on the standards set so far, he'll be a £20m+ asset easily.

Tony would laugh a bid of 20m off right now.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Wow. Skimmed through from there. He says it was “inhumane” because he couldn’t access the full training facilities when he wanted. And complaining he didn’t get enough warm baths.

Yes but the context was about being in Covid bubbles and the drawbacks involved.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you for real? Auto correct added an additional “t” to my spelling of a player and I didn’t notice. Omg, how disrespectful.

I’d say you’re the one being petty tbh.
Don't beat yourself up about it - if anything it is Maty Ryan who is spelling it wrong. Firstly, the usual abbreviation of Matthew is Matt, not Mat, and secondly, in English it is normal to have a double 't' when it separates a single vowel and a 'y' - as in pretty, ditty, potty, butty, etc. The only exception I can think of (and exceptions are what makes our language so wonderful) offhand is 'pity'.
Still, I suppose he is entitled to mis-spell his own name if he wants to - and anyway, he's Australian ........
:wink:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Don't beat yourself up about it - if anything it is Maty Ryan who is spelling it wrong. Firstly, the usual abbreviation of Matthew is Matt, not Mat, and secondly, in English it is normal to have a double 't' when it separates a single vowel and a 'y' - as in pretty, ditty, potty, butty, etc. The only exception I can think of (and exceptions are what makes our language so wonderful) offhand is 'pity'.
Still, I suppose he is entitled to mis-spell his own name if he wants to - and anyway, he's Australian ........
:wink:

Exactly. It’s Matty’s fault [emoji6]

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Compare it to the dignified comments made by one of our youngsters released last week about enjoying his time at the club, thanking and wishing all well, and that from a lad who may drop out of the game altogether. Not sure why you feel the need to fight Ryan’s corner on here and keep reiterating the differentiation in size between the two clubs.

You must have missed his goodbye post https://www.instagram.com/p/CKb6ZbfBjcx/?igshid=kuzuk2ongh26

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It was obvious a year ago that Ryan was no longer a good Premier League goalkeeper. Statistically he was poor long before people started noticing that he wasn't up to the standard of the other goalkeepers at this level. He doesn't make many errors as such, but he isn't capable of playing the way Martinez did yesterday. He's been shown up by Sanchez's form and ability - Ryan's no Sanchez but he was a £5m signing upon promotion. He was only ever a short term solution but good luck to him at Arsenal this season and whatever club we find for him in the summer.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Are they?

Their squad isn’t massively better than ours. They have a huge history but are not setting the World on fire currently. To be honest if they were doing better he wouldn’t be there they’d have a far better back up keeper. It’s a fact while having very rich owners, the club itself hasn’t got any money spare and the owners are not investing.

Anyway he’ll never play again for us and that makes me happy as we have a far better defence without him. Happy days.

I'll have some of what you're smoking if you don't think Arsenal is a massive step up.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

You obviously missed this https://www.instagram.com/p/CKb6ZbfBjcx/?igshid=kuzuk2ongh26

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
‘Arsenal are a massive step up from Brighton’

Nobody will say Arsenal aren’t a bigger club than us but it’s not exactly black and white is it, going somewhere to sit on the bench is never a step up from being a starting keeper for a team in the same league. It’s accepting being second choice, that’s what Ryan has done because he’s a goalkeeper, he knows how good Leno is and you can’t be that stupid to think you’re going to get in the team.

I don’t have a problem with that either, sign for a club you deem bigger and pick up your pay cheque every week, but don’t come out in the press and act as if we were a stepping stone and it’s moving your career forward, fact is we may have been a stepping stone if he’d been good enough, he’d have got a big club move. He wasn’t, that’s on him.

He literally says that this isn't how he foresaw him getting his move to a bigger club.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He literally says that this isn't how he foresaw him getting his move to a bigger club.

You’re getting desperate now.

If he says he’s made a massive step up, at least have actually made a ‘step up’ he’s gone from being a starting keeper for us to a glorified tartan blanket, I liked Ryan in his time here but he’s not fit to polish Leno’s boots.

Honestly how stupid does it makes you look to say you planned on being somewhere for 2/3 years before moving to a bigger club, when he got booted out and outperformed by an unheralded 23 year old keeper?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here