Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Really?

If so you would have thought that policy would have been implemented at the start of the season.
Very unusual to switch keepers mid season.

Add in the admitted training ground bust up with Maupay and Connolly.
I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

Obviously we're not privy to any training ground bust ups but there has been no reports of any issues like that with Ryan. Plus he was on the bench for the Spurs game where he was initially dropped, unlike Maupay who was dropped from the squad entirely.

But yeah, I think it makes sense that the club would want to move him once they decided he was no longer the #1.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No reason to show him the door though.

Sanchez is the new number one. It wouldn’t be good to keep a pissed off senior goalkeeper who’s just been demoted in the match day squads.

He had a route out the club, plenty of good reasons for all parties for him to move on.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Sometimes its better to say nothing - I think this was one of those times Maty.

Not just from a BHA point of view, but from an Arsenal one as well he’s done himself no favours as they’d surely be thinking ‘What’s the story with this guy?’

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you watch the video?

I haven’t, are you suggesting he is being misinterpreted in that tweet or whatever it is? If he said that I have no interest in listening to any more

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he keeps up the levels he’s at now, and doesn’t improve, 20 m wouldn’t buy his left leg.

Kepa,72 million, Allison 65 million.

Plus Spanish Bob qualifies as homegrown.

If he’s as good at the end of next season, as he is now, 40- 50 million.

I very much doubt that. Even if he has a blinder for us over the next year or so, playing in the bottom half of the PL for BHA, with no caps and no European experience will not make him a £40/£50m keeper by summer 2022. Pickford went for £25m from Sunderland to Everton in 2017, and was well in the frame for England by then. Sanchez won't be. I'd like you to be right, but Sanchez will not be pushing the kind of fees you're talking about in a years time.

Hopefully it'll be immaterial as we won't be looking to sell anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmmm OK springs to mind immediately BZ Virgs which tells a tale Although I’m not accusing them of Locardia itus
Glass hamstrings and Bridders didn’t work out Can’t think at the moment tbf
It’s a nice problem to have Shows Our improvement from the depths to where we find ourselves now
In an odd way it’s nice following the progress of those we let go So they can progress
Now at levels below us
Bosman has an effect on this Dare I say Muzza on a technicality?
As he got to the PL before us* But it scores minus points Because the working environment up the road
Is somewhat lacking in pest control

*As did Cook and Elphick!

Edit: should have read the whole thread for possible replies before posting! Apologies!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To paraphrase him, he said 'When I came to Brighton, my goal was to play 2-3 years and then move to be a bigger team. I got that move this January but not in the circumstances I wanted'.

“I’ve got myself a massive step up from Brighton” is the bit that riles me. Are you saying he didn’t say that?

He was a first team shoo in here until he let in just about every shot on target. He is now at a club where he won’t get a PL game unless Leno is injured. Only a moron or someone with serious delusions could call that a “massive step up”

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, he says Arsenal is a massive step up from Brighton. Would you disagree with that?

As a reserve keeper with no chance of a PL game barring injury to the first team keeper? Yes of course I disagree

I wonder if the Villa keeper is gutted to have downgraded

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
In the video Maty said he hoped to play here for a couple of seasons and move on to a bigger club, he says he wanted to be transferred permanently as a first team choice due to his performances so it hasn't worked out as planned. He then says that he's now been given a chance at a bigger club and he wants to enjoy the journey and progression of being at a club on a different level.

Honestly, are people really upset about that? How often have we said that we want ambitious players and not wanting a reputation for stopping players progression.

I swear that folk are often itching to have a go at former players.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
“I’ve got myself a massive step up from Brighton” is the bit that riles me. Are you saying he didn’t say that?

He was a first team shoo in here until he let in just about every shot on target. He is now at a club where he won’t get a PL game unless Leno is injured. Only a moron or someone with serious delusions could call that a “massive step up”
He grew up in Australia. Arsenal would have had an infinitely higher profile than us at the time. Of course he thinks it is a massive step up.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yes it was wrong to say that, he is still our player so what happens if Arsenal dont want him at the end of the season? He may have to eat his words come back to Brighton & try to regain his place (unlikely) or be moved on as a Brighton & Arsenal reject which may end up being a massive step down. Loved him to bits while he was here but i think he has said things that should have been kept to himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here