Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If he keeps up the levels he’s at now, and doesn’t improve, 20 m wouldn’t buy his left leg.

Keeps, 72 million, Allison 65 million.

Plus Spanish Bob qualifies as homegrown.

If he’s as good at the end of next season, as he is now, 40- 50 million.

I read "hologram" instead of "homegrown" and thought it was pretty trippy, sad my brain corrected it almost immediatly.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If he keeps up the levels he’s at now, and doesn’t improve, 20 m wouldn’t buy his left leg.

Kepa,72 million, Allison 65 million.

Plus Spanish Bob qualifies as homegrown.

If he’s as good at the end of next season, as he is now, 40- 50 million.

If Sanchez maintains this level we will do well to keep him. He’s an unreal character and talent for his age. Hopefully there’s a new contract on the way.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've seen the two clips now.
Interestingly there's no mention of how/why he was dropped for the Spurs game.
There seemed to be something wrong in the camp after the West Brom game and for a long time afterwards.
I don't think Maty was shown the door on performance alone.

Rightly or wrongly he was seen as a problem in the camp.
These interviews do nothing to dispel that opinion.

The club and Potter in particular gave him the opportunity to leave with his reputation intact.
It would probably have been wiser for Maty to have kept schtum.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've seen the two clips now.
Interestingly there's no mention of how/why he was dropped for the Spurs game.
There seemed to be something wrong in the camp after the West Brom game and for a long time afterwards.
I don't think Maty was shown the door on performance alone.

Rightly or wrongly he was seen as a problem in the camp.
These interviews do nothing to dispel that opinion.

The club and Potter in particular gave him the opportunity to leave with his reputation intact.
It would probably have been wiser for Maty to have kept schtum.

This is my reading of situation myself.
He had become too high maintenance to persist with, for a falling return.
In short, he wasn’t good enough to play the Prima Donna, and we had a more than capable replacement.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
This is my reading of situation myself.
He had become too high maintenance to persist with, for a falling return.
In short, he wasn’t good enough to play the Prima Donna, and we had a more than capable replacement.

The wicket keeper job might be coming up in the Aus team, prima donna-ness essential...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I’m not sure why he’s implying there were non footballing reasons for him losing his place. He was comfortably statistically the worst keeper in the Premier League this season.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Care to name the last player who successfully used us as a stepping stone? Most disappear into the abyss when they leave.

This is set to change with quite a few current players I think, Ryan is more an abyss player though :smile:

Ashley Barnes........:fishing:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I’m not sure why he’s implying there were non footballing reasons for him losing his place. He was comfortably statistically the worst keeper in the Premier League this season.

I think he is probably giving away more than he should here.
He isn't implying there were non-footballing reasons for losing his place.
But I'm sure there were non-footballing reasons for him being shown the door.

Potter admitted there was a bust up in the camp after(during??) the West Brom game.
Connolly, Maupay and Ryan were all dropped for the Spurs game.

Only Ryan was subsequently dropped again and then told he could leave if he wanted to.
Eventually being loaned out.

I don't think the full story coming out will benefit either club or player.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Regardless of how long we've had him he's only got about a dozen or so PL appearances under his belt. Give it a year and if he's maintained and built on the standards set so far, he'll be a £20m+ asset easily.

Martinez moved for £20m after 15 PL games. Sanchez is 5 years younger and counts as a HGP.

If he carries on as he is, he'll be worth at least £20m at the end of the season.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Martinez moved for £20m after 15 PL games. Sanchez is 5 years younger and counts as a HGP.

If he carries on as he is, he'll be worth at least £20m at the end of the season.

That will only be the case while Big Bob is on form and confident. It only takes one game of bloomers and he may lose his confidence. Lets hope it doesn't happen but it has happened to numerous good goalkeepers and the trick will be how he handle a loss of form. Trying not to be downbeat but he has been a revelation since he become number 1 choice and he has hardly put a foot wrong so lets hope he has the ability to keep this fantastic form going :clap2:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I think he is probably giving away more than he should here.
He isn't implying there were non-footballing reasons for losing his place.
But I'm sure there were non-footballing reasons for him being shown the door.

Potter admitted there was a bust up in the camp after(during??) the West Brom game.
Connolly, Maupay and Ryan were all dropped for the Spurs game.

Only Ryan was subsequently dropped again and then told he could leave if he wanted to.
Eventually being loaned out.

I don't think the full story coming out will benefit either club or player.

I really don't think it's that.

I think it has more to do with the clubs policy of going forward with younger players.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Martinez also counts as a HGP as he was 17 when he joined Arsenal. Certainly agree that Sanchez has to be worth a similar amount at the end of this season at the very least. Not that I can see us even entertaining selling him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I really don't think it's that.

I think it has more to do with the clubs policy of going forward with younger players.

Really?

If so you would have thought that policy would have been implemented at the start of the season.
Very unusual to switch keepers mid season.

Add in the admitted training ground bust up with Maupay and Connolly.
I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here