Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s a Feckin shame this isn’t a loan to buy
Because unless I’m mistaken he could return in the summer
Personally I wish him well and good luck Because of what he s done for us and How he went about it

If he does well in training and in the few games he might play, he probably have a good chance of getting bought even without the option being part of the loan deal. I cant see him playing for Brighton again.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
His stats are without a doubt down this year but I don't think he's underperformed for over a year? I don't remember any issues post lockdown and his save % last season was fine, plus on the Expected Gulls podcast they said that his 1-on-1 save percentage last season was the best in the league.

Alex we have had this discussion on NSC on loop, for I don’t know, maybe the last few years since I called out Ryan as a weak spot last season.

You love Matty. God bless you (I’m not religious mind), but you won’t accept any criticism of the man ever. I don’t know if he’s posed for a photo with you, or you’re a friend. But clearly you don’t want to be objective on this subject.

Sanchez is a better option for us, for this team right now. Obviously that’s what our coaches and GP believe. They go by stats. So by all means dress it up how you like, but Matty has conceded virtually a goal for every half decent effort for, this season and best part of last season.

Sanchez has been a revelation and is a really exciting talent. He’s already made several key saves and the confidence in our back line is there for all to see. Surely you can’t dispute that. I wish Matty all the best.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ryan has not saved us any points this season. I cannot recollect a major save where I've thought "wow, thats as good as a goal for us". He's been steady, he's not made any blatant errors, but neither can I recollect him ever properly bailing us out recently. He's gone from being a good PL keeper to average, with hologram tendencies. We need better, and so far, Spanish Bob is looking like an upgrade.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Alex we have had this discussion on NSC on loop, for I don’t know, maybe the last few years since I called out Ryan as a weak spot last season.

Been discussing for years, even though this only happened last season?

You love Matty. God bless you (I’m not religious mind), but you won’t accept any criticism of the man ever. I don’t know if he’s posed for a photo with you, or you’re a friend. But clearly you don’t want to be objective on this subject.

Don't want to be objective? I literally mentioned two factual statistics in my last post - one that shows his poor stats and one that shows his good stats.

Sanchez is a better option for us, for this team right now. Obviously that’s what our coaches and GP believe. They go by stats. So by all means dress it up how you like, but Matty has conceded virtually a goal for every half decent effort for, this season and best part of last season.

Yes, Sanchez is a better option for us right now. Please can you point me to where I have said otherwise?

Sanchez has been a revelation and is a really exciting talent. He’s already made several key saves and the confidence in our back line is there for all to see. Surely you can’t dispute that. I wish Matty all the best.

Sanchez is a really exciting talent, revelation is a bit hyperbolic.

Going back to objectivity, I think it is you that struggles with this. Another poster in a different thread called you a hypocrite and I tend to agree with them. Sanchez and Steele have both made errors that had it been Ryan, you would have crucified him for it. Yet with Steele, you literally started a thread praising him. Maybe you have a vendetta against Ryan?

Why does there have to be so much tribalism about everything? Can I not think that Ryan was/is largely fine but that also we could/should move in a different direction? I have noticed it with you in some of the 'Potter in/out' threads as well. Why does everything need to be so black and white, in vs out? Can people not think that our results have been poor but also recognize that this is a project and we are close to clicking?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Don't want to be objective? I literally mentioned two factual statistics in my last post - one that shows his poor stats and one that shows his good stats.

Yes, Sanchez is a better option for us right now. Please can you point me to where I have said otherwise?

Going back to objectivity, I think it is you that struggles with this. Another poster in a different thread called you a hypocrite and I tend to agree with them. Sanchez and Steele have both made errors that had it been Ryan, you would have crucified him for it. Yet with Steele, you literally started a thread praising him. Maybe you have a vendetta against Ryan?

Why does there have to be so much tribalism about everything? Can I not think that Ryan was/is largely fine but that also we could/should move in a different direction? I have noticed it with you in some of the 'Potter in/out' threads as well. Why does everything need to be so black and white, in vs out? Can people not think that our results have been poor but also recognize that this is a project and we are close to clicking?

Well firstly Sanchez and Steele are both starting their top flight career with us. Both extremely different scenarios from Matty who has had an unchallenged first team spot ever since we’ve been in the Premier League.

Sanchez has had a remarkable introduction for such a young keeper, I think the fact people responded positively in that thread suggests I’m not the only one who thinks that. The Steele thread was all about his character and balls. Where he made a horrendous gaff, but manned up and put in one of the most extraordinary performances I’ve ever seen from a goalkeeper in a shootout. Making 4 saves. Again, lots here agreed.

I can assure I have no vendetta against Matty Ryan. I just don’t rate him as a top goalkeeper. No one wanted him to prove me wrong more than myself. But in recent years aside from that one great save against Southampton. The performance just never came.

Ultimately I support the manager and the club with this decision and I will wholeheartedly back Sanchez and Steele when they play. All I want is the best for my club.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

There’s something unsettling about Ryan’s exit.
This is a bloke who performed very well for long periods, who entertained us, who gave everything, a team man, who trained hard....and yet it feels as if he’s leaving under something of a cloud.
His form may have tailed off (thanks for the exclusive on this Vagabond ) but even so...after his long service, Why can’t we just wish him well? I appreciate most fans are doing exactly that, but for others it’s like there’s a need to be proved right.
Ultimately, it’s a sad state of affairs if Mat Ryan drove up the M23 thinking “I’m glad I’m out of there”. Given the tone of his interview with the Australian paper, you have to wonder...
I reckon a change of club will once again bring out the best in Ryan. Don’t be surprised if he performs well in some high-profile cup games, Sanchez’s performances dip, and questions are asked about our goalkeeping options....

Last edited:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Good luck to the fellah - I'll always remember him sprinting up the pitch to join in our first premier league goal celebrations. Agree that if he has left under a cloud that would be a shame.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not sure I like the idea of being Arsenals feeder club when to my mind they're lower half table rivals , but barring injury to Leno and cup games I doubt Ryan will play at all so if he's happy there then who am I to disagree.

I sincerely hope we don't rip Sanchez to shreds if he drops the odd changer as he develops, but he looks to have everything a keeper needs to become successful.

First time I saw him play was away at Southend in the EFL trophy a few years ago and my all knowing always right partner said that in a few years that boy will be a top keeper .

Thus proving even a broken clock is correct twice a day :)

Good luck Maty thank's for some wonderful memories.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
The goalkeeper situation we now have is exactly that which some believe led to Maty's apparent deterioration; namely that there's no decent competiton for the number one spot. I'd be really surprised if we don't go for either a new number one or an experienced older backup in the near future.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I think we all agree that Mat Ryan has been a good solid keeper in his time with us, good attitude, good distribution, saves everything that is directly at him (note the deliberate wording of that last point).

Sometimes things go a bit stale though, and I think a fresh start at Arsenal will be good for him. I wish him well, because he has been a big part of our time in the Premier League.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
There’s something unsettling about Ryan’s exit.
This is a bloke who performed very well for long periods, who entertained us, who gave everything, a team man, who trained hard....and yet it feels as if he’s leaving under something of a cloud.
His form may have tailed off (thanks for the exclusive on this Vagabond ) but even so...after his long service, Why can’t we just wish him well? I appreciate most fans are doing exactly that, but for others it’s like there’s a need to be proved right.
Ultimately, it’s a sad state of affairs if Mat Ryan drove up the M23 thinking “I’m glad I’m out of there”. Given the tone of his interview with the Australian paper, you have to wonder...
I reckon a change of club will once again bring out the best in Ryan. Don’t be surprised if he performs well in some high-profile cup games, Sanchez’s performances dip, and questions are asked about our goalkeeping options....

Welcome to NSC! Endless posts by a few who drone on and on because they're obssesed with being right and having the last word!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think we all agree that Mat Ryan has been a good solid keeper in his time with us, good attitude, good distribution, saves everything that is directly at him (note the deliberate wording of that last point).

Sometimes things go a bit stale though, and I think a fresh start at Arsenal will be good for him. I wish him well, because he has been a big part of our time in the Premier League.

[emoji106]

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Wow. Your spin is awesome. Ever thought of a career in politics?

It's hardly spin from me.

You and Swansfan are inventing scenarios and using incendiary language ("disciplinary reasons", “blow out with the boss”, “going haywire”) in an attempt to pooh-pooh the idea that there's more to this than a loss of form.

There are a 101 things which could have happened off the pitch. I'm not going to speculate, but issues don't have to be physical fights, or problems directly between the player and manager.

In fact, the issue here might not even be Ryan's fault, or been instigated by him. So it's not a slur on the goalkeeper, as Swansfan said ("Personally I have higher thoughts about Ryan"), to suggest there's more to his exit than his form.

And going back to one of my previous posts, we know Potter has had to deal with off-field issues this season which has seen a player (at least two, I think) dropped for reasons other than form...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is he eligible to play in today’s early kick off?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It's hardly spin from me.

You and Swansfan are inventing scenarios and using incendiary language ("disciplinary reasons", “blow out with the boss”, “going haywire”) in an attempt to pooh-pooh the idea that there's more to this than a loss of form.

There are a 101 things which could have happened off the pitch. I'm not going to speculate, but issues don't have to be physical fights, or problems directly between the player and manager.

In fact, the issue here might not even be Ryan's fault, or been instigated by him. So it's not a slur on the goalkeeper, as Swansfan said ("Personally I have higher thoughts about Ryan"), to suggest there's more to his exit than his form.

And going back to one of my previous posts, we know Potter has had to deal with off-field issues this season which has seen a player (at least two, I think) dropped for reasons other than form...

:ffsparr:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here