Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Blow out with the boss?

How come the fans on this thread suggesting there couldn’t have been a problem behind the scenes are the ones coming up with the vivid scenarios of what might have happened?

Weird.

But you insinuated he left for other reasons than just poor form. I'm just saying we should look at the facts.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Surely it’s as simple as this. Potter has reinvented our defence, moving away from giants like Duffy in a low block and more towards ball players like White and Veltman. You therefore need a keeper who can dominate his box and win the ball.

This seems to have been on the clubs mind for some time, hence the summer link with Martinez. Ryan’s form made this more urgent, the bust up dropping was a catalyst and Sanchez’s improvement made him the solution.

Ultimately, he’s just no longer a fit. Nothing more sinister than that.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Surely it’s as simple as this. Potter has reinvented our defence, moving away from giants like Duffy in a low block and more towards ball players like White and Veltman. You therefore need a keeper who can dominate his box and win the ball.

This seems to have been on the clubs mind for some time, hence the summer link with Martinez. Ryan’s form made this more urgent, the bust up dropping was a catalyst and Sanchez’s improvement made him the solution.

Ultimately, he’s just no longer a fit. Nothing more sinister than that.

Very good summary of the whole Ryan situation. He is a good shot stopper but not what our defence requires. Simply that IMHO

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Whats not to like ?

The Club told Maty to find a new Club

Maty has found a new Club and Brighton will be getting some sort of Loan Fee for him right up till June.

That gives Maty's Agent time to find him a new Club after that - At that point a Sale Fee gets negotiated . If he had gone to a Dutch or German side there would be a bit less controversy over it. The fact he has gone to Arsenal it has left some people wondering '' have we done the right thing. Is there something more sinister to why the Club wanted to let him go '' None of that really matters now. It is obvious his Brighton Career is over now.

I would love to know the real reason behind him leaving and maybe one day I or others may find out why but by then I will probably have lost interest in wanting to know.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Whats not to like ?

The Club told Maty to find a new Club

Maty has found a new Club and Brighton will be getting some sort of Loan Fee for him right up till June.

That gives Maty's Agent time to find him a new Club after that - At that point a Sale Fee gets negotiated . If he had gone to a Dutch or German side there would be a bit less controversy over it. The fact he has gone to Arsenal it has left some people wondering '' have we done the right thing. Is there something more sinister to why the Club wanted to let him go '' None of that really matters now. It is obvious his Brighton Career is over now.

I would love to know the real reason behind him leaving and maybe one day I or others may find out why but by then I will probably have lost interest in wanting to know.

Had a punch up with another player so i heard but then the other player is still with us so unlikely to be true?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Good luck Maty. What I really do like about Potter, is that he knows who he wants and those he doesn’t, he ships out quickly!

Absolutely.

And when you look at what Andone, Locadia, Duffy, Murray, Montoya, Schelotto and Stephens have done since leaving us, he’s not been wrong either has he?

I don’t think he’s wrong on this either.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

It’s quite simple. He conceded a goal for nearly every effort on target.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It’s quite simple. He conceded a goal for nearly every effort on target.

I doubt it is that simple. You don't go from being first choice keeper to ''out the door'' in 4 weeks for that reason

I will hear about it eventually but everybody probably closing ranks and not giving anything away at the moment.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I doubt it is that simple. You don't go from being first choice keeper to ''out the door'' in 4 weeks for that reason

I will hear about it eventually but everybody probably closing ranks and not giving anything away at the moment.

The decision may have been executed within 4 weeks but it was likely a long time coming.

The stats back this up. Our club bases a lot on data analytics, the fact that we had a keeper letting in a goal everytime a shot was on target would not have been missed by Bloom himself, let alone GP and our data science team.

Matty has underperformed for over a year. Why is this so hard to believe for you?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
The decision may have been executed within 4 weeks but it was likely a long time coming.

The stats back this up. Our club bases a lot on data analytics, the fact that we had a keeper letting in a goal everytime a shot was on target would not have been missed by Bloom himself, let alone GP and our data science team.

Matty has underperformed for over a year. Why is this so hard to believe for you?

His stats are without a doubt down this year but I don't think he's underperformed for over a year? I don't remember any issues post lockdown and his save % last season was fine, plus on the Expected Gulls podcast they said that his 1-on-1 save percentage last season was the best in the league.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We were heavily linked with Martinez in the summer before he went to Villa so replacing Ryan was always the clubs plan.

Good guy and done a job but Sanchez already looking a safer pair of hands and can’t be easy being unseated as a goalkeeper

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
It’s a Feckin shame this isn’t a loan to buy
Because unless I’m mistaken he could return in the summer
Personally I wish him well and good luck Because of what he s done for us and How he went about it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
His stats are without a doubt down this year but I don't think he's underperformed for over a year? I don't remember any issues post lockdown and his save % last season was fine, plus on the Expected Gulls podcast they said that his 1-on-1 save percentage last season was the best in the league.

His performance did drop after lockdown. Not necessarily errors that led to goals but there were simple mistakes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here