Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ahem.

So what can we expect from the Australia international now that he’s a Gooner?

“I’d say on the field it's probably my reliability as a goalkeeper,” Ryan told Arsenal.com. “I feel like I'm quite consistent with my performances.

He certainly has been... consistent.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
But they're probably not off the books, not completely anyway - and they could be handed back to us in any window, whether we want them back or not; or they'll become free agents, with no benefit to us at all. OK, this is a quiet window for everyone, but we've never been much good at selling on players.

Dean Saunders
Eric Young
Bobby Z
All seemed bad sales at the time as I recollect

Montoya now I’m sure I read something to the extent of how the whole costs over the term are bundled together
Rather than just separate values of transfer / wages / resale or termination agreements etc
Which was why he seemingly left for very little or free The club felt they d had the value out of the deal
Quite how it works is probably one for El Presidente to explain
But I think it’s kind of how the ever changing squad value is calculated
I’m sure someone will explain it better than I have

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
10 years ago, who would have guessed Brighton players would be loaned out to teams like Arsenal to get more chance of game time :lol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Strange thoughts from some on buying / selling players for profit.

Football players are purchased club assets that, generally, only depreciate in value [they get older and/or break] - bit like cars, lucky if you get your money back, and unless it's a rare gem of quality [in demand] expect to receive less than you paid for it.

Of course there will always be exceptions, but I'd wager, probably 90% of premier league player transfer sales are less than purchase price.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Are they really going to risk Ryan in a europa league knock out game against a very good side in Benfica? Highly doubt it myself, will he play in the FA cup game? Potentially. He’s deluding himself if he thinks he’s going to go there and play. I guess he’ll play more than he was going to here even if he gets one game :shrug:

Would be a shame at his age if he’s just settling on being a bench warmer at a bigger team, he’s quite young for a keeper.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I actually thought he was suspect last season as well. He was solid under Hughton though.

An even bigger reason for him to move on then. I'll always remember him simply for being our first ever Premier League keeper though, and for my money at least, the best player we have ever had in that position.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Dean Saunders
Eric Young
Bobby Z
All seemed bad sales at the time as I recollect

Montoya now I’m sure I read something to the extent of how the whole costs over the term are bundled together
Rather than just separate values of transfer / wages / resale or termination agreements etc
Which was why he seemingly left for very little or free The club felt they d had the value out of the deal
Quite how it works is probably one for El Presidente to explain
But I think it’s kind of how the ever changing squad value is calculated
I’m sure someone will explain it better than I have

Zamora was very bad luck - held onto him for an extra season hoping he'd score some goals in the Championship and increase his value further. He did so, but then the ITV Digital collapse completely ****ed the transfer market.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’ve been looking at some of the arsenal media .
It’s as if they’ve signed Gordon Banks!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, its extremely difficult to get a decent experienced No2 goalkeeper in, because they know all they'll be doing 99% of the time is training, travelling, and benchwarming. Outfield players have more of an opportunity to stake a claim or fill in somewhere, but managers tend to "stick" with their No1 goalkeeper unless their form completely drops off a cliff or they get crocked. There simply aren't many decent keepers of PL standard knocking about who would be prepared to come here to be a No2.

Sanchez has been patient and earned his chance at keeping the gloves, and we have a couple of capable unstudies as cover. Without spending a fortune on a new No1, which would not appear to be the plan, then thats about as good as its gonna get.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good solution for everyone.

Brighton gets rid of a player who had his mind elsewhere and wanted to leave the club.

Arsenal gets a decent backup keeper.

Ryan gets his, albeit short-term but why wouldnt he be good enough to be their permanent backup?, move to a "big club" (apparently also his favorite one) competing in Europe (Europa League, but anyway).

People saying Ryan "must have been a dickhead" or whatever are obviously *****, why would you make such baseless accusations about a good servant to the club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Can't be arsed to read through all of this but I did see that he'd put some clips of him saving penalties up on his facebook page. Good lad :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Fair enough - we didn't do badly on the buying side, it's the other end of the deal that I'm concerned that we're not very good at.

We'd only get top value if we sold them on at or near their peak. I for one am rather glad we haven't been doing that.

In Ryan's case we'll be getting a loan fee from Arsenal that will likely be the equivalent of a transfer fee pro-rated for a 6 month contract, and his eventual sell- on value is more likely to increase at Arsenal than it would stuck in our stiffs for the next half season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here