Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I disagree.

Sanchez looks (very)promising but he's massively inexperienced. A loss of form wouldn't be unusual. That or a red card or injury would see one of the other two playing premier league football. Steele is not a premier league calibre goalkeeper. As for Walton,sadly nothing I've seen or read about him suggests to me that he is a premier league level keeper either.

So what we're left with is a young, inexperienced keeper who looks the part and two keepers who are more experienced but not good enough for premier league level. And, yes, that's my opinion but even if you take the opinion that they could be good enough as far as I'm aware neither of them has played a minute of premier league football.

That to me is a precarious situation for what is one of, if not the, most important positions on the pitch.

We’ll have to disagree then.

Walton two seasons at championship level.
Steele England U21s, and a number of seasons at championship level - hardly inexperienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You could argue that the defence in those examples were all over the place,

Sanchez is a better keeper in my opinion, but there has been yet another personality clash with Potter, so out you go my son.

In my opinion he cannot manage certain players his forte is in his coaching ability which isn't always the best.

You’re making some leaps though Neil. You admit Sanchez is a better keeper. So that’s the reason.

Potter recognised the qualities of Sanchez. Had the balls to start him, and we’re seeing an upside in performances and now results.

I know it’s not an exciting story. But It could be as simple as that. No bust up required.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Potter treated Matty like dogshite. Matty didn't deserve that. Karma will come back to haunt Potter.

Please.

Because he dropped a player. Part and parcel of football.
Spare me the tears please, I’m sure Matty will survive on his £40k per week and go back to his mansion every night.

“Treated like dogs shite”. Do me a favour.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Potter treated Matty like dogshite. Matty didn't deserve that. Karma will come back to haunt Potter.

What utter rubbish. You have no idea, as neither do I what has been going on.

Take it you were not about in the Mullery years? Now that was how to treat a goalkeeper badly.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You’re making some leaps though Neil. You admit Sanchez is a better keeper. So that’s the reason.

Potter recognised the qualities of Sanchez. Had the balls to start him, and we’re seeing an upside in performances and now results.

I know it’s not an exciting story. But It could be as simple as that. No bust up required.

Agreed, Potter did recognise the qualities of Sanchez, having watched those clips though, I'm not convinced Sanchez would have saved any of them.

A slight concern is if Sanchez gets injured god forbid, could Steele or Walton step up to this level, I suppose they must feel they can?

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
Jesus Christ. People on this forum love to cook up a bit of drama.

I'm afraid to say that Ryan, an absolute gent and a class keeper on his day, has been poor this season. He hasn't been commanding his area and, more importantly, hasn't been making the saves expected of a Premier League goalkeeper. Sanchez was give a chance and the kid played well. Ryan's poor performances continued and Sanchez was given more of a run. Great saves from Sanchez against teams like Fulham, Arsenal and City solidified his place as the the first choice keeper.

Ryan deserves to be playing first team football, so the club wasn't going to stand in the way of a move. With a move away from Brighton inevitable, Potter has understandably included Steele or Walton as the no.2 over Ryan, since Ryan wasn't likely to be part of the club's plans, nor were the club going to be part of his.

So Ryan gets a loan move to the club he supported as a kid, at least making the Arsenal bench in the process. Brighton get a high earning player off the books, and avoid the awkwardness of having a senior player around the squad who isn't happy. Everyone wins.

I love Ryan more than the next bloke, but there's no room for sentimentality in football, especially when you're in a relegation dog fight. Potter made a big call making Sanchez no.1. In my view, it was the right decision.

Thank you for the memories Ryan. Great bloke, great keeper and, most importantly, HATES Palace. Best of luck for the future.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It looks like Leno might be signing for LA Galaxy...

LA-Galaxy-Tonight-Show-w-Jay-Leno-1996.jpg

I have that 1996 shirt. A true classic.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think Ryan lost his air of invincibility. It’s been obvious to our opposition players that all they have to do is get a shot on target against us this season and it’s likely to go in. The fact that we concede the most goals per shot in the entire football league backs this up. Break it down and he has not made many glaring errors at all, whether it be penalties, deflected shots or top bins; he was just not getting close to anything. Potter & Roberts will be in a much better position to work out why Ryan didn’t look like saving a thing. They’ve now rectified that problem by replacing him rather than helping him find his mojo.

If you are a Striker bearing down on Sanchez and have seen his string or recent saves (as well as his 6ft 7” bulk), you’re going to think twice about how you shoot. Hopefully he might get to the level of Pope one day. But any player would back themselves to score past Ryan at the moment - that perception needs to be fixed , it’ll be interesting to know how Arsenal repair his reputation and self esteem.

I honestly think that all this could be rectified, just with a change of scene. Potter doesn't want him, he is probably feeling somewhat unloved, confidence is such a massive thing with many players.

A new start with a new club, could very well be all that Maty Ryan needs to regain his old form.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
I'm pretty happy with the GK group of Sanchez, Walton and Steele. Would've been inappropriate to keep Ryan on as backup given his status and the wages he earns at the club. Had to be done once he lost the number 1 jersey.

Walton will likely take over from Sanchez in the next few months I reckon, when there is an appropriate moment.

EDIT - I do find it slightly odd this is a loan deal. Ryan has 18 months left on his contract, surely Arsenal could pay 2 or 3 million for him and buy him out of his contract?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Did he? Were you there? There's an awful lot of speculation on this thread, and unless any of us are really in the know, none of us know the circumstances.

An awful lot of presumptions being made. but then that's what this site seems largely based on most of the time.

The true facts? we will probably never know them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps nobody wants them?

Best to get him off the books somehow as the window draws to a close.

But they're probably not off the books, not completely anyway - and they could be handed back to us in any window, whether we want them back or not; or they'll become free agents, with no benefit to us at all. OK, this is a quiet window for everyone, but we've never been much good at selling on players.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
EDIT - I do find it slightly odd this is a loan deal. Ryan has 18 months left on his contract, surely Arsenal could pay 2 or 3 million for him and buy him out of his contract?

Arsenal are skint. They've just had to borrow £120M from the Bank of England as a short term loan

el punal

With a post like that I can only assume any of the following :

1. You’re a wind up merchant that thinks he’s clever on the sarcasm front.

2. You’re Maty Ryan’s mum.

3. You’re the bloke in the pub (in lockdown) who heard it from the girlfriend of the brother of the bloke who used to be the barman there but isn’t there anymore.

Take your pick. :drink:

P.S. - 4. Skippy the bush kangaroo told you.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well from reading that interview, it would appear that Maty has no intention of going there as purely a number two.

:lolol: You seriously think he thinks he’s going to get in the team ahead of Leno? :lolol:

Of course he’s not going to say I’ve come here to sit on the bench and possibly play the odd FA cup game, he’s not deluded, Leno is one of the best keepers in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here