Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course I understand that - but we are so unbelievably bad at it! If we want to progress, using our sustainability model, we will not only need to develop our own players (and sell on some of them for big fees a la Southampton, Leicester, etc.), but also sell players we no longer need in order to be able to occasionally pay a higher price for a player to fill a gap we ca't fill (striker anyone?).

But we're never going to get there as long as we're seen as a soft touch, a small club that'll accept peanuts for our players. Look at our record:
Duffy - can't sell, on loan;
Ryan, can't sell, on loan;
Locadia, can't sell, on loan;
Andone, couldn't sell, loaned out, bounced straight back to us.
Martin Montoya, couldn't sell, gave him away;
Ollie Norwood, loaned out, loaned out again (winning Championships) and sold for peanuts (and finishing above us in the league last season);
Bernardo, can't sell, loaned out;
David Button, practically given away for about a quarter of what we paid for him;
Dale Stephens, practically given away to a relegation rival;
Kayal, loaned out until his contract ended.

It's not a good record, is it? - we paid millions for some of those players. Strewth - gong back we even let Murray go for nothing!

You don't know if we got millions in loan fees for those players

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How much do you think Bissouma, Lamptey, White, Webster, Connolly would be worth if we sold them ?

I've no idea - the question's a bit whataboutery really isn't it - I was only considering those we have - or rather haven't - sold.

FWIW, I don't think we'd get much for Connolly; I don't think we'd get any more than we paid for Webster, and I don't think we'd get much more for White than Leeds were offering in the summer - not that we'd necessarily want to sell, of course. Bissouma and Lamptey - genuinely no idea.
Only thing I'm sure of is that we wouldn't get as much as Southampton or Leicester would!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Seems incredable to me that little old Brighton are loaning one of our players to Arsenal, it does not seem that long ago that Arsenal were lending us thier young player, Steve Sidwell while we rattled around in league one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're right - there are some duds in there - but you can easily argue we got very decent value out of some of them:

Duffy - £4m - a snip really given we got 4 years of mostly great service out of him. Certainly one of the key reasons we got promoted.
Stephens - £1m (or thereabouts) - we got 7 seasons out of him, and then managed to get around £1m from Burnley for a 30-year old.
Kayal - £1m? (probably less) - we got 4 or 5 seasons out of him (two or three were excellent, and it would have been more but for injury). By the time we sold him he was over 30.

And Ryan himself has proved excellent value - £5m for three and a half years. He was great for at least two and a half years.
Fair enough - we didn't do badly on the buying side, it's the other end of the deal that I'm concerned that we're not very good at.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've no idea - the question's a bit whataboutery really isn't it - I was only considering those we have - or rather haven't - sold.

FWIW, I don't think we'd get much for Connolly; I don't think we'd get any more than we paid for Webster, and I don't think we'd get much more for White than Leeds were offering in the summer - not that we'd necessarily want to sell, of course. Bissouma and Lamptey - genuinely no idea.
Only thing I'm sure of is that we wouldn't get as much as Southampton or Leicester would!

In case you are not aware there is a pandemic on. Many PL clubs, let alone overseas or lower league teams are financially struggling. There is not money flying around for transfers. There was something on the Athletic basically saying this window would be largely a window of loans with clubs desperately trying to offload wages for players no longer required. This is exactly what happened here.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Seems incredable to me that little old Brighton are loaning one of our players to Arsenal, it does not seem that long ago that Arsenal were lending us thier young player, Steve Sidwell while we rattled around in league one.

I remember as a young lad seeing us play at the Goldstone, and being absolutely gutted that Paul Dickov was recalled from loan by Arsenal..!

He was brilliant at our level. And applauded all of us and we applauded back. We felt like such a small club then.

As you say, incredible how far we’ve come.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In case you are not aware there is a pandemic on. Many PL clubs, let alone overseas or lower league teams are financially struggling. There is not money flying around for transfers. There was something on the Athletic basically saying this window would be largely a window of loans with clubs desperately trying to offload wages for players no longer required. This is exactly what happened here.

I'm extremely well aware of the pandemic, thank you very much. Ryan is the only transfer I was citing in this transfer window. Our record over the years is a problem, as I stated on a previous post.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I remember as a young lad seeing us play at the Goldstone, and being absolutely gutted that Paul Dickov was recalled from loan by Arsenal..!

He was brilliant at our level. And applauded all of us and we applauded back. We felt like such a small club then.

As you say, incredible how far we’ve come.

Me too.

Was it Mark Flatts that came from Arsenal with Dickov? He didn't stay as long I think - certainly didn't have the impact of Dickov

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm extremely well aware of the pandemic, thank you very much. Ryan is the only transfer I was citing in this transfer window. Our record over the years is a problem, as I stated on a previous post.

The problem is Premier League wages, and to sell a player you need the club to also agree to the move.

If Brighton are paying Locadia £30k a week, why would he drop down to £5k/week somewhere else? Unless we pay up his contract in full

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
From an Arsenal messageboard.................

Among Premier League goalkeepers last season, only Kepa Arrizabalaga, Alisson and Ederson registered a higher passing accuracy rate than Ryan. The Australian is adept at playing out from the back, making him a good fit for Arsenal's style, and his long-range kicking ability is another weapon when it comes to building attacks.

Erm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who's going to tell 'em that sometimes stats aren't always what they appear to be :ohmy:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If Ryan gets his mojo back he'll give Leno a run for his money

I think Ryan lost his air of invincibility. It’s been obvious to our opposition players that all they have to do is get a shot on target against us this season and it’s likely to go in. The fact that we concede the most goals per shot in the entire football league backs this up. Break it down and he has not made many glaring errors at all, whether it be penalties, deflected shots or top bins; he was just not getting close to anything. Potter & Roberts will be in a much better position to work out why Ryan didn’t look like saving a thing. They’ve now rectified that problem by replacing him rather than helping him find his mojo.

If you are a Striker bearing down on Sanchez and have seen his string or recent saves (as well as his 6ft 7” bulk), you’re going to think twice about how you shoot. Hopefully he might get to the level of Pope one day. But any player would back themselves to score past Ryan at the moment - that perception needs to be fixed , it’ll be interesting to know how Arsenal repair his reputation and self esteem.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
And therein lies my original point. I don't know, but I will take what I do know straight from the horse's mouth - i.e. the goalkeeping coach's point of view, which far outweighs yours or my point of view, and his view differs from yours.

O.K

The chances of Ben Roberts telling you that he doesn't think Steele and Walton are premier league quality are slim. But, at the risk of us going round in circles and making myself sound like I'm slagging off two of our players, I'll concede the point.:thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The problem is Premier League wages, and to sell a player you need the club to also agree to the move.

Yes, I know that! :facepalm: - as stated in several earlier posts. The fact remains, and my point is that, pandemic or no pandemic, we're not very good at it!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
[tweet]1352574595950325766[/tweet]

You could argue that the defence in those examples were all over the place,

Sanchez is a better keeper in my opinion, but there has been yet another personality clash with Potter, so out you go my son.

In my opinion he cannot manage certain players his forte is in his coaching ability which isn't always the best.

A slight caveat about Potter, if he does manage to take us to the dizzy heights of the Premier League and sustains it for a couple of seasons,

he will be procured by one of the bigger fish in the Premier League and we will be up shits creek without a paddle.

Bloom will pocket the cash and we will be back to square one. Just a thought.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Doesn't seem at all a great move to me.

Ryan wants first team football to retain his place in the Australian team (or so we all assume) so goes to sit on the bench at Arsenal. Doesn't make sense.

We don't want him any more - so why can't we f***in' sell anybody instead of fannying about loaning them? First Duffy and now Ryan - should have sold them both and banked some cash. IMHO that is - I realise other opinions are available!

Perhaps nobody wants them?

Best to get him off the books somehow as the window draws to a close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here