Maty seems happy about it.

[tweet]1352572529194496001[/tweet]

Thrilled.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 114536.png

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Hopes there’s a clause to stop him playing against the bottom 6, except us of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A slightly strange piece of business but, as Simster says, has undoubtedly had a falling out. A shame as he seemed one of the good guys, great with the fans and bringer of the "pile on" goal celebration.

That said we've looked markedly stronger against opposition crosses when Sanchez has played.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn’t take a genius to work out there has been a falling out that’s been well covered up does it.

In the public eye Ryan has always come across as very professional but I can’t imagine an international goalkeeper taking it very well, being dropped for an untested young keeper. Given the issues earlier in the season with Maupay perhaps he’s not the consummate professional we all think?

Maybe this falling out with Maupay has continued to fester, causing a bad atmosphere within the squad. If thats the case and it remained unsolvable between them, then one of them had to go.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes fare thee well Maty.

As someone else has said; best keeper we've ever had (but Bobby Sanchez is better)

I think 'best keeper we've ever had' is a bit of a stretch. You've even contradicted yourself in the same sentence.

Unless I'm being whooshed.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
Chuffed to bits about this.

Ryan moves to his boyhood club for the chance to play for them.

We unload him from the wage bill for a short amount of time and get a loan fee. If he does well at Arsenal, he might have some more potential buyers and we can get a good price for him.

The only downside is losing a superb professional who has served us well, but I suppose, as time moves forward - so do we.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe this falling out with Maupay has continued to fester, causing a bad atmosphere within the squad. If thats the case and it remained unsolvable between them, then one of them had to go.

I honestly cannot see a manager dropping or sending a keeper out on loan because a player has fallen out with him. That would be allowing the players to dictate his management.

I think the defence has improved with Sanchez in goal, because they trust him, so they can concentrate on their own jobs,

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
As if we didn't know already, he simply must have had a major bust up to go from first choice, to failing to make the bench, to Arsenal on loan...

Agreed. Going from a (we don't even want you as a) bench warmer at the Albion to bench warmer at Arsenal, smacks of a bust up. I reckon it was the Maupay, Connolly fracas, and Potter decided he needed to keep two strikers happy (Potter gave LOTS of vocal/written support to 'poor' Neal after that incident, and zero to Ryan as I remember...?) rather than one keeper.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Really?

Seriously?

If Dunk left, that would be a sad day.

Ryan has been so so, very average for AGES. Glad that he has left, he was last good for us a year ago when he actually made terrific saves. Now he doesn't save or command his box.

I think he was part of a good team that we had in our first few seasons in the PL. He clearly got on well with the players at the time and looked like he was enjoying his football. Always gave time for the fans at the end of a game and seemed a decent bloke. So yeah, sad that he feels his time with Brighton is up and he would rather move on. Seems like he has been frozen out of the squad, understand why he was dropped for his recent form but didn't look like there was a route for him to get back into the team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's only got 18 months left on his contract, so can't see us getting all that much for him in the summer.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

...unsolvable even with the highly regarded management techniques on offer...hmmm...probably true but sad

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think 'best keeper we've ever had' is a bit of a stretch. You've even contradicted yourself in the same sentence.

No whooshing intended. My point is that he's very good, but we won't miss him particularly.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I seriously doubt that we will see Ryan again in a Brighton shirt. It was made clear that he wanted first team football so I’m a little surprised he’s gone to Arsenal as can’t see him dislodging Leno.

Personally I think one of the main drivers for his exit and his dropping from our squads stems from his contract situation. It expires next summer and as he was a key player for us we would have entered extension talks last summer. If Ryan had made it clear that he wouldn’t be signing then I believe Potter’s reaction would be to phase him out and give others a chance to be our number one.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sad to see him go and dismayed at the whole situation. He did well for us, seemed like a top bloke and it’s a pity none of us were able to see him play ‘live’ for us again.

Great move for him.

Now, who are we signing? It’s January 22nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This. A good guy but not sure he was as good as Mosely or Corrigan and Sanchez's potential is massive.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lets not forget the COVID impact - if the club was already losing £20M+ a season without COVID that is surely only going to worsen. We have a big squad and if Maty Ryan as a top earner is not first choice any more - then why would we not get him off the books.

Lets say Ryan is on £40k a week, Sanchez is £5k a week that is a big saving there

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I honestly cannot see a manager dropping or sending a keeper out on loan because a player has fallen out with him. That would be allowing the players to dictate his management.

I think the defence has improved with Sanchez in goal, because they trust him, so they can concentrate on their own jobs,

The manager has made the decision that he no longer wants Ryan in the squad - thats not the players dictating anything. If there's been a personality clash and a major incident between Maupay and Ryan, and as a result created an issue between Potter and Ryan, then if he feels for the sake of the unity of the squad its best that he now moves on, then thats his own decision to make. Hughton did exactly the same with Andone.

If thats the case then I think GP has done the right thing, rather than let it fester for the rest of the season (as well as wasting TB's money on paying a substantial wage to someone who is not going to feature).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He's only got 18 months left on his contract, so can't see us getting all that much for him in the summer.

Yep, I'd have sold him rather than a loan. He won't play for us again, so why not try and recoup as much as possible?

I do of course appreciate that it will free up wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here