Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan and the global team.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's massively irresponsible on the part of our Government not to have required everyone coming into the country to self isolate for 14 days. Many countries have even enforced 14 days quarantine on anyone entering from abroad. Why our Government only insisted on quarantining for a few instances early on is beyond me. And why the delay on now insisting on 14 day isolation is equally baffling.

while i thought it obvious policy and remiss of our government not to impose checks and quarantine on travellers, it turns out many European countries have not applied such measures and only now doing so. where they announced border controls last month the exceptions allowed pretty much everyone except holiday travel to cross borders.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sounds a right mess over there.

From your Government's website:

Since 29 March 2020, all travellers arriving in Australia by air or sea must be isolated in mandatory quarantine accommodation for 14 days from their arrival, with few exceptions. After mandatory quarantine, they can transit domestically and travel home.

These requirements are managed and enforced by state and territory governments with Australian Government support, including from the Australian Defence Force and Australian Border Force.

Travellers are quarantined in the city they arrive in for 14 days, even if they don’t normally live there or plan to travel elsewhere in Australia from there.

That just seems like plain old common sense to me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
while i thought it obvious policy and remiss of our government not to impose checks and quarantine on travellers, it turns out many European countries have not applied such measures and only now doing so. where they announced border controls last month the exceptions allowed pretty much everyone except holiday travel to cross borders.

Got any more details?

I was under the impression most countries have had quarantine/self isolating measures in place for sometime now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
this is report on Spain's new rule, with link to similar for France at end. seems only non-EU were previously barred.

Thanks for the follow up.

Regarding Spain, I'm quite surprised that they too, along with France it seems, are only implementing quarantine restrictions now in a bid to stop a second wave of infections. European countries that have fared reasonable well, like Portugal, have had quarantine restrictions in place from very early on.

I've done a little bit of research myself since and I'm quite surprised that already there's a lot of talk of 'tourist corridors' being opened up soon between certain European countries, such as Germany and Austria for example and even extending to Greece, who rely heavily on tourism but so far have fared quite well with the virus.

For much of Europe, land borders can make things trickier. I feel we are in a privileged position position, as an island nation to control our borders. We could easily have followed the lead of nations like Australia , New Zealand and Singapore on this. But Boris was clear right from the off on keeping our borders fully open. Economic balancing act obviously, and I appreciate that, but it seems irresponsible to me not to insist on a 14 day self isolation for people coming in from the start of this.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
From your Government's website:

Since 29 March 2020, all travellers arriving in Australia by air or sea must be isolated in mandatory quarantine accommodation for 14 days from their arrival, with few exceptions. After mandatory quarantine, they can transit domestically and travel home.

These requirements are managed and enforced by state and territory governments with Australian Government support, including from the Australian Defence Force and Australian Border Force.

Travellers are quarantined in the city they arrive in for 14 days, even if they don’t normally live there or plan to travel elsewhere in Australia from there.

That just seems like plain old common sense to me.

We are lucky to be in Western Australia, the whole of the state has half the population of Melbourne and being this sparsely populated has helped, especially when borders are closed. It has just been reported that no one is being treated for this virus now in any WA hospitals.
Densly populated areas were always going to be the worst to suffer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here