Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - analysis & discussion

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting view - the way I’ve seen it is with ball at feet is one area where Maty excels (outstanding control and equally good with either foot), and we’ve actually been playing the ball longer with Sanchez in goal.

It is an interesting view*, but what's not being taken into account there is that Ryan's distribution became poorer the further it went. He never managed to get the power and distance that Sanchez does, and there were very few counter-attacks launched by his initaitive -- and this is something that Sanchez has shown real promise. I agree with the thrust of the view though: Ryan was the right man at the right time and has done a great job and hasn't been off form (can't really remember any howlers), but he's really suffered from Duffy's absence IMO, and Roberts and Potter at this stage have been vindicated in their decision.

*The only thing I disagree with is the comment about Ryan giving the ball to Dunk or Bruno -- it invariably went to Murray on the touchline, only just beyond the half way point (which reinforces my power/distance comment)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is an interesting view*, but what's not being taken into account there is that Ryan's distribution became poorer the further it went. He never managed to get the power and distance that Sanchez does, and there were very few counter-attacks launched by his initaitive -- and this is something that Sanchez has shown real promise. I agree with the thrust of the view though: Ryan was the right man at the right time and has done a great job and hasn't been off form (can't really remember any howlers), but he's really suffered from Duffy's absence IMO, and Roberts and Potter at this stage have been vindicated in their decision.

*The only thing I disagree with is the comment about Ryan giving the ball to Dunk or Bruno -- it invariably went to Murray on the touchline, only just beyond the half way point (which reinforces my power/distance comment)

Agreed. Sanchez has been kicking long more often than Maty for sure - what we don’t know is whether that is because he can (ie did GP get Maty playing it short because his long range kicking was poor?) or whether there are other tactical reasons - probably a bit of both. It possibly explains some of the reason for BDB playing, as he provides a clear outlet on the far left with his height. Sanchez looks much, much better on crosses - far more willing and able to come for them and far more imposing, which obviously has a positive impact on the CBs.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How did Sanchez end up signing for us as a 15 year old in 2013 (according to Wiki)? This would've been at least a year before the academy and all of its associated support opened and would've prevented us taking an overseas player at such a young age, wouldn't it?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How did Sanchez end up signing for us as a 15 year old in 2013 (according to Wiki)? This would've been at least a year before the academy and all of its associated support opened and would've prevented us taking an overseas player at such a young age, wouldn't it?

We were able to sign Sanchez at 15 as the FIFA rules allowed moves for players under 18 if the transfer was between countries within the EU or the European Economic Area. We'd actually be prevented from signing him today if he was 15 as the new rules post Brexit prevent the signing of foreign players that are under 18.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

I may be misremembering here, but wasn’t the scouting of Sanchez one of those accidental ones? Someone went to go check out a different player but Sanchez stood out more?

I’m sure there was some weird quirk to his signing.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Agreed. Sanchez has been kicking long more often than Maty for sure - what we don’t know is whether that is because he can (ie did GP get Maty playing it short because his long range kicking was poor?) or whether there are other tactical reasons - probably a bit of both. It possibly explains some of the reason for BDB playing, as he provides a clear outlet on the far left with his height. Sanchez looks much, much better on crosses - far more willing and able to come for them and far more imposing, which obviously has a positive impact on the CBs.

And he’s got hands the size of wheelbarrows I can’t recall him dropping anything as yet?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I may be misremembering here, but wasn’t the scouting of Sanchez one of those accidental ones? Someone went to go check out a different player but Sanchez stood out more?

I’m sure there was some weird quirk to his signing.

That was what supposedly happened with Walton; I don't know about Sanchez.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I may have this wrong (and I suspect if this is the case [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] will be able to put it right), but I'm pretty sure that Sanchez arrived when Oscar was here, and that he had something to do with his arrival.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I may have this wrong (and I suspect if this is the case [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION] will be able to put it right), but I'm pretty sure that Sanchez arrived when Oscar was here, and that he had something to do with his arrival.

Sanchez moved from a grassroots football club called EF Ciudad Jardin to Levante in August 2013 - Robert, un portero cadete del Ciudad Jardín, ficha por el Levante juvenil

According to this article about Sanchez in The Athletic in November, he himself says he was 15 when he signed for Albion after a month's trial. The Sanchez profile on the club website also says that he moved to England when he was 15.

He had his 16th birthday on November 18 2013. Therefore, Mark Anderson's Spanish scouting trip must have been in the first few months of that 2013-14 season.

Presumably Sanchez came over to England during that 2013-14 season, which would have been his U-16 schoolboy season. The new academy/training ground opened in the summer of 2014.

Sanchez should have started his scholarship in the summer of 2014 - he was in the squad of U-18 players that travelled to Portugal for pre-season training in July 2014. However, there were issues that meant he was never actually signed as a scholar, and he didn't make a single appearance for the U-18s or U-21s (as they were then) during 2014-15. I presume this is related to the compensation complications mentioned by Mark Anderson in the Argus article:-

“We didn’t sign him until he was 17. He was very cheap even then and especially compared to what you pay for young players now.” Sanchez had been with several clubs as a kid and they were all entitled to compensation, which complicated the deal.

Albion finally announced in May 2015 that he had signed a professional contract with the club, which was essentially the club's first public acknowledgement of his existence, which led to this NSC thread - Who is Albion goalkeeper Robert Sanchez? :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Finding all this stuff on Sanchez and the links on here I came across this 2015 post from AZ Gull, and being a chap with nothing better to do, I thought I'd have a look to see where all these lads are 5-6 years on, and in casde anybody's interested, I added my researches to the list. Mostly from Wiki, so no guarantees that it's all accurate (and apologies if any inaccuracies invluded).

The names listed in the opening post on this thread were actually the scholars for 2014-15 (and a handful of U-16 players):-
2nd-year scholars:
Ben Barclay - CB at Accrington Stanley;
Dylan Barnett - Bray Waderers, via Bognor Regis Town (loan);
Will Collar - DM at Hamilton Accies;
Josh Courtney - at Loxwood, Sussex County League;
Jamie Horncastle - Chichester FC;
Des Hutchinson -, now switched to hurling;
Ragnar Mar Larusson - plays for Afturelding (Iceland?)
Connor Pring - looks like he's joined Tunbridge Wells, after not getting much game time at Herne Bay;
Jack Rowe-Hurst - Horsham FC;
Connor Tighe - Burgess Hill Town FC.

1st-year scholars:
George Brown - appears to have dropped out of football (mind you, there's a lot of George Browns on t'inteernet!
Tom Cadman - Whitehawk;
George Cox - LB at Fortuna Sittard.;
Jordan Maguire-Drew - Crawley Town (on loan from Orient);
Remi Meyers - seems to have disappeared;
James Tilley also at Crawley Town;
Bailey Vose - GK at Margate FC;
Ben White - believed to have gone to lead the Champions if Europe back to world domination ........

U-16s:
Robert Sanchez - Albion first team;
Max Sanders - Albion first team squad;
Luis Garcia - still at UD Las Palmas?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Finding all this stuff on Sanchez and the links on here I came across this 2015 post from AZ Gull, and being a chap with nothing better to do, I thought I'd have a look to see where all these lads are 5-6 years on, and in casde anybody's interested, I added my researches to the list. Mostly from Wiki, so no guarantees that it's all accurate (and apologies if any inaccuracies invluded).

The names listed in the opening post on this thread were actually the scholars for 2014-15 (and a handful of U-16 players):-
2nd-year scholars:
Des Hutchinson, now switched to hurling;
Ragnar Mar Larusson, plays for Afturelding (Iceland?)
Connor Pring, looks like he's joined Tunbridge Wells, after not getting much game time at Herne Bay;
Jack Rowe-Hurst, Horsham FC;

1st-year scholars:
George Brown - appears to have dropped out of football (mind you, there's a lot of George Browns on t'inteernet!
Tom Cadman - Whitehawk;
Ben White - believed to have gone to lead the Champions if Europe back to world domination ........

U-16s:

Better hit rate than most academies already I suspect

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

2nd-year scholars:
Des Hutchinson -, now switched to hurling;
Ragnar Mar Larusson - plays for Afturelding (Iceland?)
Connor Pring - looks like he's joined Tunbridge Wells, after not getting much game time at Herne Bay;
Jack Rowe-Hurst - Horsham FC;

1st-year scholars:
Tom Cadman - Whitehawk;

U-16s:

Good work.

To fill in the blanks:-

George Brown - he was never actually taken on as a scholar at Albion. He officially joined the Woking FC academy system in the summer of 2015 and went on to captain the U-18s, U-19s and U-23s. He made a couple of first team appearances in cup competitions but was released and had a spell out of the game. He signed for Hassocks in February 2019. He has been back at Hassocks this season.

Remi Meyers - seemed to drop out of the game after we released him at the end of his scholarship.

Luis Garcia - as it happens, just today he committed to join the Men's Soccer Program at Providence College in Rhode Island:-

1234.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good work.

George Brown - he was never actually taken on as a scholar at Albion. He officially joined the Woking FC academy system in the summer of 2015 and went on to captain the U-18s, U-19s and U-23s. He made a couple of first team appearances in cup competitions but was released and had a spell out of the game. He signed for Hassocks in February 2019. He has been back at Hassocks this season.

Remi Meyers - seemed to drop out of the game after we released him at the end of his scholarship.

Luis Garcia - as it happens, just today he committed to join the Men's Soccer Program at Providence College in Rhode Island:-

View attachment 132787

Last saw George Brown giving us the biggun from the home end at Millwall in the FA Cup QF (my lad was at school with him). How we laughed 😂😂😂

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good work.

As ever, I bow to your superior know;edge - and wonder where the hell you get it all from!
:thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Eh, what are you on about? His form dropped and he was replaced by a better keeper. No disrespect, just appropriate team selection.

Nobody believes that he's not good enough to be challenging Sanchez.

He's certainly a far better keeper than Steele so why isn't he at least on the bench?

Then the club put out social media with the keepers involved and no sight of Ryan.

For someone who has been a good clubman in the time they have been at the club and contributed to us staying up several seasons to just seemingly wipe his presence from the club out with no explanation does create a shit look.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Nobody believes that he's not good enough to be challenging Sanchez.

He's certainly a far better keeper than Steele so why isn't he at least on the bench?

Then the club put out social media with the keepers involved and no sight of Ryan.

For someone who has been a good clubman in the time they have been at the club and contributed to us staying up several seasons to just seemingly wipe his presence from the club out with no explanation does create a shit look.

You're talking crap - yesterday the club tweeted out a "Wallpapers Wednesday" with Sanchez and Steele:-

[TWEET]1351839386669899779[/TWEET]

The club had tweeted out one for Ryan back in December:-

[TWEET]1334052181494829056[/TWEET]

Potter has gone on record as saying that he thinks Steele performs the "sub 'keeper" role very well - he obviously sees that as a very particular job and believes Steele is best suited to perform it.

Ryan has been dropped, simple as, but he hasn't been treated shabbily in any way whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here