Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mattresses.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I will look into this.

Regarding cost I figure I spend a third of my day in bed, and I want to be comfortable, so it makes sense to spend accordingly.
A very sensible way to look at it. I was always cheap on the purchase. Recently I came to the same conclusion as you so invested.

I got a Tempur mattress and like the it has the fancy cooling thing but I kind of miss my old mattress which was a silent night medium tension one. It just felt softer and cost about 3k less.

As a side note, I did get a crazy good deal on an Emma mattress on a website called brandalley. It was 50% off but delivery ended up being a month longer and I needed it within a week so cancelled. If you’re not in a rush it might be worth checking out and they have other high end brands. I’ve got other stuff and it’s been fine but delivery is sometimes delayed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Hessian sack and fresh straw or hay. Straw as a base layer with hay on top.
A tick mattress known as a paillasse or palliasse. Interestingly they were still being used at Christ Hospital School into the 70's.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Simba don’t ship outside the UK so I have to rule them out. Shame as they seem good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If either of you (presumptuous by me, or better still all of you :lolol:) ever feel too warm at night, avoid all the popular foam based mattresses.

We’ve a traditional style Vispring mattress, expensive, cool in summer, lasts forever. Heavy!
Vispring is moving into pole position. Company was formed in 1901, I’m no cosmic cat but I know a sign when I see one. “hand tufted” element appeals as well.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After checking out Which and other reviews about 2 years ago, we bought a Superking Eve Hybrid Duo plus just as the company went into admin and were offering really good deals. It's a mixture of springs and memory foam and has been superb.

I believe they have since been bought out by Bensons, so if the build hasn't changed, I'd recommend one of them :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
If either of you (presumptuous by me, or better still all of you :lolol:) ever feel too warm at night, avoid all the popular foam based mattresses.

We’ve a traditional style Vispring mattress, expensive, cool in summer, lasts forever. Heavy!
So have we.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Years ago we used to have a bed shop as a second business we catered more for the lower end customer base to be fair. The top of the range mattress back then which was super comfortable pocket springs memory foam topper from our supplier was £200 wholesale for the double. An easy £600 sale. An average double we paid £80-90 a budget between £40-50. It’s really good profit if you can be bothered lugging mattresses about.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I bought an Eve mattress a couple of years ago, really happy with it as I need something firm and it's just right for me.

I did find the whole process a bit of a minefield, but its a decent system of the roll-up companies have, where you send it back no questions asked.

You definitely need a week to get used to a new mattress, I nearly sent mine back after the first night!

Jul 7, 2003
Hypnos for me, used by many of the top hotels and also many of the major chain hotels. We’ve had our current one for many years and still just as comfortable as it was when we got it. It is a pillow top mattress (alpaca if I remember correctly) so while not cheap, definitely a good long term investment.

What I would say is to find a decent shop where you can try them out. Any decent bed sales person will happily let you lie on the bed for ages as that is the best test.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I just checked our pillows. Tempur. They cost about £50 each. Worth every penny.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Hypnos for me, used by many of the top hotels and also many of the major chain hotels. We’ve had our current one for many years and still just as comfortable as it was when we got it. It is a pillow top mattress (alpaca if I remember correctly) so while not cheap, definitely a good long term investment.

What I would say is to find a decent shop where you can try them out. Any decent bed sales person will happily let you lie on the bed for ages as that is the best test.
On offer at John Lewis https://www.johnlewis.com/hypnos-lu...ring-mattress-firm-tension-king-size/p5719508

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Sort of related to this thread is how often do you Dyson/Hoover/vacuum your mattress? We do ours now each month and the amount of dead skin cells that are collected is amazing when you see them in the container. Those are the ones that escape through the bottom sheet and mattress protector. Staying in hotels quite a bit I now wonder how often they do theirs?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Sort of related to this thread is how often do you Dyson/Hoover/vacuum your mattress? We do ours now each month and the amount of dead skin cells that are collected is amazing when you see them in the container. Those are the ones that escape through the bottom sheet and mattress protector. Staying in hotels quite a bit I now wonder how often they do theirs?
O.M.G. ...... never have :(

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Current mattress is a DreamFlex which was a hybrid (pocket spring but with a thin layer of foam on top) lasted us 9 years and was genuinely looking for a like for like replacement as it was that good but it’s now been discontinued

Spend about 2 hours yesterday trying our mattress’s and have decided on this, as being the most similar to what we have

Premier 3000 Mattress

Part of HAMSEYS PREMIER RANGE the Premier 3000 Mattress – Hamseys features a deep layer of OPEN CELL FOAM. This 4cm deep comfort layer moulds perfectly to the contours of your body but with the incredible response to your movements as you sleep – To create your own perfect balance of comfort this mattress is available in medium or firm support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here