Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to Sheff Weds?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We should be getting on with the job of signing players not having to wait for people to turn up for work.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Problem is I have a (hopefully unfounded) fear that Gus has a bit of a soft spot for Painter .. in the same way as Dicker "he is the only one that really understands how I want the game played" or whatever it was. They've both made good contributions to our success but hope sentiment is put aside and we can move forward.
Yeah that really concerns me as dicker and painter are league 1 standards,had their day here and did well like you say but they need to be released.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Dicker and Painter do seem to have Gus' eyes and ears but both are in my view squad players at best; and slower than the average carthorse.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could we nip in and get Nicky Shorey signed he must be an improvement on Marcus Painter. He is a defensive minded full back as opposd to an attacking one like Mattock.

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
Dicker and Painter do seem to have Gus' eyes and ears but both are in my view squad players at best; and slower than the average carthorse.

Best get used to Dicker and Painter oh and Sparrow, they are here to stay and will play more next season than you could imagine.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Best get used to Dicker and Painter oh and Sparrow, they are here to stay and will play more next season than you could imagine.

Couldn't disagree more. We will definitely be getting a new left back in and if we get better midfielders then dicker and sparrow will be moved on. Gus is certainly not stupid and will know they are not up to it at championship level, especially if we have ambitions.

For what its worth I think it is a huge mistake missing out on Mattock. It makes me laugh how many on here now claim 'oh well, he wasnt that great at defending' When I think he was probably the best left back we've had in a decade. However I agree we shouldnt be paying stupid wages, thats how clubs get in the shyte, just hope we have a plan B lined up who is just as good and young.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
They are indeed, but you should check out the reaction to this thread by a few of their gobshites on owlstalk. We are apparently small shitty little Brighton who have no chance when the big boys like them come calling. They point to their huge gates as proof of this.

Odd then, that our gates were consistently better than theirs last season. They may have averaged a few more last season, but this was swelled by 3 massive gates which can be accommodated in their cavernous outdated rust bucket and it just goes to show how plastic a large portion of their support actually is. Their median league gate (middle) gate was actually 2,000 lower than ours at just 18,000.

In any case, this attendance guff ignores the more important corporate facilities available at other clubs. The Amex for example can generate more money than many bigger grounds just because we can host nearly 3,000 corporate guests in 1901. I bet even the 37,000 capacity Hillsborough struggles to compete with that.

So yeah, of course Wednesday are historically a bigger club than us and most of the division, but some of their fans really do have massive delusions of grandeur. One crap season and we'll see 17,000 rattling around oversized Hillsborough again. (That's 4,000 fewer than we've sold season tickets this season)

You seem to forget that they were in a lower division last season.

They are a significantly bigger club than us.

They will get higher gates than us.

This bigging us up is really embarrasing and shows how some of our fans know nothing about football.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
You seem to forget that they were in a lower division last season.

They are a significantly bigger club than us.

They will get higher gates than us.

This bigging us up is really embarrasing and shows how some of our fans know nothing about football.

Is this a joke!!! Our new stadium, ambition, plans for increased capacity, plans for new football academy, amount of season ticket holders would suggest its you how knows shit all about football

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Couldn't disagree more. We will definitely be getting a new left back in and if we get better midfielders then dicker and sparrow will be moved on. Gus is certainly not stupid and will know they are not up to it at championship level, especially if we have ambitions.

For what its worth I think it is a huge mistake missing out on Mattock. It makes me laugh how many on here now claim 'oh well, he wasnt that great at defending' When I think he was probably the best left back we've had in a decade. However I agree we shouldnt be paying stupid wages, thats how clubs get in the shyte, just hope we have a plan B lined up who is just as good and young.

Please explain how it is a huge mistake missing out on Mattock? Do you know what we offered him compared to other clubs? Do you know what his thoughts were about location? We have lost him to another club but that doesn't mean it is a huge mistake.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of the major problems with signing players especially those from northern clubs must be the cost of relocating to Sussex and the cost of houses even if they are on £350-400k per year as opposed to somebody like Mattock moving from Leicester to Sheffield if in fact he does move rather than commute everyday..

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Please explain how it is a huge mistake missing out on Mattock? Do you know what we offered him compared to other clubs? Do you know what his thoughts were about location? We have lost him to another club but that doesn't mean it is a huge mistake.

Well the way I see it is he is the best left back we've had at the club for over 10 years. We havn't signed him for whatever reasons (whether Gus didnt quite like him or we didnt offer him enough money) but either way we only have Marcus Painter as repacement (id prefer to see Vincelot there but Gus prefers Painter) which in my opinion is a big mistake. Until we do get a decent replacement of course

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perhaps the shame of almost cutting his own bollock off made him run away up north.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting post from the Argus site

"Just to let you all know about Mr Mattock i spoke to his dad at the Barnsley game, he said he would like to join the albion but they wouldnt pay the wages, he said they were offering 3/4k a week and he wanted much more than that and to finish off he said "it was all about the money" so he was another mercenary! i thought he was good but if its all about the money he is better off at SW, we want people to play for the shirt. Some may say we could have offered 6 or 7 and we may have got him but look at Murray 12k a week and he cant get in their team! Gus was right on that one so i trust his judgement on Mattock. No doubt the LB position will be added to, if they really wanted him they would have got him, no doubt"

If it's right you might wonder whether Gus already has a primary target for leftback and it wasn't Mattock from before the end of his loan?
(That said I am 100% that we did offer him a deal)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

With these players we could end up fighting relegation.

Im not particularly worried though because theres no way we will end up with a worse squad than we had last year, if Gus's 5 year plan is to be believed.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

I doubt it because if that is true Gus won't last long in the job, and we won't last long in the Championship. All three players are nowhere near the standard we require to make a stab at the playoffs next year.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It was when Mattock was in it but wasnt before then. All successful sides build from a solid base at the back.

our defense were fine before mattock turned up,lack of goals stopped us winning games and getting into the play offs or automatic promotion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here