Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to Sheff Weds?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
did we really miss him when he was out nursing his nuts??

i was unfortunate enough to be at Upton Park, when painter started, he was absolutely shit and run ragged........ great at L1 level, hopelessly slow and not up to championship level, he was woeful that day and they skinned him for fun.

decent LB and keeper are our most required targets imo, we dont have either that are good enough for a promotion chasing championship club

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm more concerned about keeping Painter than losing Mattock. I really hope we find a better solution

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
i was unfortunate enough to be at Upton Park, when painter started, he was absolutely shit and run ragged........ great at L1 level, hopelessly slow and not up to championship level, he was woeful that day and they skinned him for fun.

decent LB and keeper are our most required targets imo, we dont have either that are good enough for a promotion chasing championship club

I was too at upton park and Painter was awful just like the remaining home games he played in. Mattock IMO was good and am gutted we haven't signed him but I also do think that their is better elsewhere maybe Faubert from west ham? he has been released too? (not that I really like the guy, in the NSC words he could do a job)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dave Jones is getting a few good players in for this level and knows this division well so I think that Sheff Wed will be near to or just outside of the play offs come May, much like us this season.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
A bit of a shame as Mattock did so well for us last season. Sheffield Wednesday have got themselves a decent Championship left back there.

Nicky Shorey was also released by West Brom. I'm not sure if he's signed anywhere yet.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Shame. I really enjoyed watching him play. Gus must have something else planned. Perhaps Grant Hall could slot in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a feeling that we will all be pleasantly surprised by our signings this summer. Maybe Gus' attitude to signing Mattock was similar to that of signing Murray last year. Only at the right price?

We never replaced Murray, we'd better manage to replace Mattock with at least an equally good LB or we'll struggle down that side. Gus does not always get it right and letting Murray go/not finding a replacement forward capable of holding the ball up, finding the net and defending well was a ricket. I hope Gus does have someone better lined up but I do get the impression he wasn't that sold on Mattock.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It'll be fine. Greg Bobkin can play left back.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Faubert was at west ham (appears to be a twat though)

Twats can be decent footballers. Leicester fans thought Mattock was/is a twat.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Let's face it any half decent left back would look good after seeing painter week after week,plenty of left backs around im sure so not worried at all:clap2:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Let's face it any half decent left back would look good after seeing painter week after week,plenty of left backs around im sure so not worried at all:clap2:

Problem is I have a (hopefully unfounded) fear that Gus has a bit of a soft spot for Painter .. in the same way as Dicker "he is the only one that really understands how I want the game played" or whatever it was. They've both made good contributions to our success but hope sentiment is put aside and we can move forward.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Disappointing but we won't be signing anyone until gus gets back from uruguay & barber takes up his post. Mattock obviously wanted to get something tied up ASAP. I'm confident that we will have someone decent in place by August

Not sure about Barber - surely he's starting date is some time off? When does Gus get back, I think he's the more relevant returnee!!?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Disappointed that we haven't got Mattock. Can't see there being many/any better left backs on a free transfer.

Am sure there must be a plan B though. Gus said he knew exactly where we need to strengthen and it was pretty obvious to every fan (and opposing manager) that left back was a real weakness with Painter at Championship level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here