Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to Sheff Weds?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why would the fact he's a free agent mean he can demand more wages?
I'd have thought the opposite - Surely a player is more likely to demand higher wages if a fee is involved rather than if they're on a free..
Does this mean Navarro will be demanding mega bucks now he's left us and is on a free!?

Navarro is a poor comparison to use. He is over 30 and i don't see many clubs falling over themselves to get his signature unlike Mattock who is only 22.

Still i get what you are saying though.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Navarro is a poor comparison to use. He is over 30 and i don't see many clubs falling over themselves to get his signature unlike Mattock who is only 22.

Still i get what you are saying though.

it was meant in jest - Knew i should of used a laughing smiley!!
Personally i don't think it's the end of the world if we miss out on Mattock, specially if he's demanding silly money.. As others have said, defensively he wasn't that great.. obviously a good prospect at 22 though.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Hall plays LB as well as CB. Obviously, we might not keep hold of him but he's a better option than Painter imo.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
if a player ( Like Murray ) wants to demand silly wages, then let them do it....Sheff Weds are not exactly a step up ( Like Palace ) are they?

I would imagine that Sheffield Wednesday are a better club to aim at than Palace. I dare say they'll average more than13 thousand unlike poor little palace.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Why would the fact he's a free agent mean he can demand more wages?
I'd have thought the opposite - Surely a player is more likely to demand higher wages if a fee is involved rather than if they're on a free..
Does this mean Navarro will be demanding mega bucks now he's left us and is on a free!?

Because the club don't have to pay a transfer fee, the player and his agent can use that to leverage a higher wage/signing fee.
Especially if multiple clubs are interested (as is/was the case with Mattock)

Obviously Navs case is different.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
if a player ( Like Murray ) wants to demand silly wages, then let them do it....Sheff Weds are not exactly a step up ( Like Palace ) are they?

Murray didn't demand silly wages.
They were half that of many other Championship strikers, to fix his last pro contract,
and the effect on the Club's cash flows would have been a tiny fraction of the cash flows expended on CMS & Hoskins's: transfer fees, agents fees, signing on lump sums, and higher wages.

It just became an impasse between Gus & Murray.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Murray didn't demand silly wages.
They were half that of many other Championship strikers, to fix his last pro contract,
and the effect on the Club's cash flows would have been a tiny fraction of the cash flows expended on CMS & Hoskins's: transfer fees, agents fees, signing on lump sums, and higher wages.

It just became an impasse between Gus & Murray.

And....14k pw

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I would have liked Mattock to sign but he is pretty average at defending but very good going forward.I am not sure Gus is convinced about his defending.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
Money is always an issue plus he might know people at Wednesday ? Be a shame like other people have said as he was really good for us. Got to trust in gus really and hope him and board are sorting it out ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wednesday are a bigger club
They are indeed, but you should check out the reaction to this thread by a few of their gobshites on owlstalk. We are apparently small shitty little Brighton who have no chance when the big boys like them come calling. They point to their huge gates as proof of this.

Odd then, that our gates were consistently better than theirs last season. They may have averaged a few more last season, but this was swelled by 3 massive gates which can be accommodated in their cavernous outdated rust bucket and it just goes to show how plastic a large portion of their support actually is. Their median league gate (middle) gate was actually 2,000 lower than ours at just 18,000.

In any case, this attendance guff ignores the more important corporate facilities available at other clubs. The Amex for example can generate more money than many bigger grounds just because we can host nearly 3,000 corporate guests in 1901. I bet even the 37,000 capacity Hillsborough struggles to compete with that.

So yeah, of course Wednesday are historically a bigger club than us and most of the division, but some of their fans really do have massive delusions of grandeur. One crap season and we'll see 17,000 rattling around oversized Hillsborough again. (That's 4,000 fewer than we've sold season tickets this season)

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I like Mattock and would be disappointed if he went elsewhere. His only real problem that was every time he got forward, he kept cutting inside onto his right foot and became too predictable in that respect. Very solid player though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Spoken to a friend of mine who is close to WBA. He thought Mattock was going to sign for us and is a bit surprised if he has opted for Wednesday............. well actually not. What he said was "if they are offering more, what would you do?". But when I mentioned £20K a week he snorted his coffee down his nose and suggested I think again..........."I don't know anything at all but I promise you, no way will he be getting that much."

So realistically they are probably offering a better deal but not silly money that some on here would like to think. Wednesday are historically a big club and Mandaric is throwing big money at getting them into the Premier League - as he has at previous clubs.I think they have a very good chance and good luck but I do hope their fans keep a handle on the risk (based on his track record a near certainty) of financial implosion before too long.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

If Di Matteo becomes Chelsea boss, we'll get (of have a better chance of getting) some of their reserves, I think it what PMB was implying...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here