Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mattock to Sheff Weds?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have a friend who is very close to West Brom. A week or so ago he reckoned Mattock was "very likely" to sign for us but as he has said to me before "football is football and it's never certain until the contract is registered". I will see if he's around for a word tomorrow although with the noises coming out of Sheffield we might already have confirmation by then :shrug:

Was oit the Reading game where Gus went absolutely ballistic at Mattock for leaving them too much space on his side? My memory is getting shocking but I'm sure he dropped him for a game or so (ballsack injuries apart) so maybe that influenced the young man?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Would I want us to pay Joe Mattock £20k per week? I've got to say no. He's a full back, not a star player or a matchwinner.

For what it's worth, I thought he was alright last season, to be honest he looked a lot better going forward than he did defending at times. He didn't make that many mistakes, granted, and he's better than Painter, but I do feel his attacking instincts sometimes camouflaged his defensive deficiencies. If we sign him, fine- he's young enough to improve- if we don't, I can live with it quite happily.

£20k per week is Pompey wages. I really would be uncomfortable with us paying that to a full back at this level.

Yes.

Dont see what the problem is. Painter can do a job still.

No.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Vincelot 1000x over Painter.

Agreed.
Painter was a great servant at League One level, but even there, his complete lack of pace was noticable & exposed during his Championship games.
If we reach Sept 1st and he is our first choice leftback, that, shockingly, will leave a massive weakspot for rivals to exploit again, and make promotion highly unlikely.

Championship fullbacks earn no where near £1m per year, even at Sheff Weds or Pompey.

To compare, the very top strikers might earn up to £13,000 pw.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Love the fact that some one on here has decided that Mattock wanted 20k a week and all the sheep who post believe this. I would imagine that no one knows what any of or players are on or what TB is willing to pay. Still a bloke who is connected to the club told me...................:facepalm:

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
Would I want us to pay Joe Mattock £20k per week? I've got to say no. He's a full back, not a star player or a matchwinner.

For what it's worth, I thought he was alright last season, to be honest he looked a lot better going forward than he did defending at times. He didn't make that many mistakes, granted, and he's better than Painter, but I do feel his attacking instincts sometimes camouflaged his defensive deficiencies. If we sign him, fine- he's young enough to improve- if we don't, I can live with it quite happily.

£20k per week is Pompey wages. I really would be uncomfortable with us paying that to a full back at this level.

I love the "need to sort out our wage budget asap" comment.

We have sorted it out. It is what it is. We are not Pompey, waving imaginary money around and ending up thirty nautical miles up Shit Creek. We spend what we can afford to spend, and anyone on here or elsewhere that thinks we should be picking up players for more than that is both deluded and utterly stupid.

That's what a BUDGET is for, people. It tells us how much money we have. Have a chat with Mr Micawber if you want to know the basic principle.

Well said, both posts are spot on and are written with common sense. There is no way they would allow Mattock to become our highest earner (if he DID want 20k).

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I have no idea how much Mattock would be asking for.

However it isn't unrealistic to think that it would be higher than average as he's a free agent.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So any one who has a different opionon is a dick head ? class.

It's because your 'stick man' has a phallus coming out of its forehead..

You Sir, are the complete winner of the... :facepalm:

Stickboy.. Take everything with a fistful of salt on here, take nothing personally. Everyone has over inflated egos and talks enough shite which ironically, keeps us very entertained outside of the football season. Welcome.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Out of interest, where has this £20k figure come from?

Souns a bit like a few on here are faced with trying to work out why someone wouldn't choose us, and the only thing they can think of is that someone must have offered them silly money. Delusions of grandeur I'm afraid. We love this club, and we are the most attractive we have been to players in many a decade .... but that still doesn't mean we are everyones first choice. Sheffield Weds are a massive club, and maybe he simply preferred to move from the Midlands to Sheffield, rather than down to the South Coast.

Anyway, I still hope none of this is true, as I'd like us to sign him, and I'd like to think he's not got such an inflated opinion of himself that he thinks he's worth anything like £20k a week. WBA have seen more of him than anyone, and they clearly don't rate him as a Premiership full-back, so there is no way we should be offering him that sort of money!

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Sources pmsl under bloom no one on here knows f*** all just sad fucks saying they have sources all bullshit :nono:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Wasn't convinced? He was our best loan signing last season and would walk back into our team next year. I hope the gossip is bullshit as he's better than championship.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Wasn't convinced? He was our best loan signing last season and would walk back into our team next year. I hope the gossip is bullshit as he's better than championship.

this, although I think Championship is indeed his level at the moment

Webbzy

South West Corner Seagull
Jun 3, 2012
Portslade
I don't want this to happen but got a bad feeling it will go through, shame I thought he was the best of the loan signings and more consistent than most players towards the end of the season.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
I have no idea how much Mattock would be asking for.

However it isn't unrealistic to think that it would be higher than average as he's a free agent.

Why would the fact he's a free agent mean he can demand more wages?
I'd have thought the opposite - Surely a player is more likely to demand higher wages if a fee is involved rather than if they're on a free..
Does this mean Navarro will be demanding mega bucks now he's left us and is on a free!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here