Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Ryan

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He was pretty crap for us on the whole and is evidently still crap.

If teams like these can get to the semis, surely we would be favourites if we qualify?
Yes easily. AZ are bang average. No way any of their team get in ours.

However English teams have that massive handicap of the relentlessly hard epl.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

If teams like these can get to the semis, surely we would be favourites if we qualify?
Only with a few experienced reinforcements to the squad IMO.
See how we are now struggling a bit with injuries and fatigue after a long cup run and with 5 games still to go.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Whoops, wrong thread!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-214825.png
    Screenshot_20230511-214825.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 54

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Interesting article about AZ and moneyball on the BBC that briefly mentions us. Mentions Ali J and Jansen (?) the striker we were linked with that flopped at Spurs. Shows we are obviously using similar data given they've also signed Ryan, although clearly who ever is actually interpreting the data is a lot better at it here now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

"On the whole", he wasn't "pretty bad". He was very decent in the Hughton era because his role was different with Duffy any Dunk in front of him. He wasn't needed to crosses or to dominate his area, it was to stop shots which he did pretty well.

The change to Potter did for him as the role of the keeper changed. The amount of historical revisionism that happens when people leave our club is laughable sometimes. Would he get in the side now? No. Does that make him crap when he played for us? Also no.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
"On the whole", he wasn't "pretty bad". He was very decent in the Hughton era because his role was different with Duffy any Dunk in front of him. He wasn't needed to crosses or to dominate his area, it was to stop shots which he did pretty well.

The change to Potter did for him as the role of the keeper changed. The amount of historical revisionism that happens when people leave our club is laughable sometimes. Would he get in the side now? No. Does that make him crap when he played for us? Also no.
There’s a highlight (or lowlight) reel of his mistakes somewhere posted on twitter and I think I’d forgotten how many mistakes he made.

However that save he made at Southampton away is still probably the best I’ve ever seen, an absolute stunner of a save, he was capable of brilliant reflexes but on the whole he was a very average keeper all round IMO, think poor is harsh.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Southampton save was sensational, I seem to recall a double save home to Palace, but frequently beaten from distance, and really quite ordinary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I know I shouldn't bite, but am going to anyway.

What do you get out of writing that, for what I assume is the 368th time?

Yes the Albion are in a much better place now, but we didn't get to here because Ryan left.

We aren't top 10, dreaming of Europe, despite Ryan, Propper, Bernardo, and Christ knows how many more.

We're where we are because of them - and everyone else up and down the club.

The fella was an honest team member who clearly wasn't crap, he has now left the club, which has moved on - why write that, AGAIN?

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
There’s a highlight (or lowlight) reel of his mistakes somewhere posted on twitter and I think I’d forgotten how many mistakes he made.

However that save he made at Southampton away is still probably the best I’ve ever seen, an absolute stunner of a save, he was capable of brilliant reflexes but on the whole he was a very average keeper all round IMO, think poor is harsh.
There is, but that's because of the weird fetish some of our fans have for caning former players like Ryan. That guy Yapi on Twitter is a total tool. I'm sure you could just as easily make a fairly hefty lowlight reel for Sanchez if you put your mind to it, and I'm sure someone will.

(By the way, I'm using the general "you", this isn't directed at you specifically)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I know I shouldn't bite, but am going to anyway.

What do you get out of writing that, for what I assume is the 368th time?

Yes the Albion are in a much better place now, but we didn't get to here because Ryan left.

We aren't top 10, dreaming of Europe, despite Ryan, Propper, Bernardo, and Christ knows how many more.

We're where we are because of them - and everyone else up and down the club.

The fella was an honest team member who clearly wasn't crap he has now left, we've moved on - why write that, AGAIN?
If I could "like" this comment, more than once, I would

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here